Should I buy a HRM?

Options
I just had a birthday so I've got a little spare change and was thinking of buying one. Do people think they are worth it? Right now I've just been having to go with whatever the machines at the gym say, which I know is inaccurate. Also, what kind of info do they tell you? And does anybody have any recommendations? Thanks!

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I'm assuming you are looking at a HRM for calorie estimates (based on your post).

I love this blog, the real facts about HRMs and what you need to know before buying one (it is NOT an anti HRM post, just info)
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak?month=201003

Are they useful? Yes. Are they necessary? No.
    The problem I have with HRMs is that there is a lot of misinformation about them (which is why I love that blog, it gives you the whole story). The accuracy is highly overstated here. I've seen some people run into trouble because they blindly follow their HRM and are getting inflated calorie burns.
  • Runs4Wine
    Runs4Wine Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I ♥ my FT4 HRM. I had to adjust the standard settings to apply to me and my actual low/high HR, but it is great to give me actual measurements.

Like PP said - are the necessary no, but they sure are nice and a good motivator.

My one word of advice is spend the money on a HRM with a chest strap. They are much more reliable than one you just wear on your wrist.
  • shiningnebula
    Options
    Hi there. I have a Garmin Forerunner 305 with a heart rate monitor. It has been very helpful as I have figured out that if my heart rate goes above 180bpm I really start to struggle. However if I keep it in the high 170's I can run for longer and feel much better. If it creeps into the 180's I know quickly to slow down (not that I'm breaking any land speed records)/or speed up if it drops too low and I feel I can pace my energy much more evenly because of it. The Garmin also tells you all sorts of things like distance, speed, elevation, calories and you can set up pacers etc too. It's a handy gadget.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I don't really bother with an HRM, because my exercise is about getting into shape, the calorie burn from it is irrelevant, and I find that a lot of people that use HRMs find themselves getting into a mode of "must burn x calories" and in my opinion that's a very unhealthy mindset to have.
  • RandomMiranda
    RandomMiranda Posts: 298
    Options
    I have a Polar FT4 and I love it. While working out the watch tells me time, heart rate, calories burned and a few other things I don't look at. It will beep when I get into my target zone and when I fall below it so I can pick up the pace if I need to. I find it motivating because when I want to quit but I'm at 460 calories I'll keep going to 500. It also is more accurate than machines since you enter your height/weight/age then it monitors your heart rate in real time with the chest strap. The strap doesn't bother me at all, I don't notice it. I've used it during all kinds of exercise including swimming. I paid about $100 for it and it is worth it.
    Don't bother with one that doesn't have a chest strap. The $20 watch won't give accurate readings.
    That said, it isn't necessary. You can certainly get a good workout and reach your goals without one. But if you want to spend a chunk of money on something fitness related, it is a good investment.
  • karenmi
    karenmi Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, yes!

If I'm working out I want to know that I'm in the "yellow zone" (80-90% max heart rate) most of the time. I'm not going to waste time working out if I'm not going hard enough. The fact that I know approx how many calories I've burned is an added bonus.

I love my Polar FT4!
  • SeaRunner26
    SeaRunner26 Posts: 5,143 Member
    Options
    Yes yes yes! Did I say yes?

An HRM has been invaluable for me. All the machines and especially the estimates on the MFP site are always way off estimating calories. The HRM is the the best way to go. I'm still using a Polar F11 that I got as a gift a number of years ago and am still happy with it.

The chest strap style is the way to go. That way you get continuous data recording without having to remember to touch the watch.
  • gerirojas
    gerirojas Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    YES
  • GenesisandEden
    GenesisandEden Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    absolutely =) I love my Polar FT4!
  • kcritter77
    kcritter77 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Yes.
    My HRM is a fairly cheap one and I do not trust the calories burned it gives me unless I am out running or biking. If I am lifting weights or doing a video, it is highly inaccurate. What it does do well is give me my average heart rate and max heart rate. I always take this info and plug it into the shapesense calculators to figure gross and net calorie burns.
    I've compared this calculator against my boyfriends Polar HRM and it's dead on.
    I've found that most sites and HRMs don't differentiate between gross and net calories burned, which can make a big difference. (Number of total calories burned during your workout-number of calories you would have burned anyway sitting on the couch)
  • Alison12121
    Alison12121 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Yes! I really love my heart rate monitor. I wish I had bought one a long time ago. Getting one has been the best investment I've made because it really helps to motivate me to workout more. Honestly, I never worked out so much until I got my HRM. There's something really rewarding about seeing the calories you've burned. I do a lot of workouts at home, and it really helps to know how this.

I have the Polar FT4. It has a chest strap, and it's really comfortable to wear. Sometimes I even forget I‘m wearing it, and it doesn't show under your clothes by the way. While I understand that no HRM is 100% accurate, I think mine is pretty accurate because I've been entering the calories from it into MFP and eating them back, and I'm still losing. I also notice that according to my HRM, those exercise machines are way off. According to my HRM, I don't burn as many calories as the exercise machines or MFP say, and I believe my HRM.
  • Markguns
    Markguns Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Yes... Provides positive feedback which is always good. You can SEE your results as your HR recovers from exercise, elevates If you are exercising at a certain rate.. say HR at 120 for an hour v someone who doesn't have one may slow down. etc..I view it as my little PT assistant. :)
  • squatsandlipgloss
    squatsandlipgloss Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Without a doubt, yes. I do it for tracking calories burned but moreso to make sure I don't go way over my max heart rate, since I do Insanity and I am overweight, you gotta be careful with that.
  • LovePBandJ
    LovePBandJ Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I agree as to them not being necessary, but they are handy tools to have. I have two Polar HRMs. One tells me just the pertinent facts (calories burned, heart rate) while the other tells me all kinds of things including temperature, elevation, and can be attached to my bike and give me distance and speed. It even stores my workout .

Personally, people who like to quantify things or people who like gadgets would benefit greatly from an HRM. It not only will provide you with the data you seek, but, interest in obtaining that data alone is a motivational tool. Those who prefer a less documented, free approach, may not find the HRM as beneficial.

As far as a brand? There are so many new choices and I am not up to speed, so I cannot comment on the best option. I think there are even smart phone apps for which you can buy a chest strap that will document distance, pace, calories, heart rate, etc. It has been many years since I've been in the market for an HRM. When I bought my Polar HRMs smart phones didn't exist. I will say one thing about the Polar brand, their HRM syncs with most equipment at the gym. For example, when you wear your Polar chest strap, the treadmill you are on will be reading your actual heart rate.

Good luck and enjoy!
  • CTCMom2009
    CTCMom2009 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I have a Wahoo HRM and I love it. I have found, like other posters here, that the machines and MFP are WAY over-estimating my calorie burn during activities. I wear mine when I walk/run/play volleyball/cardio at the gym and I've found it very helpful. Mine also is Bluetooth, so it puts the info right on my Wahoo app on my iPod and then I can upload it to MapMyRun and other sites.
  • drefaw
    drefaw Posts: 739
    Options
    I haven't found it necessary to use a HRM just yet. And for all the "statements" saying they are "way more accurate" than the equipment. Well, I suppose that depends on the equipment... I do my cardio on mostly Cybex stuff, and I program it just like a HRM before every workout, so tell me how it is not just as accurate??

That being said, I would like to eventually get one, for my strength training super set workouts. That way I can better keep track of my HR and get a general idea of how many calories I am actually burning during those high intensity workouts. Notice I say general idea, as even with a HRM, it is still just an educated guess really ....
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,706 Member
    Options
    I recently bought one and discovered the calorie burns the machines at the gym were giving me were inflated. My typical workout is 65 minutes on the elliptical, targeting a heart rate of 140. I do a 20 second sprint whenever my heart rate drops below 140. My Polar FT4 says I burn around 580, the machine itself says around 780, and the MFP database says 926.

I eat back exercise calories, so this might explain why my weight loss has been so slow.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I haven't found it necessary to use a HRM just yet. And for all the "statements" saying they are "way more accurate" than the equipment. Well, I suppose that depends on the equipment... I do my cardio on mostly Cybex stuff, and I program it just like a HRM before every workout, so tell me how it is not just as accurate??

That being said, I would like to eventually get one, for my strength training super set workouts. That way I can better keep track of my HR and get a general idea of how many calories I am actually burning during those high intensity workouts. Notice I say general idea, as even with a HRM, it is still just an educated guess really ....

You might like this blog as well.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/exercise-calories-sometimes-the-cardio-machines-are-more-accurate-404739
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Should I buy a HRM?
    probably not
  • kcritter77
    kcritter77 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    The machines are only reading your actual heart rate when you put your hands on the sensors. If you aren't using them the entire time you are working out, or at all, then it is estimating your heart rate and by default, your calorie burn. Someone in good cardiovascular health with good endurance is going to have a lower heart rate and thus a lower calorie burn than someone who does not, even doing the exact same exercise at the exact same effort.
    That being said, this is why I say the heart rate monitor is more accurate, as it is reading your heart rate the entire time you are exercising.