Having trouble eating enough calories...

Options
jmitts2
jmitts2 Posts: 29 Member
So I changed my diet away from processed crap, fast food and soda and now it is very hard for me to reach the calories needed. Yesterday after exercise I was supposed to eat almost 2550 calories (6'0" 250 lbs, 1.5 lbs a week loss). I ended up at a mere 900 calories consumed (short 1500!) and I was not hungry... anyone else have this problem? I feel like I shouldn't force myself to eat if I am trying to lose weight.

Replies

• AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    Don't buy or use skim milk or cheeses in your meals. Use full-fat dairy products, cook with olive oil, add nuts/nut butters and avocados to your diet and you'll up your calories healthily in no time.
  • Horsezee
    Horsezee Posts: 22
    Options
    I have that problem too. I eat a lot of fruit and vegetable, and it's quite filling! I don't force myself to eat because the feeling of being overly full is really uncomfortable. I think with time you will probably learn to adjust and be able to take more in. IDK my son.
  • Bettyeditor
    Bettyeditor Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    So I changed my diet away from processed crap, fast food and soda and now it is very hard for me to reach the calories needed. Yesterday after exercise I was supposed to eat almost 2550 calories (6'0" 250 lbs, 1.5 lbs a week loss). I ended up at a mere 900 calories consumed (short 1500!) and I was not hungry... anyone else have this problem? I feel like I shouldn't force myself to eat if I am trying to lose weight.

You should force yourself to eat more if you are trying to lose weight. 900 calories is not enough to feed a scrawny 9-year-old-girl. (If you need ideas, you can check out my diary. I usually eat about 2500 a day.)

You have hit on the secret to healthy living: When you upgrade your food from junk to healthy, nutrient-dense food, you get to eat a LOT of it and you never really over-consume because healthy food is bulky and fills you up.

It takes some time to adjust, but don't give up! One of the best ways to more good calories is healthy fats. Drizzle olive oil on your veggies, rice, potatoes, etc.... load up on healthy seeds and nuts, try to get avocados, etc.
  • jmitts2
    Options

You should force yourself to eat more if you are trying to lose weight. 900 calories is not enough to feed a scrawny 9-year-old-girl.

Love this line lol
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options

You should force yourself to eat more if you are trying to lose weight. 900 calories is not enough to feed a scrawny 9-year-old-girl.

Love this line lol
    except it's sadly more common than you think.

no lol's involved in undereating.
  • Sharkington
    Sharkington Posts: 485
    Options
    Replace some of those cheese sticks and low fat yogurts with some peanut butter, avocados, various nuts, olive oil dressing on salad maybe - for starters.i can't imagine how 900 calories in an entire day (especially with the majority being from cheese sticks and 4 oz yogurts) are filling you up. I don't mean to sound rude or assume anything, but are you entirely sure it isn't partly psychological? Maybe it isn't, but 900 calories makes ME cranky.
  • jmitts2
    Options
    Those are snacks I eat at work, before I started this, I would not eat at all during work.
  • Sharkington
    Sharkington Posts: 485
    Options
    Okay...so you can only eat cheese sticks at work? I mean, if you like them, that's cool and all, but if you're asking for suggestions on how to get more calories in your diet, I still stand by my suggestions. Many of the things I mentioned are just as easy to transport and store as cheese sticks are and the only reason I am even suggesting replacing some of them with other things is because they are so low in calories. You can bring peanut butter sandwiches to work - two tablespoons of peanut butter is almost 200 calories and won't make you feel stuffed. You don't even need to use bread, you can use a variety of different types of puffed cakes. (multi-grain, corn, rice, spelt, etc.)
  • mousetrousers
    mousetrousers Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I would find little ways to increase your calorie intake like the others said. I agree that 900 calories isn't enough, but I wouldn't force yourself to eat if you just simply aren't hungry. Maybe it's just an off day and you'll feel hungry tomorrow.
  • spamantha57
    spamantha57 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I don't eat the junk like you mentioned either, so for some people it may be weird that I have low calories but actually eat a good amount of food...

However if you add some things that the others have mentioned, especially nuts, nut butters, avocados, & olive oil, you can get your cals up there. Plus those are all really good things to consume & you can totally have them every day as part of a healthy diet. :smile:

If you're not vegan: eat cheese. I would eat SO much more cheese than I do now if my fat content allowed for it. Cheese is amazing. I'd eat a pound of cheese a day if I could, but usually limit myself to maybe 3oz. It's my only vice that I limit really.
  • ldniz
    ldniz Posts: 13
    Options
    I have found if I don't eat my BMR, I just don't lose anything. It's been really hard getting my head around having to eat more for it to work, but I'm getting it now! Avocados are great (I've given up processed foods, and the only sugar I get now is from fruit) and bump up the calories, them and cashews are my go tos now!
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,453 Member
    Options
    One thing I've learned is that my appetite is not an accurate measure of how much food I need. Relying on it was what got me fat in the first place. I was obviously eating more than I needed. It actually works both ways. Just as it's possible to feel hungry when you don't need food, you can NOT feel hungry when you do need food.

What has worked for me is to just have regular meals. None of that "listening to your body" stuff. If it's a mealtime, I'll eat. Generally (not always), if it's not a mealtime and I feel hungry, I won't eat. It might help to plan out your meals, so you know you're going to have all your calories covered by the end of the day. I know this completely goes against most advice about eating, but in my opinion, I'm dealing with a body where the hormones that control hunger and satiety don't seem to be working properly. It seems to work for me.
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    Use full fat diary, use olive oil to cook with and not the no fat spray stuff, nuts, foods that are calorie dense. A spoonful of peanut butter will up your calories without making you feel really full.
  • Kim55555
    Kim55555 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    if its that much of a struggle have 1 or 2 protein shakes per day. Liquid calories are not filling!

1 protein shake with 2 scoops of powder and milk works out at around 300 calories. easssy peassy.

Go for high density foods rather than low density foods.. For instance If your having chicken and salad for lunch, opt for less salad, and instead add a few tablespoons of good fat, avocado, and some almonds to the meal. That meal you can turn into 700 calories easy!

I have the opposite problem. i struggle to stay under 2000 ! I'm trying to gross 1850 calories but often go over. I find after dinner I have to turn to things like jelly to fill me because i am still hungry. This is a good sign my metabolism is firing

oh another easy snack. Add some cheese to your chicken and salad. easy to make 2000 a day.

edited to say. there is something wrong if you are not hungry and have only eaten 900 calories for the day. Dont starve your body to lose the fat, think if this as fueling your body for performance and improvement. i highly recommend downloading tim venutos book "burn the fat feed the muscle"
  • jmitts2
    Options
    Thank you all for the suggestions, I will have to try avocado, never tried it except in dips as well as pick up some unsalted nuts and maybe some chicken breasts!
  • memubo99
    memubo99 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Can I have your left over calories? :-)
    I need a few more, I am finding it hard to limit myself to 1400
  • jmitts2
    Options
    Can I have your left over calories? :-)
    I need a few more, I am finding it hard to limit myself to 1400

Anytime :)
  • lstok873
    lstok873 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Yeah, cutting processed foods doesn't have to mean cutting meats. Anything you prepare at home can be healthier than procesed and fast foods. My favorites are super easy... I love whole grain tortillas (look for one around 100 calories, high in fiber & protein), and in it I put ground beef with cheese, ground turkey, or plain chicken breast. Like tacos??? And some taco sauce. Like hamburgers? Add ketchup & mustard. With ground turkey I like garlic & mozzerella. With chicken I like hot sauce or bbq sauce. My wraps ususally get between 300-400 calories each. And I cook enough chicken for 2-3 days (usually 5 chicken breasts in crockpot, 1/2 cup water, 6hrs on low), and usually a 2 meals worth of beef or turkey (just on skillet). These are really the staple of my diet. Sometimes I switch it up and put on whole grain noodles, or whole wheat bun. Thats usually lunch and dinner. Add some fruit, eggs, veggies, yogurt in to that and I can get my day to around 1500 (where my diet is). You need more...and an extra bowl of cereal in or make two sandwiches. My point is, don't be scared of food...just work on making it at home and from ingredients and less of a box meal or can.
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    I just looked at your diary..on one day you hardly ate a thing! String cheese? Where's your real food??
  • ggxx100
    ggxx100 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I always recommend following hunger signals, but let's be real. You are no where near getting enough nutrients for your frame, and of you continue this caloric restriction it will probably backfire.

You can absolutely eat 2500 calories from whole natural foods. Throw in the almond butter, sunflower seeds, coconut oil, eggs, and full fat dairy. Little things will absolutely add up, and you don't need to be unpleasantly full.

You're a foot taller and about 2.6 times my weight. My breakfast and a snack alone are 900 calories.

Point of the story? Ignore your clearly defunct hunger signals and eat like a man :laugh: