decreasing sugar tips

Options
I am over on my sugar intake every day and need some ideas to stop eating so much sugar. Any one have any helpful tips?

So far, I have bought sugar free candy and sugar free popsicles to curve sugar cravings.

Never realized just how much sugar I eat on a daily basis.

Replies

• MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    Eat fruits or something natural that is sweet?
  • saranl3293
    saranl3293 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    A big thing that was ruining my sugar intake for the day was Milk. I drank skim milk but it still has a ridiculous amount of sugar in it, so if I ate cereal for breakfast that took most of my sugar intake for the day. 2-3 days ago I switched to drinking Silk's unsweetened vanilla almond milk. Its 30 calories, 3g of fat, and no sugar! I just use it for my cereal, but it makes such a huge difference. And another tip that works at least for me anyways, dont mind the sugar content as much .I make sure I dont go over a ridiculous amount, but 9/10 I go over some. Mine is usually due to eatting fruits. They have a lot of sugar in them, but I consider that being healthier than say the sugar in ice cream. Its not processed sugar. Hope this helps!
  • allshebe
    allshebe Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Disregard it if you go over due to sugar from "natural" sources like fresh fruit, no sugar added canned or frozen fruit and milk. Those sugars come naturally tied to other things (like fiber or protein) that help counteract the "addictive" nature of sugar. What you DO need to be mindful of is the added refined sugar and high fructose corn syrup in many processed foods. They are put there by the manufacturers to "improve flavor" and encourage you to eat more of the product. They tend to be somewhat addictive by design. Sugar is metabolized like any other carbohydrate (in that starches are broken down into sugars and then carried to the cells to use for energy). Sugar is not inherently "bad". It is only a real problem if it "encourages" you to eat too much of something (a "binge" trigger), especially if you then end up skewing your macros (carbs, proteins and fats) and micronutrients (vitamins and minerals) to unhealthily low levels or unbalanced ratios.
  • allshebe
    allshebe Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Also, sugar free products frequently don't curb sugar cravings and may actually make them worse. Try drinking some water or other unsweetened beverage first. If you still have a craving try something lowish calorie with a "balance" of proteins, carbs and fat - celery or a couple of crackers/chips with some hummus or nut butter or, if you really need the taste of sweet, some fresh fruit with nut butter, hummus or plain yogurt (so you're including some stuff that is more slowly processed to lengthen the satiety period)
  • ammiemcolvin
    Options
    Thanks! those are all helpful tips. I will look into the milk sugar and have some Silk Almond Milk to try.