First 5K race!

Options
I'm running my first 5K race tomorrow! I'd love to be able to finish in 30 min but I'm slow! I usually run 5K in 35 minutes. I hope I'm able to beat that time! Any advice would be much appreciated!

Replies

• yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Use someone (an experienced runner) who gets the time you want........age doesn't matter.... use them as a "rabbit" and stay on their tail. Don't try to shave off too much time or you'll get discouraged. If you don't know anyone, join a running club or check times (published after the races) and make some new friends.....your local running shoe store can probably suggest some local runners to you also ......hope these suggestions work..........best bet is your local running club........
  • WhiteGirlWasted13
    WhiteGirlWasted13 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    That's fantastic advice. I'm looking at my first 5k in September. Commenting now so I can come back and do some of these! Good luck OP! Keep us posted!
  • slynn906
    slynn906 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I did a 5K this morning. It was 35 degrees. It's May, for goodness sake.
  • missipall
    missipall Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Wow that is chilly! How did it go?
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Good luck on your first race!

I agree with the advice to find someone to follow - it works for me every time. But don't try to get too crazy with your time. Race adrenaline will help you shave a couple minutes off, but to decrease by 5 minutes takes awhile (lots of training and effort).

I ran my first 5K a year ago (to the date) and my time was almost 38 minutes. Today, I PR'd at 31:38. I'm happy with a 6 minute decrease. It took a year to get that though.

Most of all - have fun!
  • Spindigo1
    Spindigo1 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    You got this!!

My first is in a couple weeks. I would also like to do it in 30 mins, but I think that's a pretty lofty dream for me :)
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Your first? Most importantly, enjoy the experience. In fact, I would focus entirely on the experience and not even consider the time*. Worry about that in future races...(and if you enjoy the experience, there will almost certainly be future races).

(* All of this advice from a guy who can't stop focusing on his times even on training runs.)
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Dont set yourself up for disappointment. 5 minutes on a 5K is not realistic. You will probably spill your guts and finish walking. If the planets align themselves just right you may cut 2 minutes. Run YOUR race. Go out there and get some experience.

Let us know how you did.
  • slynn906
    slynn906 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Missipall, I finished in about in about 56 minutes. I ran some, but mostly walked. It was cold out there!
  • missipall
    Options
    Missipall, I finished in about in about 56 minutes. I ran some, but mostly walked. It was cold out there!

slynn906, wow congrats! I'm sure you had a good time despite the cold!!
  • missipall
    Options
    thank you all for the great advice! I'll focus on having a good time tomorrow and will report back!
  • missipall
    Options
    Hi Everyone! An update as promised! My 5K was so much fun and I beat my time by 30 seconds! I'm very satisfied! Thank you all for the advice you sent my way! Next race is Warrior Dash! I did Warrior Dash last year too and LOVED it! Can't wait!
  • Doodlewhopper
    Options
    Congrats Slynn and Missi.
  • SemperAnticus1643
    SemperAnticus1643 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    My first 5k is Saturday, May 11th. I was initially going to run with my husband and run my race knowing he would meet me at the finish line eventually. He had to pull out due to work obligations. BUT I did get a new running partner: my 10 year old daughter! :smile: Pretty stoked about that!! :heart: So we will be running her race at her pace. I think she will have major fun since it's a color run. She will LOVE getting color bombed and we get to wear COOL shades! :glasses: Anxious to see how we do together. As long as we are in within 60 minutes (which is doable because she's not a bad runner), I will be more than happy and I hope she chooses to train with me so that we can run the OKC Zoo 5k and the Chesapeake Boathouse 5k.
  • missipall
    Options
    Thank you!! :glasses:
  • missipall
    Options
    My first 5k is Saturday, May 11th. I was initially going to run with my husband and run my race knowing he would meet me at the finish line eventually. He had to pull out due to work obligations. BUT I did get a new running partner: my 10 year old daughter! :smile: Pretty stoked about that!! :heart: So we will be running her race at her pace. I think she will have major fun since it's a color run. She will LOVE getting color bombed and we get to wear COOL shades! :glasses: Anxious to see how we do together. As long as we are in within 60 minutes (which is doable because she's not a bad runner), I will be more than happy and I hope she chooses to train with me so that we can run the OKC Zoo 5k and the Chesapeake Boathouse 5k.

WOW the color run sounds like so much fun!!!! That will be an exciting early mothers day celebration for you two!!
  • SemperAnticus1643
    Options
    First 5k finish time: 38.46

Not too horribly bad for my first 5k and with my daughter. Although I now think she could have ran it faster if she didn't have to stay with me. :happy:

Now for a glass of wine to end my big day!!! :drinker:
  • Doodlewhopper
    Options

Not too horribly bad for my first 5k and with my daughter. Although I now think she could have ran it faster if she didn't have to stay with me. :happy:

Thats not a bad time at all. Congrats.
  • missipall
    Options

Congrats!!! I'm sure your daughter enjoyed running it with you!!!
  • SemperAnticus1643
    Options

Congrats!!! I'm sure your daughter enjoyed running it with you!!!

She had a blast. We are now going to set the color in our shirts and frame them with our race numbers. My youngest daughter has now informed me that SHE WILL be in the next 5k race with us. :happy: Go glad I get to motivate them in such a good way. :heart: