Question for those used to swimming in a pool

Didn't know where else to post this, but my problem is not so much the swimming part.... it's after. Even getting straight into the shower and washing my hair good after my 1 1/2 hour swim each day, when my hair dries, it's all... crispy lol.
Is there a product anyone has found (shampoo or anything else) that can get rid of that?

Swim caps hurt my head with pulling my hair etc so I'd really love something other than that.

Replies

• crissykclai
    crissykclai Posts: 20
    Look for something that is made specifically for chlorine removal. They can be pricey, but will save your hair. As a blonde, if I am not diligent about hair washing it turns a beautiful shade of green. Ultra swim is a common brand that they should carry everywhere. I like Ion Purifying Solutions Swimmer's Shampoo, it's gentle and vegan. Also, use a deep conditioner. I use coconut oil for 30 minutes twice a week and it keeps it from drying out from the sun, chlorine and washing. Good Luck!
  • spittster
    spittster Posts: 18
    some recommend showering before hand, but only use conditioner and then instead of gel, use a little conditioner while wet. Keeps the hair moist. . . You can even use cheap conditioner. A friend has been doing this and it worked for her and I tried it. . .so far, so good!
  • Dewdropps
    Dewdropps Posts: 111
    Thanks to both of you! I have to be in the pool a lot, but my hair.... lol Thanks <3
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    I have a lot of hair and I use a swim cap. What I do to make it THE MOST comfortable is french braid my hair and the stuff the tail under the braided part on my scalp. It keeps the cap close to my head and minimizes pulling.

like this. (this is not me) Tucked_French_Braid_Hairstyle_View_1.jpg
  • cincigina
    cincigina Posts: 57 Member
    I think another poster suggested wetting your hair first. This helps tremendously, especially if you spray a little conditioner on your hair too. Also, you might try a silicone cap. Pricier but way more comfortable. I use Paul Mitchell three too...very good at getting chlorine out.
  • I was a competitive swimmer for 10 years.

- try a silicone cap instead of a regular swim cap - they're super soft, they stretch forever (We put 2 13 year old boys in one cap as part of their National team haze, it'll stretch to fit even the thickest hair.) They also don't pull on your hair the same way latex caps do. I'm so used to latex I think the silicone caps feel weird on my head, because they don't compress and fit as tight as I'm used to. You can buy them at most sports stores. I know they're about $12 cdn at Sportchek.

- wet your hair completely in the shower before you get into the pool. If your hair is already saturated before you get into the pool it will absorb less chlorine than if it were dry when you get in. (Preferably before you put on the cap... and don't pull the cap off and dunk your head in the pool when you're done... no matter how awesome it feels.)

- use a swim shampoo, Ultra Swim, Swim free (swim free is my personal preference but its harder to find), wash as soon as you get out of the pool.

- use a good conditioner. You don't have to use a swim conditioner (they're actually the same as every other one... the clarifying part is the shampoo). Use a good leave-in or deep conditioner if you find its still drying out.
  • mpage2654
    mpage2654 Posts: 14
    Paul Mitchell Creme works very well , you leave it in after you wash your hair