Will this work better?

Options
I used to only eat 700-1000 calories a day. First of all that's unhealthy. secondly, it drove me a bit.....insane. Anyway, I keep hitting mini Plateau's *I wonder why.....oh yeah*. Anyway, I figured I'd stop being an idiot and just eat my calories, 1200-1400 is hardly anything, and especially with exercise, so why shouldn't I eat them?. Anyway I decided to eat breakfast, a snack, lunch, a snack, dinner and then a snack and try to get 1200-1400. Will this benefit me more and help me lose weight? :) Thanks~!

Replies

• vegemite_girl
    Options
    Yes it will, provided it's the right food, you will lose weight
    Under 1200 cal your body will hold onto the fat because it goes into 'starvation' mode.
    You need to eat enough of the right cals to burn fat and fuel your body.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I used to only eat 700-1000 calories a day. First of all that's unhealthy. secondly, it drove me a bit.....insane. Anyway, I keep hitting mini Plateau's *I wonder why.....oh yeah*. Anyway, I figured I'd stop being an idiot and just eat my calories, 1200-1400 is hardly anything, and especially with exercise, so why shouldn't I eat them?. Anyway I decided to eat breakfast, a snack, lunch, a snack, dinner and then a snack and try to get 1200-1400. Will this benefit me more and help me lose weight? :) Thanks~!

You already know the answer....
  • jamiek917
    jamiek917 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    ^^ agreed. u know its smarter and more sustainable. find out your BMR (there are online calculators)- and eat at least your BMR. your body needs that to function properly. whether or not you choose to eat your TDEE is a personal choice, but at the very least, eating above BMR will allow your body to function the way its supposed to
  • rbro1979
    rbro1979 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hi Folks,

Sorry to butt in here but I read the bit about 'Starvation mode' if you go under your BMR.

Starvation mode is a bit of a myth. Yes metabolism will slow down but your body will not hold onto fat. Think about it, someone on a hunger strike does not still look like a whale after a month?

Please do not think I'm recommending anyone to not eat enough. The best fat lose method is healthy eating and lots of exercise. Most people over-estimate the amount a workout does and under-estimate the amount they eat. Your body cannot physically burn more than 2 - 21/2 lbs of fat a week.

Anyway, that's my tupence worth.

Russ