Is this a realistic goal for two months? (running question)

Options
So the local YMCA sponsors a run/walk every 4th of July...it's a three-mile event and you can either choose to run or walk. I was thinking of just walking in it, BUT I think trying to run would be a nice challenge. My dad and sisters are participating in a 5K next week, and though I'm not joining them in that, I can't help but wonder what it would be like to at least give running a shot. However, since the event is two months away and I'm a beginning runner, I'm not sure if it's realistic to register to run and be ready to do that in time.

This will be the first time I'm participating in this kind of event, so I obviously don't expect to win or anything. I'd be proud of myself for just being able to participate and make it through that kind of distance. But I am looking for new workout challenges and think this is a great thing to work toward. I have lost 11 pounds so far and still have a ways to go, but I see people on here that have more to lose than me or that started bigger than me pushing themselves everyday, so I figure I can accomplish good things too! I will sign up no matter, but I'd still be content with walking if running three miles in two months isn't realistic. What do you runners think?

Replies

• rdianemu
    rdianemu Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    You should be able to do it. Get good shoes and start slowly. Do the best you can and have fun.
  • mrydavis
    mrydavis Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    On December 14th I had knee surgery I couldn't walk until after Christmas and I was running 4 miles by the beginning of April. I know not everyone is the same, but you should be able to do it! Don't push yourself and if your joints hurt, don't be afraid to space out your workouts. Since I have knee problems I can't run more than 2 miles if I want to run 2 days in a row. I would say go for it...if this cripple can do it, so can you! :)
  • sundog10
    sundog10 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
    Yes, it is plenty of time to train for it. You might check out some C25k programs; I have heard great things about them. You will love running in a race; There is so much excitement and everyone encourages each other no matter what your time is. Like everyone says: take it slow and increase you distance at a small rate. Don't worry about your time. The main thing is you are out there so have fun with it.
  • MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Should be very doable. Plus you can take a minute walk break a couple times during your run. I got up to running 3 miles in 30 mins quite quickly.
  • Kassandra772
    Kassandra772 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I would recommend the C25K app! I am currently in my 6th week of the program and its been amazing! The whole program is 8 weeks but it will certainly prepare you. If you want support or have questions, feel free to add me.
  • aricakaye
    aricakaye Posts: 10
    Options
    I started in Jan walking 3 miles 3 times a week, in feb I decided to try running a little in between the walking. I with a half a mile, and just worked my way up. By March I was up to 2 miles and then I just started doing five miles this past week. I run now 6-7 days a week. I never was a runner, I would always say "the only time I would run is if I were being chased." I just completed my first 5k last week in Chicago, and I was so proud that I was able to run the whole thing. If you are wanting to do it, then I believe you can, just set you mind to do it, most of it is mental. Just take some time to train for it, and gradually work you way to the 3 miles, don't let your mind tell you that u can't, ur body can push further than your brain says you can. Def, get a good pair of running shoes. Also, don't beat yourself up, if you stop for a minute to catch your breath, the real accomplishment is finishing it! Good Luck!! :)
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    Have you googled Couch to 5k (C25k)?

It's a really simple program that can get a sedentary person running a 5k (which is 3 miles) in nine weeks, which is barely more than two months.
  • red0801
    red0801 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    So the local YMCA sponsors a run/walk every 4th of July...it's a three-mile event and you can either choose to run or walk. I was thinking of just walking in it, BUT I think trying to run would be a nice challenge. My dad and sisters are participating in a 5K next week, and though I'm not joining them in that, I can't help but wonder what it would be like to at least give running a shot. However, since the event is two months away and I'm a beginning runner, I'm not sure if it's realistic to register to run and be ready to do that in time.

This will be the first time I'm participating in this kind of event, so I obviously don't expect to win or anything. I'd be proud of myself for just being able to participate and make it through that kind of distance. But I am looking for new workout challenges and think this is a great thing to work toward. I have lost 11 pounds so far and still have a ways to go, but I see people on here that have more to lose than me or that started bigger than me pushing themselves everyday, so I figure I can accomplish good things too! I will sign up no matter, but I'd still be content with walking if running three miles in two months isn't realistic. What do you runners think?

Check out the app Couch 2 5k. It's an 8 week interval training program that will help you get to the point that you can do a 5K in 8 weeks. The reason I recommmend it is it is developed and tested, and will help you with proven reachable goals that WONT get you injured along the way.
  • red0801
    red0801 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Have you googled Couch to 5k (C25k)?

It's a really simple program that can get a sedentary person running a 5k (which is 3 miles) in nine weeks, which is barely more than two months.

Great minds think alike!

:smile:
  • ThePinkPenguin
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I did look up Couch to 5K and downloaded it to my phone. I am hoping to get going Sunday morning...have to take tomorrow to ease back in after taking a couple days off with some neck pain. I have tried to run on the treadmill, but got a cramp when I tried...granted I hadn't lost 10 pounds then! Hopefully running outside goes better. But I figure...if my dad can run a 5K when he's 51 and has had a knee surgery, then I can do it too!
  • happydaze71
    happydaze71 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Definitely do - able!!! Go for it. Running is the hardest but most rewarding thing I've ever done, you wont regret it!
  • M_lifts
    M_lifts Posts: 2,224 Member
    Options
    go for it! definitely recommend couch to 5k!
  • WeightHacker
    WeightHacker Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    hun im on the same boat as you. but to be honest. i have asked like 5 people and they all said. if i train like i should be training then ill be able to do the 5k in two months :D soooooo
    that means you can too.

get the Couch to 5k or the C25K which ever works for you.
    its about 8 weeks training. you will be just fine :D
  • yoshna
    yoshna Posts: 69
    Options
    You can definitely do this...if you want to do it, do it! As others have suggested, C25K is a wonderful place to start. Just keep getting out there, follow a plan and build up gradually - and enjoy! Once you get into it, running is awesome. Good luck!
  • stephenszymanski
    stephenszymanski Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    The body is capable of doing great things if pushed. 3.1 miles in 2 months is very doable.
  • tndejong
    tndejong Posts: 463
    Options
    try the c25k. when i started i was a mess. my knees and shins hurt so bad. i stopped running after two weeks and started walking. i was doing 30 minute outside and on the treadmill. now im slowly adjusting the incline on the treadmill and walking in the parks around my house with more hills and inclines. next week im going to give it a try again at running. its a challenge for sure. but not totally out of the question. and if its a running/ walking event, who cares. go and have fun. im signing up for a colorvibe run in a month. ill walk if i have to lol!
  • colettedeann
    Options
    definitely an achievable goal - and if u get a running buddy to go along with u it will be all the easier

take it slow - there are a few jog/walk/jog online - this one is for 10 weeks - but u can adjust it - or find one for 8 weeks

http://www.walkjogrun.net/training/5k/training-plans.cfm

good luck and have fun :)
  • beattie1
    beattie1 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Yes, it is plenty of time to train for it. You might check out some C25k programs; I have heard great things about them. You will love running in a race; There is so much excitement and everyone encourages each other no matter what your time is. Like everyone says: take it slow and increase you distance at a small rate. Don't worry about your time. The main thing is you are out there so have fun with it.

I endorse everyone who says get the Couch to 5K (also known as c25K) program. There are a couple of varieties that offer different styles of music. It's a gradual program that you download and do three times a week so you work up from doing a five minute brisk walk warm-up, then a gentle jog for 60 seconds at a time with 90 minute walking recovery times in between. By week 9 you walk for 5 minutes then jog 5k or 30 minutes. I'm on week 2 and doing better than I expected to! The rate of progression is up to you, so if you feel like repeating a week you can.

You've got almost exactly 9 weeks til 4th July so you should be able to run the course, and if you've ALMOST finished the program you will be able to run ALMOST all of it, with maybe a walking break in the middle. On "The Day" you'll find that, with other people running and jogging around you, and with spectators and marshals cheering you on, you'll find reserves of energy that will push you on.

• ThePinkPenguin
    Options
    Bump!

I did my first day of C25K today. I did pretty well, but I got a cramp at the end of one of my last jogging intervals. I admit before this I was SO turned off to running, and after today, I'm not quite yet at "OMG I LOVE RUNNING!" but it definitely wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I'm already looking forward to hitting the pavement again tomorrow. (I can't do trails because I don't live near any woods.)
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    Bump!

I did my first day of C25K today. I did pretty well, but I got a cramp at the end of one of my last jogging intervals. I admit before this I was SO turned off to running, and after today, I'm not quite yet at "OMG I LOVE RUNNING!" but it definitely wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I'm already looking forward to hitting the pavement again tomorrow. (I can't do trails because I don't live near any woods.)

What about a bike path?