tips to stop eating too much at night

Options

Replies

• briggsy13
    briggsy13 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Night is me weak time! I have started drinking a meal replacement shake at night after the kids go to bed. Its chocolate and yummy and fills me up and keeps me from eating all the junk I used to eat. It is working for me. Plus its good for me so that's an added bonus.
  • jodigirl03
    jodigirl03 Posts: 111
    Options
    I save 300 cals for bedtime snacking. 94% FF popcorn works for me. You can eat a LOT for under 2-300 cals.

I've eaten so much popcorn, oatmeal & egg whites on this diet to last me a lifetime. But yea try switching it up with fruit etc.

Ps - I know it doesn't sound like it but most of what I eat is very healthy. I believe in balance & moderation. I think it's called the 80/20 rule. If you eat right 80% of the time, you can eat bad 20% of the time. But you still have to stay within your cal's. :)

Hope that helps.
  • angelaanhela
    angelaanhela Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Popcorn you can eat alot and its not that many calories (if you get the right kind!). Also water or tea. When I need some kind of 'flavor' for the night because Im scared Ill eat then Ill do a yummy tea instead of water. Zero calories and you can still feel like you are getting some kind of dessert (sort of).
  • craigmandu
    craigmandu Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    As long as you aren't going over your calories, snack away at night.

If it is taking you over your calories, drink a large (16oz or more) glass of water around 7-8pm...it will help take the edge off.
  • Yarabago
    Yarabago Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    A LOT OF WILLPOWER!!!!!
    My Kids and Husband do that all the time,snacking at nights...I just have to think about what I really want to look for summer and let them be...It sucks but It's just willpower :)
  • summery79
    summery79 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I made a rule that I wasn't going to eat after 9 pm, and I usually do that, unless I had a late night and didn't get dinner yet. Typically, I do dinner between 5:30 and 6:30. I almost always save the cals to have some sort of snack after that, but I really needed the stop time on eating, or I'd snack all night. If 9 rolls around and I am still hungry, I make sure I drank enough water, if not I do that. Or, I have some green tea with stevia. (0 cals) The tea is surprisingly warm and filling. A friend of mine who is also watching her weight says she'll drink around 7 cups on a good day!
  • Irenaekl
    Irenaekl Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    As long as you stay within your calorie allowance it doesn't matter what time you eat. if you're using up your allowance and then snacking later, you need to adjust your intake to allow for this.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    As long as you stay within your calorie allowance it doesn't matter what time you eat. if you're using up your allowance and then snacking later, you need to adjust your intake to allow for this.

Thank you!

If you like eating later in the day, save more calories for later in the day! This is what I do, and it makes me happy! There is no reason NOT to eat late or cut off eating at a certain time, unless you have stomach issues.

I don't even eat breakfast any more...just coffee.
  • titanbonnie
    titanbonnie Posts: 37
    Options
    Try eating a grapefruit !! Its full of juice and leaved you feeling completely full and its sweet , if you're craving sweets at night.
  • khall86790
    khall86790 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Drink lots of water.
    Also, save yourself 100-150 calories after your dinner if possible for a late night snack. I usually have mine about 9pm-ish and it's usually a few squares of dark chocolate or a piece of fruit. That sees me through until the following day.
  • chadraeder3
    chadraeder3 Posts: 288
    Options
    I don't think there is anything wrong with eating at night as long as you are within your calories. We all have different schedules but maybe make it a healthy or healthier snack. I like to get some protein or calcium at night, I love the idea of maybe switching it from potato chips to popcorn. I also like yogurt or beef jerky at night the jerky is salty chewy. If you make your own jerky it is not too bad, homemade jerky is lower in sodium and no nitrates. Make a large batch, it keeps almost forever, Good Eats did a jerky show good recipe.
  • carlytenney
    carlytenney Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Right after dinner I clean up and go for a walk. About 4-6k every night. After that I feel so good about myself I don't eat after that. Good Luck!
  • drvvork
    drvvork Posts: 1,162
    Options
    I find myself getting hungry about that time too. I brush my teeth & get myself ready for bed and when I think I want to eat... I just take my butt to bed. I used to see it in my children when they wanted to snack at night. I would tell them that they weren't hungry but they were tired and send them off to bed. I am just now practicing what I taught my children. (And it's working).
  • jfaironair
    jfaironair Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Try flavored water. I love nighttime snacks and for the last week I've been drinking water with lime juice when i feel an urge to snack coming on. It works!
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Go to bed earlier
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    Eat a later breakfast/lunch, eat less during the day, and eat a big satisfying dinner at night.
  • LeahT84
    LeahT84 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    When you go to reach for those chips, throw them right in the trash and grab some raw veggies to snack on. You can make hummus or a quick guacamole to dip them in. Much healthier and lower cal/fat than chips. Eliminate those things from your kitchen and you won't be reaching for them.
  • TooLeftFeet
    TooLeftFeet Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I love my snack time, too. sometimes I'll just make a cup of decaf. even with the splenda and creamer, it's less than almost any food that I want. I want butter drenched popcorn, cheetos, stuff like that. My snacks are my treats at night--I won't be satisfied with yogurt. SO, the decaf followed by brushing helps alot.
  • BeckyAnne4
    BeckyAnne4 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Find a healthier version of what you like to snack on, and leave yourself some wiggle room for it, just in case you decide to indulge. For example, my downfall is crunchy, salty foods :blushing: so when the snacking demon within emerges, I will portion out some lightly salted roasted almonds, some air popped popcorn, or some of the "hint of salt" triscuit crackers. BAM. Take THAT snack demon! I also find (just as others have suggested) that having a big glass of water can help curb the urge. The idea of brushing and flossing your teeth, and/or hitting the "complete this entry" button are also fantastic ideas. Some nights I do ALL of these things. Good luck!
  • mistesh
    mistesh Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    In Master Your Metabolism, Jillian Michaels says not to eat carbohydrates after 9 p.m. In Power Foods for the Brain, Neal Barnard says that "Protein blocks serotonin production in your brain, while carbohydrate has the opposite effect, helping you make serotonin. That's important, because serotonin helps you sleep." It's not easy being a night eater!

Why Blood Sugar Levels Rise Overnight
    http://glucerna.com/diabetes-connect/article/why-blood-sugar-levels-rise-overnight

What Food Is Good to Eat at Night to Prevent Blood Sugar Rise?
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/462804-what-food-is-good-to-eat-at-night-to-prevent-blood-sugar-rise/