Running Shoes - UK

Options
Aymzc
Aymzc Posts: 159 Member
I need some new trainers for running as I've noticed mine are more worn on the left side which is causing my knee to ache. Apparently my trainers are not supportive enough even though they are classed as running shoes. I've done some research online and come to the conclusion I have a high arch in my foot. I'm in the UK and have never really noticed a running store as such. My nearest sports shop is sports direct but I doubt they will have anybody trained in there to check the trainers I pick are right for me. Any tips on making sure I select the right ones?

Replies

• rachelhannah543
    rachelhannah543 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I just got a pair of running trainers from start fitness where they measure your feet and recommend the best ones for you....is there one close to you? check online :) x
  • ozigal
    ozigal Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Try these guys:

http://www.coventryrunner.co.uk/

or

http://www.runnersneed.com/store/content/fcp-content

or

http://www.sweatshop.co.uk/stores

Get a gait analysis done before you buy the shoes. It makes a LOT of difference!
  • ozigal
    Options

Interesting!!! Thanks for that!!

I got mine in Sweat Shop in Stratford. Great service and they did the gait analysis and fitting. I was in there for over an hour getting my first pair of shoes done. Couldnt recommend them more if anyone is East London side!
  • colettedeann
    Options
    definitely get gait analysis especially as u are experiencing knee problems which could lead to a longer term injury - check online to find a running shop that offers this service :)
  • WendyFlynn
    WendyFlynn Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Hi

My partner was struggling with a new purchase of running shoes, after 4 miles he was getting pains and didn't have this problems with his old running shoes. Sports Direct actually advised him that these new trainers were suitable for his feet.

Anyhow, we were in Meadowhall last weekend and came across a shop called Sweatshop. They stuck him on a machine and took pictures of his feet and legs. then popped him on the treadmill to see how he runs (front footer apparently!), They then matched him to a perfect pair of running shoes. This was a free service and we both found it quite interesting :)

It seems your nearest store is Brierley Hill, not sure if it is anywhere near you but here is a link to the store locator:

http://www.sweatshop.co.uk/stores

Hope this helps!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    There are some good resources online (runners world and such) that explain how to identify the type of shoe you need (neutral, stability, etc)... try those before you go out shopping, especially if you can't get fitted by a reputable shop.
  • Aymzc
    Options
    I didn't even know about that Coventry Runner shop it's not far from my house either. The only thing is I wouldn't want to go there and feel obliged to buy what they recommend as I don't have a lot of money and can't really justify spending more than £40 on a pair of trainers. Maybe I'll go to sports direct and see if they can recommend anything first.
  • colettedeann
    Options
    amy - better to research online 'runners world' like jackson posted than get advise from runners world!!!

and then look online for last seasons shoes for a better deal if u are on a budget
  • Aymzc
    Options
    from what I can see online I have a medium arch, I overpronate and have a forefront strike!
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    from what I can see online I have a medium arch, I overpronate and have a forefront strike!

ok, good... now find shoes for that type of foot/stride.
  • colettedeann
    Options
    now the questions are - what is the severity of your over pronation? - how much arch support do u need??

what distances do u run? - how heavy are u? - are u sure it is a forefoot strike - and not mid foot?

remember paying a bit extra for a fitted pair of trainers may save you the cost of physio visits if u mess up your knee
  • Aymzc
    Options
    With regard to your shoe size for trainers is it generally your normal size or are you best to go half a size up or down? Obviously I wouldn't want them too tight but the ones I have at the minute are a bit loose for when I'm running, they seem fine for doing aerobics etc.
  • colettedeann
    Options
    i wear a 5and a half walking shoe - gait analysis was brooks size 7 - different companies shoes come up with different measurements
  • ozigal
    Options
    Gait analysis is usually free. Seriously... get it done!

If you tell any of those shops I sent you at the beginning what your budget is, they will try and fit you to the appropriate pair of shoes.

If you can't afford them, get online and have a look for them at a cheaper price after you have sorted the gait and sizing out.

If you have the right shoes, you will run better and more often. You wont have injuries because of them and it really will make a world of difference!
  • Aymzc
    Options
    Just seen on internet coventry runner charge £20 for gait analysis and is then waivered if you buy shoes from there.
  • Aymzc
    Options
    I'll probably go there this afternoon to at least have a look, as its only about a 5min drive away!
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options

If you tell any of those shops I sent you at the beginning what your budget is, they will try and fit you to the appropriate pair of shoes
    Well in reality only the brands they sell. Worth doing some online research of the make that would best suit you then find a shop that stocks them.
  • EmmaJackson130
    EmmaJackson130 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Another vote for Sweat Shop. I'm still 100lbs over weight and I wanted to really protect myself when trying to run so I made the journey to my nearest Sweatshop for gait analysis and to be properly fitted. I had to drive just over an hour but it was worth it. My running shoes are so comfortable and they came with a 30day exchange guarantee so if I had any problems at all I could take them back and have a different pair.

I have a neutral running style and got fitted with a pair of Asics. They were pricey at£110 but what price can you put on your knees?
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    something else to consider... paying a little more for the right shoes the first time will cost you less in the long run than would buying 2 or 3 pairs trying to find the right ones.