Hi what do you do for strength training?

Options
I just started doin some, but would like to know what you do specifically like machines and whatnot :)

Replies

• michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    I've been doing Stronglifts 5x5. It's just squats, bench press, overhead press, barbell row and dead lifts... all with barbells. Sometimes I throw in some other stuff I find fun... glute bridges, bulgarian split squats, romanian dead lifts, good mornings, and some biceps/triceps here and there because I like watching the vein in my arm pop out while I do them :laugh:
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    I use resistance bands - for almost 2 years now. I think I'd make more progress if I'd been using free weights, but idk. I do lots of compound exercises with them. Squats with bicep curls, chest flies with squats. Overhead press of course. Lower body bands for the legs mostly though. Do lunges with them under my feet while working triceps. Sitting on the yoga mat I do crunches and rows. I still want a weight set though. :)
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    I do Les Mills BodyPump
    Squats, chest, back, triceps, biceps, lunges, shoulders and abs
  • lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I lift weights, but I also do pullups, dips, push ups, and use the machines. I am fixated on growing my chest bigger...it's growing but very slowly for my taste, but then again, I'm 41, too.
  • royvor
    royvor Posts: 271
    Options
    I am doing dumbells 5lbs, and on some days 3 lbs. I do summo squats or any workouts where Jillian Michaels uses weights help. I use my body to strength train by doing mountain climbers, planks, push ups, burpees. Those are some things I do. If you want you can check out these two videos on youtube of workouts with dumbbells if you want. For Arms Of Envy a workout video on youtube.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oi2F1wpeDYw&list=PL814DB0F7CF63B324&index=16
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzLe55T4UMI&list=PL814DB0F7CF63B324
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JgtEo-xXDg&list=PL814DB0F7CF63B324

Hope this helps.
  • shellfly
    shellfly Posts: 186
    Options
    I'm using Nike+Kinect training for strength and weight lifting. I've been doing it for a while, and I'm primarily using 15lb dumbells for most of the moves but 25lb dumbells for those where I can manage it. It's been a good option for me, since we don't have other weight equipment at the moment. We're really focused on our budget these days, so we're trying to do what we can without buying more equipment and/or joining a gym (plus my husband really doesn't want to workout in the gym).
  • fireguy262
    fireguy262 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Circuit training that focuses on muscular endurance and not as much strength....You build muscle and keep your heart rate up....I got a workout guide from a retired fireman and it worked wonders. Helped me prepare and pass the CPAT. Even did better my 2nd time.
  • silvercanoe
    silvercanoe Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts 5 x 5.
  • barnzey901
    barnzey901 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I just started doin some, but would like to know what you do specifically like machines and whatnot :)

It depends what day of the week it is, as each day I train a different muscle/set of muscles

If I'm training 2 muscles I will do 3 different exercises with 3 sets of each, 10-15 reps

e.g. If I was training chest and shoulders

Pec flyes
    12x3 - 7kg

Shoulder press (machine)
    10x3 - 25kg

Chest press (machine)
    12x3 - 30kg

Front raise/Lat raise (superset)
    20x3 & 10 x3 - 6kg

Wide push ups
    12x3
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    I mainly use the barbell to do squats, dead lifts, bench, OHP, c&j, and snatch. I also do some accessory work like bicep curls with an EZ bar and rows with dumbbells. I do a little bodyweight stuff like pull ups and dips and use machine for a few isolation exercises like leg curls and pec flies.