New to myfitnesspal

Options
iowaoly
iowaoly Posts: 35 Member
Just dropped my WW membership as I was paying money but not attending meetings. Have heard good things about this, so thought I'd give it a shot. The price is right! Any pointers on using this program?

Replies

• mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I don't log anymore after hitting goal but feel free if you want a friend:flowerforyou:
  • CharityGC
    CharityGC Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Get a food scale and be sure to log every day. Good luck!
  • sherrila1
    sherrila1 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Need any tips or help. I cant seem to lose any weight and I have to lose 50lbs :(
  • RunnerInVT
    RunnerInVT Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Get friends who you want to emulate...dont be shy but always send a request and a small note telling them why you want them. My friends are mostly runners and a few who are trying out the home gym and DVDs. I have a few that read History like me so we can chat and a few who are great cooks and can give me recipes. (Im not tracking right now because i am training for a marathon and eat too many carbs I dont wanna know about!! )
    Being supportive and positive is a great thing here and you also have shoulders to cry on. And we looove to help others in our shared quest to get and stay fit!! So welcome!
    Feel free to add me too... im running my first full marathon a week before my 52nd birthday and train mostly on a treadmill! (I DO do some outdoors too) :)
  • scottyg70
    scottyg70 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! Runner had some great advice and it really is all about the support. So if you get friends who are not supporting you, drop them! You can send me a friend request if you'd like.
  • Kxgz
    Kxgz Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Welcome! Feel free to add me! : )
  • stephaniecantrell395
    Options
    My name is Stephanie Cantrell and i'm doing it one day a time
  • terri_journey
    terri_journey Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me also. I have lost a lot but I still have a bit to lose. :smile:
  • stephaniecantrell395
    Options
    Just trying to get healthy need all the support I can get and any advice would be great
  • mystmaker143
    Options
    Hey there! Welcome to the program! I'm kind of new too, I started a few weeks ago and just started checking this community thing out. I also did weight watchers a few years ago but alas it was too expensive. I'm really liking the program and what I've been doing is making sure to watch my fat and sugar intake. It seems to be working as I've lost a few pounds already. But I'm starting out slow, if you find yourself a person who has a hard time sticking things out the best advice I have is don't overwhelm yourself and try to lose a bunch of weight at once. I'm doing a pound a week until I get more comfortable in the routine and it seems to be working. Hope you do great!
  • traceylynns
    traceylynns Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    welcome!! You are in a Great place MFP is AWESOME!!!
  • marciebrian
    marciebrian Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    LOG! I'm only a pound or two away from goal and doesn't matter to me if I hit any lower as long as I don't go up. I find that logging the food/water/exercise really gives me a much better idea of what I actually eat vs. what I think I eat :laugh: Good luck and I would say MFP is as successful as you want it to be. You are in charge of your success (with help from your friends). WELCOME
  • 99clmsntgr
    99clmsntgr Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Get a kitchen scale and a good set of measuring utensils.

Plan ahead when thinking about food. I log usually a couple days forward and try my best to stick to my plan.

Don't be scared about eating out, just plan ahead. Most chains have their nutritional information online, if you know where you're going, go look before you get there. If you don't look before you get there, most chains also have nutritional information printed on site, you just need to ask for it.

Watch your sodium. It's a ***** and it will kill your progress.

Let's see.....can't think of anything else, really.
  • rosyanas
    rosyanas Posts: 11
    Options
    Add me
  • angelthine
    angelthine Posts: 8
    Options
    I'm pretty new myself, and love the great support I get here. I stopped and started a few times, and this week made up my mind to keep going properly. This is day 6 in a row. Just take it one day at a time, I think.

Happy if you want to add me too. Cheers, Karla
  • xALEXANDROx
    xALEXANDROx Posts: 3,416 Member
    Options
    add me for motivation/suport
  • _Danno_
    _Danno_ Posts: 165
    Options
    Keep it simple log all your food and drink and stick to a realistic calorie target and you'll be ok
  • hollygparr
    hollygparr Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I began this week, log everyday (I often plan my meals in advance) and make friends! my ftp friend support and motivate me to do better! feel free to send a request
  • wvgirlnfl
    wvgirlnfl Posts: 30
    Options
    This really is a great tool for losing weight. It is not a fast process but it is the best way to lose. My advice is to log everything you eat even on days when you know you have over eaten. It helps to see it and makes you want to do better. Also some exercise most days of the week even if it is a 30 minute walk. I have lost 14 pounds since January, not a lot for that amount of time but it is coming off!
  • GFielding_56
    GFielding_56 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    It's all about being honest and logging everything. If you have a 'bad' day don't worry compensate by having a 'very good' day. It's maths at the end of the day - Log your calories eaten, log your calories burned the difference will be weight on or weight loss.

To lose 1lb in weight means you need to lose 3500 calories either by dropping approx. 500 calories a day or the easier method is by increasing your exercise or by a combination of both.

My Fitness pal helps you to keep an eye on everything and gives you a weekly progress report.

I think if you're always starving yourself you won't progress but if you're in control you will.

Good Luck

p.s. I've manage to lose 12.7 kg since I've been logging each day and increasing the amount of walking I do - it can be done - accept the MFP friend requests and we'll all encourage you