Am I counting this right????

Options
Am I counting this right??

My BMR is about 1400 per day, and myfitness recommends me to eat about 1200 calories per day to lose 1 pound per week. I am a server, but my settings are currently under the sedentary option.

If I were to change it, it would recommend me to eat 200 more calories per day.

My question is, with the tracking of my pedometer, working a 10 hour, sometime closer to 12 hour shift of continuous walking as a servings allows me to burn from 800-1100 calories (depending on the duration). Is it accurate for me to recording this 800-1100 calories as my cardio activity, or no?

It just seems “wrong” because it would mean i’d be shedding pounds fast if I’m also eating right, but as a server, we don’t get to eat frequently and often become dehydrated at work in a busy restaurant.

Please tell me your opinions/advice :)

Replies

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Okay, so you should probably up your activity level to "Lightly Active" or "Active." Or you could figure out your TDEE (again, probably want to go with at least lightly active) and set a custom goal that is above your BMR but below your TDEE.
  • Kalee34
    Kalee34 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I would most definately eat more. You need to be eating above your bmr.
    Research Eat More 2 Weigh Less on here and it will tell you how to figure TDEE and all that.
  • Mock_Turtle
    Mock_Turtle Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    If your BMR is 1400 and you burn 800-1100 when at work and you're looking to lose 1 lb/wk, then at least on those work days you should be eating something like ~ 1800 cal/day.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    You aren't sedentary. Your job requires you to be more active, that is exactly what those modifiers are meant to take into account. Under the description for active it specifically mentions waitress. I would suggest selecting that option and not logging back.

Is it the pedometer that gives you the 800-1000 calories? DOn't forget, you are going to burn a portion of those just living anyway, which is already accounted for.
  • sellychan93
    sellychan93 Posts: 15
    Options
    Thank you!
  • sellychan93
    Options
    Yes, the pedometer. It tallies how many steps I take (by attaching a sensor to my shoe), and it converts that to calories based on my height and weight.
  • sellychan93
    Options
    You aren't sedentary. Your job requires you to be more active, that is exactly what those modifiers are meant to take into account. Under the description for active it specifically mentions waitress. I would suggest selecting that option and not logging back.

Is it the pedometer that gives you the 800-1000 calories? DOn't forget, you are going to burn a portion of those just living anyway, which is already accounted for.

Would the fact that I'm "starving my body" (because I can't go eat frequently) affect my weight loss? Ex. slowing down metabolism and what not.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

Would the fact that I'm "starving my body" (because I can't go eat frequently) affect my weight loss? Ex. slowing down metabolism and what not.

Meal timing is irrelevant. Whether you had 6 small meals a day or 1 large one doesn't matter as long as your calories are under.
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I would set your activity level to active. You definitely aren't sedentary with the amount of walking you do at work. Eating too little can harm your losses since it will cause you to lose muscle mass along the way with fat and water.