Calorie intake is scaring me :(

Options
Hello all! I recently joined MFP and am in the process of deciding what I should have my daily calorie intake be...Now I have used the Fat 2 Fit calculator and this is what I came up with...Now I know nothing will ever be exact and everything is estimates but this is what I got:

TDEE - 20%
Sedentary 1304 calories
Little exercise/1-3 times 1494 calories

I am a preschool teacher for 2-3 year olds, 5days a week, and I work 8 hours a day. Some standing/walking around some sitting. I originally set myself up at sedentary figuring eat that and then eat some of my exercise calories back. I monitor my calories burned by a HRM only. I know thats still an estimate as well but I figure that would be more accurate then just plugging in numbers. After listening to many and there great advice they say that I shouldn't set myself at sedentary especially with my job. They said I should do the little exercise/1-3 times at 1494 calories. Now with that do I eat back my exercise calories? None, some, all? and also wow 1494 calories...To me eating that high is scary :( I am not new to weight loss but like many high calorie intake when really wanting pounds off is scary....what are you thoughts? encouragment? help???? Thanks so much!

Replies

• Jaxter888
    Jaxter888 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Its all just a number... ultimately, what is important is a) accurately tracking your intake and b) tracking your weight loss every 2-3 weeks.

Its MUCH better to start with a higher...

So do this... start at 1600cals
    Track for 3 weeks... if your weight is dropping by 1-3lbs the first 3 weeks, continue... track your weight in 3 weeks again.
    if NO weight loss between each 3 week checkpoint, then reduce by 100cals and track again.
    if weight GAINED, drop 100cals and track again.
    if you have less weight loss over the previous 3 weeks, change NOTHING... loss is loss...only change if there is no change or gain.

if you are losing MORE that 1-3lbs a week on average, INCREASE cals by 100cals.

Keep your protein intake at about 120g and fat intake at 50g.
  • BuildingME7
    BuildingME7 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thank you
  • pspetralia
    pspetralia Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    You wouldn't eat your exercise cals back because you have already worked them into the equation.
  • jchrisman717
    jchrisman717 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    So are you used to doing LCD? 1400 to 1600 calorie range is not that high for a 26 year old. If the calories scare you eat them cleaner - good fats - natural PB, not processed, greek yogart, lots of good proteins. and veggies of course and drink lots of water. If you've figured out your calorie range using the TDEE method you don't eat back your exercise calories unless you do a really high burn that is unusual for you like over 500 then add a couple hundred more. Make sure you really track everything. I used to do a lot of guess-ti-mating and couldn't figure out why I wasn't losing. Now that I track and accurately log everything I'm actually quite amazed at how much I was off. Alcohol acutally adds up quite a few calories if you drink. Creamer in my coffee was adding another 200 calories I didn't account for, mayonaise and salad dressings, etc. Track your weight and give your body time to adjust to settling in to more calories if you not used to eating more. Shoot for an average over so many weeks instead of depending on a weekly loss. Good luck!
  • jandzangelz
    Options
    I agree at starting with 1600...May seem like a lot, but it is a good starting point. That is what I aim for each day. Obviously some days aren't right on track and that's ok. The more protein you put in to your diet is also pretty key. Try eating something with protein at every meal. Don't stress if it isn't exactly what you want the first few weeks. It is life and you have to figure it out. Some weeks are better than others. Just keep your mind on the end...getting healthy and losing weight come together. You can do it!
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    Just for comparison's sake... when I first joined MFP I set my lifestyle factor to sedentary as a SAHM who just kinda does stuff around the house and goes on the computer lol... but it turns out my actual daily burn without exercise puts me in the "Very Active" highest burn category on MFP.

As a preschool teacher I'm SURE you're more active than you think. I only have 1 preschooler at home during the day... the other 4 are in school all day long.