Don't know where this goes but please read!

Options
Hi all! I would like to know if you have ever joined weight watchers before. And If so do you see more results there then here? I just joined it few days ago. I don't know if I should even keep on paying for it or just stick to here. I some what do like it there but it only reads points and not calories. I don't know what to do. If this isn't supposed to be in the forums. Truly sorry. But please don't delete this til I get some answers. Thank you!

Replies

• iulia_maddie
    iulia_maddie Posts: 2,780 Member
    Options
    Stick with MFP. It's free.
  • craigmandu
    craigmandu Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Why pay for something you don't need??????

WW operates on the same principle...operating on a calorie-deficit to lose weight...they just mask it in their points system.
  • JustME1611
    JustME1611 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I tried weight watchers about 6 years ago and lost 22 lbs. My mom swears by it. It's basically just watching portions anyway right? So why pay someone to do that, just stick with MFP and save $! :smile:
  • ShallaLovee1
    ShallaLovee1 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Yeah, why pay for that when you can get support and everything here for FREE! I like free. It's all about what you put in it. MFP gives you a great starting point. It helps lead you in the right direction but from there it's all you. It gives you recommendations for what they think you should be in-taking. Eat, exercise and you'll be all good. Good luck to you!
  • jadedgrrl
    jadedgrrl Posts: 24
    Options
    The points system is pretty deceiving too, since so many fruits and vegies don't count as points at all, so even within your "points" you could still be eating waaay more calories than you need/want to because it's "free" food. I'd stick with MFP, but you need to do what works best for you.
  • dwalt15110
    dwalt15110 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I know people who have done very well on WW, but I just cannot justify paying money for someone to weigh me and say "Good Girl."
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    I did WW up through March and lost around 75 lbs doing it. As long as you have the info and access to the online tools it's really easy. I would suggest that even though fruits and veggies are free doesn't mean they don't have calories and limit it to 2-3 servings of each a day. WW customer service though leaves a lot to be desired. I'm using MFP now and although I miss my group (meeting closed) I don't miss trying to get answers or paying a ridiculous amount of money.
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    Only you can answer your question. You know what type of environment you thrive Best in, and what type of motivation you need (Coaching and/or Cheer-leading). You may need BOTH forums, just to get an idea of what you are eating, calorie wise...I'm thinking you need to know the calories/fat/protein/Vitamin/Minerals (Macros and Micro Nutrients) of a food and drinks so you can learn to make good, better and best choices. Life is not about select 2 from column A and 3 items from column B...whatever. In the end you MUST be educated about food and drink to lose and maintain wt. loss, and to stay healthy.
  • mmm_drop
    mmm_drop Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    Hello! Way before I knew about mfp I belonged to WW. I did lose weight on the program, 25lbs in fact, and I did learn better eating habits. However, I didn't really learn how to fuel my body or about what to do to make my body stronger.

I am with everyone else; why pay $40+ a month for something you can get for free here? The support system here is much better than any you will find in one of those WW meetings. :)
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    I'm a Weight Watchers Lifetime Member. I got to goal back in 2003 after losing 60 lbs on the program. I kept it off for a couple of years until I got pregnant... but I digress.

Weight Watchers is excellent for sedentary people. If you have any aspirations of becoming even a weekend warrior type athlete, I'd recommend MFP. I was already very active on Weight Watchers and I lost weight eating every point I was entitled to and then some. Out of 60 lbs lost, I still managed to lose about 13 lbs of lean mass. That's too much for my liking. It was just too low-calorie to adequately fuel regular higher-intensity exercise (I did kickboxing and running).

So when I eventually went to lose the extra 35 lbs I've been lugging around from that first pregnancy, I came here... and it's been awesome. And with 35 lbs lost I lost about 5 lbs lean... not as bad as WW... and I didn't lift weights either time.

I would recommend doing MFP and lifting weights... that would have been a better way for me to go all that time ago.
  • BabySparkles81
    Options
    I just got a 3 month membership before I asked these questions. I totally wish I came back here. But I was here last year and nothing worked for me. Like now it is asking me to eat 2,130 calories. O.o And then on WW it says to eat 49 points..
    I wonder how they go by on there system. How do they maintain everything with the points. So I don't know.. I wanna get in the 100's and that's 180 pounds that I gotta lose. I don't wanna do any strenuous work either. I did last year and it hurt my hip. No idea how I can do this with my pain. I hurt off and on but not all the time.. I can walk but at times I can't. I have the long word that begins with a T on my left hip. Was supposed to go to physical therapy but never went because of my night sleep schedule.. Sleep during the day. I know I shouldn't have excuses but this is how I feel.

And is it really true. Eat anything and everything just gotta moderate yourself. Like if the serving size on Oreo's say just eat 4. Can I really eat 4? Haha. Well I do eat junk food but not more then what it says on the facts.

Does anyone else?

Sorry I am random..
  • jamiek917
    jamiek917 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    ive done both. i lost weight on WW but my body fat % was still high, bc u are losing scale weight but not fat, typically because WW has u eating around or under your Basal Metabolic Rate.

MFP is free, and tracking is tracking- whether its points or cals. the fact is, if u track diligently and honestly and stick to a healthy range, the weight will come off with either program.
  • TheFitnessTutor
    TheFitnessTutor Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Plus when you're done, what have you learned? Something about points and someone else's dietary intake.
  • WeightHacker
    WeightHacker Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    to be honest. ive seen many people that done weight watcher.
    they lose the weight.

finally at their weight and they go off of it. and well you know...

they gain weight again.

so to be honest i would just stick with MFP which is free AND you control your food no one else does.
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    I've done Weight Watchers before, and the best I can say is that I didn't gain when on it! It was during a period when I was putting on weight, and it did stop my putting on the weight for the four expensive months that I was on it, but I didn't lose any. It's a bit puzzling, because Weight Watchers is basically calorie counting made obscure, so I SHOULD have lost.

What I don't like about Weight Watchers is the way it mystifies the process. It has to, I suppose, because it's trying to sell itself. So instead of just giving you their formula, and explaining your TDEE and deficit, etc., they turn it all into "points". It takes away the knowledge from you. You don't know how many calories you burn, or how many you should eat, or what constitutes a "point", so you HAVE to follow their system, even though it really is just modified calorie counting.

I believe Weight Watchers has changed since I last joined, and is now more similar to Slimming World, with free fruit and veg, etc. I believe that Points Plus has an even more complicated formula than the old Points (so protein foods count as less, fatty foods count as more, etc.). Again, it doesn't need to be so complicated and impenetrable. You could just calorie count and increase protein and reduce fat for the same effect.

But ultimately, I think the question with any diet you choose should really be "Can I do this for the rest of my life?". Because if you do something and stop, the weight is liable to go back on, as Prettythinful has pointed out.
  • BabySparkles81
    Options
    That is true when you stop doing your "diet" I hate that word and working out the weight will come back on. I was 330 last year. Got to 297.. After I hurt myself from doing jillian michales 30 day shred I stopped. I put most of my weightback on.. Now I am 322.. It really depresses me. All that hard work feels like I am a huge failure. I am back again because I can't fit in nice clothes like I used to..

If anyone wants to add me and be my help please do. I hope I can stop my subscription before the 12 days up and get a refund. But no idea how to.. o.O ON WW
  • usmc01462
    usmc01462 Posts: 1,944 Member
    Options
    I think its a waste of money! You just need to eat right and do the research in nutrition. I diet that is mostly fruits and veggies works wonders. I am 6ft 260lbs and eat mostly veggies and fruits. No carbs, no dairy, no processed foods. Want to know more send me an email
  • missybct
    missybct Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I did WW in 2010. It was a godsend at the time because I needed to lose weight and needing something that I thought was hardcore, serious business.

It did teach you about portion control. It DID teach you how to eat better. It did encourage exercise - but rather as an extra than compulsory.

Why did I leave? Because a) £20 for effectively being weighed in once a week seemed a bit steep. b) providing you were in your points, it didn't give a toss what you ate - you could eat a packet of crisps and nothing else and drink a bottle of wine in the evening and still be way under points (believe me, I tried). The meals were horrendous, although obviously you didn't have to eat them - what I mean is it didn't encourage the right ratio of fat/sat fat/protein/fiber/sugar. I think the "newer" points system does, but it effectively says NO CARBS UNLESS YOU WANT BIG POINTS which isn't the point - it's the sugar content which is the issue, in my eyes. Things like avocado's and olive oil was a no no - spray oil (ick) and fat free yoghurt packed full of artificial sugar was - well, I'd take a bigger fat content and a healthier diet, thanks!

I think it really works well for some people and I would never diss it. The reason I gained all my weight (plus more) is MY own fault, not WW - they taught me some very valuable lessons. I had an incredible leader who I am still friends with and I think if you are embarking on a diet for the first time, it's a very worthwhile one as it gives you the discipline that a lot of people lack.

Now I prefer to look at the internet, go to the gym and eat clean. My goal is to lose weight and be happy with how I look, rather than a set of parameters set by a company.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    This goes out into the universe somewhere between the twilight zone, the bermuda triangle, and that part of the universe where the black hole has just enough gravity to almost pull you in if you aren't paying attention and steering clear of the wormhole.

Is that clear? Get it now?
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    my friend is on weight watchers and truly likes it. she has said she is motivated by the weekly weigh in's and would be embarrassed if she didnt lose weight each week.. she has gone from a size uk 14 to uk 10.

For me I wanted to join when I saw her results,then luckily stumbled on this website instead. I think if you are motivated to lose weight now you can truly use this site and be successful. I have really surprised myself by losing the weight I have and exercising each day. My MFP are supportive each day, they can see if I lose weight each week, and see what naughty things are on my diary. So in my book MFP is much better and of course its free. Good luck in which ever you choose to use, main thing is to be motivated to make changes.