Job interview

Options
A few days ago II went to a job interview. The woman that was interviewing came down a flight of stairs and asked me to follow her back up to the interview room. Before starting up the steps she gave me the "body sweep" with her eyes and then said "or we can take the elevator, elevator or stairs, which would you prefer?" For a second I was confused and said the stairs were fine. After I thought about it, I realized she looked at my size and thought that maybe I couldn't handle a flight of stairs. It was completely humiliating. I know she did not say it to be malicious and she probably wasn't even aware she did the sweep but it has stayed on my mind the last few days and has kept me motivated. I do not want someone to look at me again and question whether I am capable.

Replies

• MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Is this like the opposite of an NSV?
  • Sharkington
    Sharkington Posts: 485
    Options
    Are you sure you weren't just imagining her "body sweep"? You don't strike me as someone who would have a hard time walking up stairs by looking at your profile picture. Maybe she was just trying to be nice in offering you both options - kind of like when you're with a friend and you ask them "stairs or elevator?"
  • JessiBelleW
    JessiBelleW Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    Ouch! I would have been upset too! Hope you get the job (if you still want it!) Also glad you are able to turn a not so great moment into some great motivation :)
  • rebeccawwalters
    rebeccawwalters Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I've found myself hesitating with people as to whether to take the stairs or elevators, simply because I've assumed too many times when opening up the door to the staircase, then the person asking if we could take the elevator because they have bad knees, etc.
    But for me, I would ask no matter what the person looks like, just as a courtesy.
    Plus, I hate elevators :)
  • rebeccawwalters
    rebeccawwalters Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    By the way, did you get the job? :)
  • bearkisses
    bearkisses Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    maybe she was just checking herself, it is rude not to offer an elevator. you may not have been capable. you could have a wooden leg for all she knows. employers need to be considerate of those types of things.
  • laking128
    laking128 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I might be overreacting (I hope so!). They aren't making a decision until Monday or Tuesday :)