Finally Hello

Options
Hello all,
I've been using the site for inspiration for some seven months now, and at 79Lb lighter (that's 7 stone to us Brits) I feel the need to thank all the messengers on the site for their honest opinions and general good humor.

At the start of January this year, I was a 21st behemoth with a 44in waist (elasticated of course) and a stomach that I could barely see the TV over. My idea of exercise was digging to the back of the fridge for "snacks", and I could generally get out of breath whilst tying my shoe laces.

But No More!!!! - I'm now a fighting fit 14st (194Lbs), with a 32in waist, a 44 inch chest (I have been 'Pumping Iron') and to top it all, I just had a full medical where my cholesterol was 4.5, heart rate 66 and blood pressure bang on nominal.
I've ditched all my old wardrobe, bought decent clothes (I can tell you the first time you can zip up a pair of size 32 inch waist Levi's is a feeling to cherish) and have noticed a fair amount of attention from the fairer sex.

Now to the crunch - how and why

As a 35 year old chap, I really did feel this was my last chance at getting as fit as I was at 21, so my new year resolution was to get to a 34 inch waist before Christmas 2010 - but once I'd started the whole diet and exercise regime - things came along in leaps and bounds. My advice to all new dieters would be to follow the advice on the site, stick to the calorie intake, and if you fall off the wagon every so often, climb right back on the next day. Find exercises that you enjoy, I personally can't stand running, but hiking across a hill range I do. Throwing weights around is OK if you're into that type of thing, but calisthenics may be more up your ally. Badminton or some other social sport is always good - you have fun, rib each other, compete and burn the calories.

For those of you starting where I was 7 months ago thinking "No way I'm gonna do this" set yourself a one month goal - I guarantee when you see the first weight come off, you'll think again, and also something I was not aware of, exercise becomes addictive!!

That's enough of me waffling on - Bis vivit qui bene vivit "He lives twice who lives well"

Replies

• aymetcalf
    aymetcalf Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    WOW! Congratulations on your success! :flowerforyou:
  • shell1205
    shell1205 Posts: 138
    Options
    Wow... that's great!! Congratulations on your weight loss, and thanks for the inspirtation!!!
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    I did the exact same thing 5 years ago. I thought that if I lost 25 lbs, I'd be ripped, but I just kept on losing till I hit 210 with a pulse below 40 standing (mine was all cardio). I am on here because 3 years later I let myself go, so I am now working on getting back there. Moral to my story, don't stop what your doing just because you made your goal, or next thing you know you'll be barely fitting into those 32s and pushing 240.
  • NanaAtaa
    NanaAtaa Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Wonderful. Absolutely Wonderful! Congratulations, and I hope to follow in your shrinking footsteps...