UPDATE to Ketosis/Atkins

Options
CoachJ77
CoachJ77 Posts: 80 Member
So today is another day. Last night I went out, had some drinks and danced my butt off (a hell of a workout!). I made sure I did not have any sugar so I wouldn't slip out of ketosis.

I had to wake up early and head to my future grad school for a meeting so not only am I tired from the diet (no carbs), I am lacking on sleep. So today has been the most rough yet. I ended up taking a decent 45 minute nap and then on again off again sleep for two more hours. I got coffee with a friend as well and now I am feeling much better.

So the 4th day is coming to an end. Tomorrow is a good test and I have heard it gets easier after day 5. My diet is still on par (if you are friends with me you can check it) and tomorrow I will workout core + cardio.

If you have questions post on this one and not the original that way it is easier to see. Thanks everyone. :smile:

Replies

• CoachJ77
    Options
    My Food Log is viewable to everyone so you don't HAVE to be my friend if you dont want to.
  • jessicajoy87
    jessicajoy87 Posts: 905
    Options
    Yeah it will get easier. Watch where you are getting your carbs from. When i was on low carb I found myself getting most of my carbs through suger free snacks and low carb tortillas when youo should be getting them from veggies. It will give you more energy. Good luck.
  • waguchan
    waguchan Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    You are in ketosis and women actually danced with you? When I was in ketosis, my husband and kids couldn't stand to go near me because it gave me such bad breath! :tongue: I found a supplement called "Body Mint" that helped for it though.

Also, there is a lot of sugar in alcohol, so watch what you drink if you want to stay in ketosis.

Good luck! You look cut already in your profile picture!
  • aprilshowers13
    Options
    Wow, I just checked your food diary and you really are on a low carb diet. Your food diary also gave me some ideas for adding healthy calories. I'm struggling to eat back half of what I burned off.
  • jessicajoy87
    Options
    You are in ketosis and women actually danced with you? When I was in ketosis, my husband and kids couldn't stand to go near me because it gave me such bad breath! :tongue: I found a supplement called "Body Mint" that helped for it though.

Also, there is a lot of sugar in alcohol, so watch what you drink if you want to stay in ketosis.

Good luck! You look cut already in your profile picture!

LOL! I had such bad breath too! I always had gum in my mouth!
  • HIzara
    HIzara Posts: 187
    Options
    Your diet is CRAZY!!!!!!!!!! =O
  • jessicajoy87
    Options
    My Food Log is viewable to everyone so you don't HAVE to be my friend if you dont want to.

OH! Peanut butter always got me through!
  • CoachJ77
    Options
    Yeah I am a hell of a dancer :happy: But yeah I took only chilled vodka shots which were legit. The only carbs I eat are from peanut butter and veggies. Some things have 1-3g of carbs as well, like protein powder and things like that in my normal diet. My carbs are never higher than 39g a day with a 2k-2400 calorie count. My fat is anywhere from 100g-130g and my protein (other than today) is around 270g. I am pretty good with the diet, but I truly cannot wait till the last day of this so I can actually destroy some bread!

So recap of my nutrition:

Calories 2k-2400
    Fat 100-130g
    Carbs <40g
    Protein >225

Workouts 90mins per day (hour weight lifting and 30 mins cardio)
  • CoachJ77
    Options
    And yes I had a pack of gum in my pocket all night (and every day haha)

My diet is pretty nuts. I need to make a change to it as well because I haven't eaten any spinach or anything like that today, so tomorrow it will be in there by lunch!
  • jessicajoy87
    Options
    Yeah I am a hell of a dancer :happy: But yeah I took only chilled vodka shots which were legit. The only carbs I eat are from peanut butter and veggies. Some things have 1-3g of carbs as well, like protein powder and things like that in my normal diet. My carbs are never higher than 39g a day with a 2k-2400 calorie count. My fat is anywhere from 100g-130g and my protein (other than today) is around 270g. I am pretty good with the diet, but I truly cannot wait till the last day of this so I can actually destroy some bread!

So recap of my nutrition:

Calories 2k-2400
    Fat 100-130g
    Carbs <40g
    Protein >225

Workouts 90mins per day (hour weight lifting and 30 mins cardio)

Are you going to do low calorie when you are done? I gained so bad when I was done with low carb.
  • CoachJ77
    Options
    Are you going to do low calorie when you are done? I gained so bad when I was done with low carb.

Yes and no. It is lower calorie for me, higher for others. I am a relatively big guy. I walk around right now (as of yesterday) at 218 and I am 6'2. So for me 2k cals I will lose weight but my normal is usually around 1800 for cutting. Even when I start my bulking stage (more muscle) I am going to eat around 2650 cals but still lean meats and veggies.

Obviously it is just a math game, go over your cals and ever 3600 you go over you gain a lb, every 3600 fewer cals you eat, you lose a lb. But, and there is a but, if you are eating veggies (mixed, brocoli, spinach) you are adding carbs to your diet, but they are fiber and your body cant process that. So for me I eat fewer cals but also really lean meats. Pretty much do the opposite of what I am doing now. My diet is a higher in carb (for muscle gain) and <40g of fat

May be confusing haha, when I stop this I will be in vegas two weeks after, so I will still be cutting weight to look lean. My diet will be 1800 cals, 200-220g of protein, <40g fat and 120g carbs (90% complex carbs)

When I start bulking after Vegas, I will be eating: 2600-2800 cals, <50g fat, 200g carb and around 270g protein.
  • scarecrow41
    scarecrow41 Posts: 116
    Options
    Just wondering...why cut so much fat when bulking.
  • CoachJ77
    Options
    Just wondering...why cut so much fat when bulking.

I do not need the fat to gain muscle, that is a myth. You do need carbs though. There are two bulks, clean bulks and dirty bulks. Dirty bulks are when you eat a lot of fats and simple carbs. So you will gain muscle potentially but fat as well and that is counter-productive. Clean bulk is basically a bulk of just muscle. So your diet has to have "clean carbs", or complex carbs we say, and increases of protein. Since I am increasing protein, more fat is to come but there is no reason to be over 50-60g of fat while bulking.
  • scarecrow41
    scarecrow41 Posts: 116
    Options
    Interesting approach...let me know how it works. I wonder though, how much you'll be bulking considering your height/weight/activity level and your caloric goals.

2600-2800 seems to be at a caloric defecit for your range and that makes it harder (some say impossible) to bulk. I'm 6'3" 220 and with a workout I burn around 3400-3500 calories/day...seems like you wouldn't be much different since you are about the same size.

I'm not saying what you are doing is wrong, just a different approach than I've ever taken or read about and I'm interesting to hear about your results...Lord knows I wouldn't mind eating less than 3500 calories when bulking.
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    Alcohol will bring you out of or severely reduce your ketogenic state.

Are you testing with ketostix?