To Fit Bit or not to fit bit??

Options
Just wondering what everyone thinks. I have never had success in the exercise field. But I do love numbers and tracking. I am hoping to convince my husband (and myself) that the purchase of the fit bit is going to be a good thing and not just another way to waist my money. I am getting ready for summer (I teach) and will have time to get into this healthy habit. SO, is the cost worth the benefit?

Replies

• wwest21
    wwest21 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I've been wondering the same thing about the Fitbit. I want to make sure its worth the expense and not something I won't use.

I noticed there are different models and wondered which one was preferred.
  • carolmcgov
    carolmcgov Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Its very good for motivation. I find I am doing stuff I wouldnt normally to reach my step goals, like walking on work lunch breaks etc. It took me a few days to get the hang of it but now that I have I would definitely recommend

Edited to add I have the zip, its pink and its tiny and cute!
  • kmstieg
    kmstieg Posts: 58
    Options
    I got my fitbit on Feb. 17th.....I have am down 10#!!! I think you will totally love it. I got the fitbit one and wear it every second of the day. You can set your goals as small or as big as you want....it makes you challenge yourself and strive to do better and move more.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    My husband got me a pink fitbit zip about a week ago. I love it. It definitely makes me want to get up and move more. I mean I knew I was pretty sedentary before getting it, but the lack of activity on my part this last week is just astounding.
  • dan95130
    dan95130 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    You say you love numbers and tracking. I'm the kind of person who gets as much pleasure out of reading the box scores as I do watching the baseball game. If you can relate to that statement, you'll love having a Fitbit.
  • GreenStars
    GreenStars Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I've been wearing my fitbit since January 2nd. It's a great way to track how much you walk/move throughout the day. For the first couple of weeks I just wore it and didn't change anything, noticed I was only getting 6,000 to 8,000 steps. I mindfully upped my activity level and have recently moved my goal up to 11,000 steps daily.

I find it to be a very motivational tool - easy and honest way of keeping me on track.
  • lsipe09
    lsipe09 Posts: 6
    Options
    I love my FitBit One! The motivation it gives me to work just a little harder is amazing. There are several styles out there now at various price points so find the one that works for you. The FitBit One has a silent alarm and I have it set a couple times during the day to remind me to get up and walk. I find when I am actively tracking my food on MyFitness Pal and watching my steps on the FitBit the scale moves down! Knowledge is power! Good LUCK! :wink:
  • decreasing_me
    Options
    Thanks everyone who contributed here...you have me convinced. Now, to convince my husband and figure out which one :love:
  • iiiEllie
    iiiEllie Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I'm waiting for the Flex to come out, I want it nooow.
  • nursedonnaj
    nursedonnaj Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I have a pink Zip and Love it. I find myself walking extra just to make sure I hit my goal for the day. I have literally stood and walked in place at the side of my bed just to hit my goal before going to bed. :) It was worth the $60. It syncs to MFP and iphone with no issues.
  • LG61820
    LG61820 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I have been happier since I bought the FitBit One. There are lots of different tracking devices. Here's why I like the FiBbit One: it tracks my steps, my miles, my sleep time, my estimated calorie burn and puts all my stats into cool pie charts and bar graphs. It provides my ranking of steps in my group of online friends.

I find it super, super motivating.

If you want a device that will calculate your calories burned and your calorie intake and be exact at it, the FitBit One is likely not for you. However, the website and tracking are free. There's a supportive community. It's just a lot of fun to see how much you were active in a day. That was worth $99 to me, you will need to decide the cost/benefit ratio for yourself.
  • samiCrozier
    Options
    I am VERY lazy. and recently started to try walking of the pounds, I was simply using google map to tell me the distanc eof the walks and eating bad and wondering why I wasn't loosing. Then I bought Fitbit and did a little research into walk your weight away. I have been told by my fitness pal and the walk program that I will loose 10Lbs if I keep going at same pace. The fitbit helps push me as I am working on walking 8 miles a day so by 7pm when my littles are asleep if Im at6/7 miles I know I need to keep going until I hit 7. Is a great pusher. Is my life really my wake up call in the morning, mmy watch, my step tracker and my miles tracker. Every so often you get cheeky little sayings from it and yes totally pushes me.