My secrets to losing weight

Options
I just lost 15 pounds. That may not sound like a lot, but I have been wanting to lose 10 pounds for the last five years at least. I made the decision because I was in terrible pain with calcific tendonitis. My doctor suggested I take a disability leave from work while waiting for surgery, and my time at home was spent on prescription pain killers and lying on the couch with ice on my shoulder. I had already quit dancing which is a passion of mine , quit lifting weights which I used to be in the habit of doing, and I couldn't even eat or hand write or type with my right hand so the term losing muscle mass is an understatement!

I felt like I was destined to waste six months of life feeling rotten and probably eating lots of potato chips on my way to two hundred pounds.
I decided to try and stay at work and to lose the last ten pounds with help from mfp. I had already been tracking on mfp for a while.
My plan was to lose ten pounds whether I exercised or not.
Ok, so that's the back story, now I'll tell you what worked for me:

This is what I didn't do:

1) I didn't write long lists of rules and promise myself I would obey them all!
2) I didn't worry about when I ate. Although I usually eat breakfast, I know that many people don't and still do very well reaching their goals.
3) I didn't care if I met or went over my TDEE. TDEE means that nothing is going to happen!!! It's fine people! Over TDEE meant that I made up the difference over the next few days, or I forgot about it!
4). I had macro goals but never expected to be spot on, and I mostly just made sure there was a minimum amount of protein in there.
5) The only exercise I did was running and I only ran if I felt like it. So no pressure to exercise.
6) I didn't try boosting my weight loss with special tricks. I only ate foods that I enjoy. I ignored all the extraneous advice. TDEE was my only concern.

This is what I did. (2 things)
1) I just relaxed about it. Even when I plateaued for months I believed in the process.
2) I always always logged!!! This is so important to me because logging gives us far more information than a scale. If we always log and don't make too many changes, it's also the best way to know for sure what our TDEE is:)

Two other things I did:

3) I didn't eat potato chips much( this is a personal issue) but I did eat ice cream and pizza and whatever else I wanted to eat.
4) I believed I would reach my goal. I visualized it every day.( you don't have to do this, it might be another gimmicky thing, but I like to do this.)

I honest believe in the importance of keeping things as simple as possible and getting on with your life!

Replies

• quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    I like this post. Good message!
  • cschiff
    cschiff Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    <3 you Mandy. Great post to share. You are so inspirational and we, your loving MFP friends, are so proud of you. :))
  • Barbellerella
    Barbellerella Posts: 1,838 Member
    Options
    Congrats! Great info =)
  • sozisraw
    sozisraw Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    cool! super success !
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    That sounds exactly like what I've been doing. I've just lost 19 pounds in about 6 months. It might be a bit slower that 'one pound a week' but it has been rather easy and not a struggle at all. I did and didn't do pretty much the same things you just listed. Except the running, I just do not run. I do other exercise, and I've been doing it more frequently and more efficiently...but not much more than 30 minutes each time (I'm quite lazy). Mostly I just started looking at what my food choices did to the numbers in my diary, and started switching things around and making small adjustments so the numbers would end up a bit closer to where I wanted them.

I completely agree with your point about going a bit over your goal. I've been saying that to people for months. If you go over you goal by a couple hundred calories, several days in a row...the only thing that will happen is that your weight will stay exactly where it is. That's not so horrifying!
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    Yea..Your one hot mama Mandy..Im super proud of you.
    We have the same views on Dietary restriction and not putting such demands on ourselves..
    Yes it does work and yes its a process.
    Im happy we're friends.
  • cmulligan101
    Options
    Love this post, so inspirational !!!!! congrats on your weight loss :)
  • ChristinaK69
    ChristinaK69 Posts: 249
    Options
    I honest believe in the importance of keeping things as simple as possible and getting on with your life!

^^^this is the part I like. Great advice and I need to take that advice.mi put way to much pressure on myself with the whole process
  • happypath101
    happypath101 Posts: 534
    Options
    Good stuff Mandywe!! I was just thinking today that I need some visual reminders to keep me on track. I made a little poster-thingy years ago all about being healthy and that I deserve to be fit etc. I'm going to pull that out and pin it to the fridge. :O)
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    This is awesome! Good job!
  • Naturally_EB
    Naturally_EB Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Great message! I need to keep this in mind when I'm logging. Congrats on your weight loss too!
  • btoeps74
    btoeps74 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I like to do the same. Particularly the keeping it casual and not overly stressing about everything. Otherwise it becomes a task and you don't really enjoy it.
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    i can't find anything wrong with what you wrote. :drinker: :drinker:

however, i would add one small little note... meeting your minimum fats is as important as meeting your minimum protein. "healthy" fats are needed for the absorption of some micronutrients. i don't know why people throw away egg yolks and focus on the egg whites. i say, eat the yolks! they are good for you. :happy:
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options

however, i would add one small little note... meeting your minimum fats is as important as meeting your minimum protein. "healthy" fats are needed for the absorption of some micronutrients. i don't know why people throw away egg yolks and focus on the egg whites. i say, eat the yolks! they are good for you. :happy:

People throw away the yolks because of the cholesterol, not the fat. People with heart disease, high cholesterol, or even just family histories of heart disease will often want to limit cholesterol and avoiding egg yolk is a way to do that. But people without those situations should be just fine eating them!
  • ShmareParks
    ShmareParks Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Great post! Thanks for sharing! Keep up the good work!
  • wannatangle
    wannatangle Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Great post!

I have high cholesterol and I eat a lot of eggs (including the yolks). My cholesterol has actually gone down and my doctor said eggs are fine.
  • dorthymcconnel
    dorthymcconnel Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Great job! Great post. Thanks for sharing. :)
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options

Always eat the yolks! Poor chickens go through enough without us needing to be wasteful :(
  • KathyPBiles
    KathyPBiles Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Great post! Thank you!
  • jukyu
    jukyu Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I personally applaud you for learning to relax. I believe a tortured relationship with diet is why do many people are overweight to begin with. Kudos!