Jaw up or fitbit?

Options
I am finally wanting one of these devices although I currently have a polar heart rate monitor and I love it (use only during my workouts) so not sure how to use this with one of these devices...can anybody explain that to me and also tell me which one is better: fitbit or Jawbone up? I want something that works well with MFP. It seems the fitpit is something that needs to be clipped on and I am afraid I would lose it.
Any opinions?

Replies

• herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    I looked into getting the UP by Jawbone, but from what I saw it only syncs with a phone and my android version is too old for it. I'm considering the Nike+ fuel atm. From what I've read online the fitbit only tracks steps taken and stairs climbed, but I could be mistaken.
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options
    I like my BodyMedia Fit...
  • Seahawk27
    Seahawk27 Posts: 72
    Options
    I love my BodyMedia Fit too, it syncs with MFP and has been AWESOME!
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    I am finally wanting one of these devices although I currently have a polar heart rate monitor and I love it (use only during my workouts) so not sure how to use this with one of these devices...can anybody explain that to me and also tell me which one is better: fitbit or Jawbone up? I want something that works well with MFP. It seems the fitpit is something that needs to be clipped on and I am afraid I would lose it.
    Any opinions?

Fitbit just released its new version "Flex" which is a bracelet. I love my fitbit. It monitors my normal daily activity and I use my HRM for cardio workouts. Once you have fitbit synced to MFP, you enter exercise (with accurate starting time) and food on MFP. It will then adjust the fitbit data accordingly.

I have a "Zip." Which is tiny and clips onto my bra. I just set it on my nightstand at night and clip it on when I get dressed in the morning. The "One" and "Flex" both have sleep monitors and a few other features that the zip doesn't have. My zip has bluetooth and can be synced with my phone (I believe the "One" has this feature as well, not sure about flex).

Looking on Amazon.com, Fitbit(Fitbit = 4 - 4.5 stars) seems to have better reviews than Jawbone (Jawbone = about 3.5 stars).

edit:
    fitbit dashboard
    307ni1v.jpg
    15f6635.jpg

fitbit log **I have to log my sleep since I have the zip, but the other two models track it for you**
    34rtagk.jpg
  • ice1200s
    ice1200s Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I just got as Fitbit last week, and so far so good. It does far more than record steps and stairs. I especially like the way it adjusts my MFP daily calorie goals. Check it out at Fitbit.com.
  • larovers
    larovers Posts: 100
    Options
    why is bodymedia fit better? does it bug you because it is on your arm all day long? Do you have to use a heart rate monitor when you work out too....I am so confused with all these gadgets!
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options
    why is bodymedia fit better? does it bug you because it is on your arm all day long? Do you have to use a heart rate monitor when you work out too....I am so confused with all these gadgets!

Doesn't bug me at all, really. It was weird at first, but I've gotten used to it. I sometimes use a heart rate monitor when I work out, but no need. It tracks my calorie burn throughout the day and night (it monitors your sleep). I took this screenshot yesterday when a friend asked me how it works.

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l55/bregalad5/bodymedia050313.png
  • meepberry
    meepberry Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I was looking into this for a while, actually. I liked the interface of having the Jawbone on my phone and synched with MFP, so I chose that. I was leaning toward bodymedia, but you have to pay a fee to use their web service, which is pretty lame. (It's like 89 dollars a year.) But, funnily enough, Jawbone bought Bodymedia recently...so we'll see how that goes
  • MrsKTillman
    MrsKTillman Posts: 35
    Options
    I just got the Fitbit Flex yesterday... i LOVE it!!!!! it syncs with MFP and works really really well.. its also waterproof.... worked very well during a swiming aerobics class this morning.
  • larovers
    larovers Posts: 100
    Options
    I was looking into this for a while, actually. I liked the interface of having the Jawbone on my phone and synched with MFP, so I chose that. I was leaning toward bodymedia, but you have to pay a fee to use their web service, which is pretty lame. (It's like 89 dollars a year.) But, funnily enough, Jawbone bought Bodymedia recently...so we'll see how that goes

Do you like your jawbone? I like the idea of the body media but honestly know I will not wear something on my arm like that all the time. It looks funny and seems like it would feel annoying. I like the sleek bracelet type of thing better. I know they work differently.
    I guess I am just trying to figure out if people like the fitbit flex or jawbone better and why?
  • judychicken
    judychicken Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    I still waiting for my fitbit from Amazon its out of stock.
  • Querian
    Querian Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I have had a Fitbit for more than 2 months and I love it! I have the Fitbit One and have never had any problems with losing it, it comes with a holder than clips which I put on my bra. I seriously love it and cannot say enough good things about it!
  • KidTarget
    KidTarget Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Been using my Fitbit for two years now, and I love it. It syncs nicely with MFP and other apps like Endomondo.
  • MadDogManor
    MadDogManor Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    I got a Jawbone for Mom's Day. I was really curious how many steps I had after working 8 hrs in a hospital laboratory.

The bracelet is very lightweight and can be worn at night, too, to track sleep patterns (light sleep, deep sleep, etc - it's pretty cool).

Since I do a lot of arm movements at work - pouring, mixing, stretching and reaching, pipetting, and such, the first day registered over 17,000 steps! I knew that was an exaggerated number, because I wouldn't be 240 lbs if i really walked 17,000 steps A DAY, and that was only at work! The next day I wore it on my ankle, which was just a bit too tight, but not uncomfortably so. It logged only 8,000 steps that day. That was more like it. I now wear it on my ankle during the day, and my wrist at night. One day I wore it on my wrist while I folded laundry, then synced it to my phone, and it said I had 7,000 steps, which I know is bogus!

It plugs into my phone to download steps, and only recharges using a USB plug. My husband has a Fitbit One, which he forgets is in his pocket sometimes, but can sync wirelessly to his phone app. Good luck!
  • donnaleighh
    donnaleighh Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    There are masses of reviews of Fitbit against the other products and it comes up really well - I have one and would be lost without it.

There is also an interesting comparison between FB products posted here somewhere in a thread from about a month or so ago - the One come up tops but Flex also rates well.
  • Broejen
    Broejen Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I love my FitBit! I've had one since August and couldn't say anything bad about it at all!
  • KatyCurtin
    KatyCurtin Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Another fitbit fan here. I have the one. The two most important features for me are that it records all my steps accurately and it counts stairs. I've logged 10,500 plus flights in just over a year.

I check it periodically throughout the day so I can tell if I'm meeting my goals.

I did have the bodymedia fit for a little over a year. I liked it, but I would get a rash from having against my skin and the armband was making my tendonitis worse.
  • JHB2011
    JHB2011 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    my UP broke in about a month. totally not worth it.
  • TheStephil
    TheStephil Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    I like my BodyMedia Link so much more than my FitBit (even with the Flex coming out, I pick BodyMedia) Fitbit tracks via steps taken and altitude (on some devices) The Fitbit One does clip on your clothes (I wore mine on my bra) and it almost landed in the washing machine numerous times. BodyMedia has an armband that you wear around your upper arm, it tracks via movement (steps) but also other factors. It tracks your sweat, the environment (temperature, altitude, etc.) and other factors to calculate calories burned and activity level. BodyMedia can track activities like strength training, bike riding (with adjustment of where you wear the armband), running, etc. and gives a better calculated calorie count.

For example, I wore my BodyMedia and FitBit for a run. FitBit only tracks that I went 6,000 steps and calculated how many calories I burned going those steps. My BodyMedia tracks how much effort it took to go those steps, what the environment was like, how much I was sweating, the time it took, etc. and gave a more accurate reading for that amount of effort and matched closer to online calculations. BodyMedia has a lot more technology on it's side. I believe Jawbone Up is similar to the FitBit Flex but I don't know. BodyMedia is also used by the Biggest Loser show which I like.

The only downsides I found to my BodyMedia were 1) they charge you a fee for using their website. I have not researched if you can use the app free of charge or not but the fee isn't too bad 2)you get a lot of attention wearing it. I personally don't mind people asking about it and have even convinced a few coworkers to purchase their own but some people rather not have the attention. The FitBit flex is very low key type of device and the FitBit One can easily sneak into a pocket or bra.
  • TheStephil
    TheStephil Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Do you like your jawbone? I like the idea of the body media but honestly know I will not wear something on my arm like that all the time. It looks funny and seems like it would feel annoying. I like the sleek bracelet type of thing better. I know they work differently.
    I guess I am just trying to figure out if people like the fitbit flex or jawbone better and why?

After the first hour of wearing my BodyMedia I forgot it was there. I've almost walked into the shower a few times with it on.