Do I need to exercise to lose weight?

Options
2»

Replies

• CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    Ya'll will be glad to know that I started working out last night! :) I just had a lot of pent up energy so I did about 25 minutes of Zumba and I think I will do that for 3 days a week for a month (increasing the time each week) and then after a month I will work out maybe 5 days a week....just trying to build some endurance.

I appreciate CoderGal telling me not to wait too long because I don't want to do that for sure...I was just wanting to lose about 10 lbs before I started working out.
    I hate hearing this. I hate hearing it because I said that and can't tell you how much I regret it. In my mind you're better off trying to keep the strength and lean parts of your body you already have. If you don't like where it takes you, watch TV and eat some chips. It's easy to get squishy. It's so so hard for a girl to get firm. Particularly after she loses what can make her firm to begin with. that's why I ended up bulking for a while. (that pic is from me at the largest part of my bulk lol). I'm still in the territory where I don't know what I'm doing, so I'm sure there will be many bulks to come before I have enough muscle to show abs. And many people (even if they do lift) work really hard and never get them, and it's easy to lose.

If you want to be firm, start lifting yesterday. I hated it to begin with and now understand why some can be so 'pushy' about it. They knew something I didn't. You can still look like a dancer and lift. Not to mention I have back problems, had a motorcycle accident (I landed on the ground on my spine), have arthritis etc etc...And honestly, sometimes I forget I have those problems now because my muscles are strong enough to hold me all together ;) Until I go on a long day hike up a mountain...then I fall to pieces again lol :p Don't get me wrong, I like my cardio. It's good for your organs. But lifting made all the pains I had go away. I can now carry a backpack no problem. In fact I panicked several times because I thought I forgot my 16 inch laptop somewhere because my book bag felt light and I didn't. It's helped my arthritis and my back problems and I highly recommend it for peoples health.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    Check it out....get some resistance training in there if you have time...so worth it.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/979178-halp-heavy-lifting-made-me-supah-bulky
  • mystmaker143
    Options
    Not speaking for myself as of right now as I'm back to being way too overweight after having two kids and only exercising off and on for a few years. But before I met my husband( and before my two kids )who is an extremely good but unhealthy cook, I was doing weight watchers and doing the Wii fit. I know it sounds crazy but it really works. I was doing yoga and strength training, like lunges and planks and all kinds of fun stuff and I wasn't losing as much weight as I was toning my muscles. My husband complained that I didn't have enough jiggle whatever that means! But I went from a size 18 to a size 10/12 I also did boxing through the Wii an hour or more a day. I was also eating smaller portions and taking note of what I ate. From a person who's struggled with weight all her life even doing 15 to 17 minutes a day everyday of cardio is way better then nothing at all and I've already lost a few pounds after joining myfitpal two weeks ago. I'm starting out slow but I'll build as I get along, trying to catch up with a three year old and a three month old is no easy task! But I'm working on it and you can do it too! From one busy person to the next exercise is definitely a great thing.. oh yeah and I love Zumba too! Keep it up!
  • Mock_Turtle
    Mock_Turtle Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    no
  • nerdy2013
    nerdy2013 Posts: 8
    Options
    You don't have to - but I'd recommended it :)

Exercise makes you/one feel good, releases endorphins and really does have a positive psychological effect :) In addition you can tone, build muscle and exercise has huge benefits to your heart, lungs, blood pressure and, well, your whole body!!

I would recommended starting something like Jillian Micheal's 30 day shred or Ripped in 30 great circuit training plans and only 30 mins out of your day. Even if you get up 30 mins earlier and do it :D Have a look at some of the results people have had on MFP!