Hate to cook

Options
fishndad
fishndad Posts: 102 Member
I hate to cook!!! Frozen meals aren't probably the beast way to go either. I generally have one meal at a restaurant, then a sandwich & some snacks later & overall don't have a very healthy lifestyle. If it has 4-5 ingredients, don't have much preparing to it, in other words one-pot mix, I could probably put it together. The healthiest thing I have is some carrots with hummus & an apple once in awhile. Any ideas?

Replies

• NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    I do the hummus thing too. But I make it a full meal. Hummus, carrots, celery, cucumber, green beans, turkey slices. Finger food/dipping yumminess.

I've also been making soup about every other week. Thick soup. I just get some broth and add pre-cooked meat (chicken chunks with chicken broth, beef strips with beef broth). And cut up a bunch of potatoes, carrots, celery and green beans. Then I pour in either some brown rice, or lentils, or barley, or pasta. And sprinkle some seasoning salts or celery salt or just plain salt and pepper. Let it simmer for an hour and it's done! I usually get four meals out of it, and it's really filling and only about 350 calories per bowl.

And...that's about all the cooking I do, unless you count eggs.
  • jen81uk
    jen81uk Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I LOVE cooking and prefer to cook than go to a restaurant sometimes. Experiment. If you dont like cooking try quick and easy recipes. Pasta Carbonara is easy to make, same as a spag bol and most pasta dishes, . Look up Jamie's 15 minute and 30 minute meals it's a UK site but some tasty stuff.

It's hard without knowing what you like? Chilli, risotto's, soups are quite easy too. Get a slow cooker and chuck a chilli, curry or casserole in and let it simmer all day. Will still need 20 mins prep but worth it.

Experiment, look for quick ish recipes without too many ingredients but try things you fancy, with stuff you like?
  • rosemaryhon
    rosemaryhon Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Lots of good foods are simple to make ~ such as chicken breast, fish, salmon (etc) ~ just sprinkle some olive oil, seasoning, or even salad dressing, stick in the oven, and yum. You can easily toss some frozen veggies in with it too.

Today I bought chicken breast, they were cut up in strips already. I came home, sprayed a cookie sheet with butter spray, dumped the whole package on the pan, stuck in the oven (350) til they were no longer pink (20 minutes?). I didn't even season them, figured I'd top them how I like when I eat 'em. I let them cool, scooped into a freezer bag and froze. Now I'll be able to grab one or two, defrost in the microwave, and add to my salads to easily up my protein (my goal this week!).

I did this ^^ because I've been using Tyson frozen/pre-grilled chicken breasts and they're soo dang high in sodium.

I'm sure you'll get lots of other easy ideas ~ good luck (the frozen meals are just soo high sodium, right?).
  • bluestonechic
    bluestonechic Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Best non-cooks helper is the slow cooker (crock-pot)! You throw in your desired meats, veggies, rice and you have a complete meal. There are thousands of recipes online you can get ideas from....soups,stews, chili, chicken, roast. The meals are endless. Then you can freeze the left overs and re-heat when needed.
    I did a bone-in turkey breast in the crock pot
    with 3 ingredients. Take one package onion soup mix and rub underneath 4-5 lb turkey skin and outside of breast; put in crock pot with one can of cranberry sauce. Set for low for 8 hrs. Yummy! Good Luck!
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Any ideas?

Get off your butt and cook anyways.

I don't like cleaning my house but I also don't want to live in a pig sty.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    Do what I did...date someone who knows how to cook gourmet :tongue:
  • DollyMiel
    DollyMiel Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    My stepmom loves to cook but it's a lot of effort. So she makes a large amount at once so it'll last for the week if possible, or meals that hold up well when frozen/defrosted. Maybe you could try that.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    I used to hate cooking too because I sucked at it. I wouldn't feed a dog what I would cook. But after some practice, I got better and better and now I actually enjoy it.

Try getting better at it and see if you dig it. Good luck!
  • m76b
    m76b Posts: 1,498 Member
    Options
    just try!! i hate to cook too..... but i push myself to do it lol! find recipies.. easy recipies to start:wink:
  • mgrimshaw
    mgrimshaw Posts: 3
    Options
    Take the time to pre-wash and pre-chop fruits and veggies when you bring them home from the store before you put them away. Then, crock pot, make ahead meals, and easy assemble foods (sandwiches, wraps, salads, soups, etc) will all be great options. You can find recipes for crock pot & make ahead meals online. And, perhaps put together a list of restaurants that serve healthier foods so you can have better options if you do go out to eat.
  • TabbyOne
    TabbyOne Posts: 6
    Options
    Sorry if this has already been suggested, I hate reading. :) How about a slow cooker? Then search recipe that fit your type of diet. This may not take care of every meal every day but it's a start. Also one can foil packet some complete meals. Also some people do a once a week cooking session and freeze the various parts to then heat or cook in one pot or pan for the rest of the week. Something to search for, freezer cooking.

Best wishes.
  • YourLotusFlower11
    YourLotusFlower11 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I buy frozen salmon portions wrap them in a foil parcel put a bit of olive oil on it and some water and stick it in the oven for 25 minutes at 200c, for side I usually have some spinach also frozen with olive oil and lemon or/and boiled potatoes, I dont even peel the potatoes I just wash them and cut them in pieces and once they r cooked I just peel the skin off I also put olive oil on the potatoes and some salt. When I dish out the salmon I also put lemon on top. I'm italian I love olive oil and lemon.

Watch how much oil you put as it's high in calories and weigh ur vegetables of choice. U can do the same with cod or haddock and also whole seabass.

I am a lazy cook so I always look for shortcuts.
  • monimoni1979
    monimoni1979 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I hate cooking too. But my diet has recipies that are so simple and fast that It's not a problem for me. For example, take some meat, like chicken or turkey breast, put some herbs and spices on it, and roast it. It takes 15 minutes to prepare, and then you simply wait for about an hour for the result. I also use frozen vegetables, but not ready made meals, only simple vegetables mixed together without any sause, potatoes, rice inside. Again, 15 minutes to boil it, or steam it. It's not cooking, it's heating. It's good for the winter. In The spring and summer, you can eat anything that grows around. eating fresh vegetables like tomatoes or cucumber doesn't take much effort. Also, I often prepare more portions for dinner one day, so that I don't have to cook for the next two or three days :smile:
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    soup with cheese and crackers.
    soup and salad.
    um you could also pick up a precooked chicken from the grocery store. Then all you need is some frozen ( or fresh) veg and a starch.
  • MicroHez
    MicroHez Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Pay me well and I will be your personal chef ;) Nothing thrills me more than cooking... it's just the clean up that sucks!
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,723 Member
    Options
    Learn. It's never too late. To me, it's one of the great joys of life. Buy a cook book, learn the basic techniques, and do it.

I love it when people eat what i cook and they enjoy it.
  • Cam_
    Cam_ Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    After "surviving" on frozen dinners for a few months, many years ago, I became *inspired* to make my own food. I guarantee that food you make at home will be cheaper, healthier and taste better.

First off, I have to jump on that recommendation for a crock pot/slow cooker. You just throw in your ingredients, turn a dial and you're good to go. Only one pot to clean up. I recommend you get a simple one with just 1 dial on it (hi-low-warm-off). We had a fancy one with a digital clock timer etc but it was a pain to reprogram it every time you used it (and that's coming from a computer programmer!)

We use it for:
    Roasts: beef and pork - throw in some veggies and potatoes with the beef, my wife found a great pork recipe with red wine and onion soup mix. (We don't drink but we always keep a bottle of red wine in the house just for this recipe).
    Here --> http://allrecipes.com/recipe/amazing-pork-tenderloin-in-the-slow-cooker/
    We also do chicken chicken cacciatore, chicken Marrakesh ( a Moroccan-inspired recipe with yams chick, peas/garbanzo beans turmeric and cinnamon). One of my fav recipes. Here--> http://allrecipes.com/recipe/slow-cooker-chicken-marrakesh/
    Both can be served over noodles or rice.

I prefer the long grain rice - we like the jasmine/Thai rice. Easy to make. Just one part rice to 2 parts water (and a couple table spoons extra water). Bring water to a boil and just add the rice, stir, and cook on low for 25 minutes with the lid on. So easy and so good.

Slow cooker is also great for chilli and stews. We've even made ribs in it. Just remember to remove the facia from the ribs - we barbecue each side for 15 minutes to give it the BBQ taste and then they go in the cooker. The meat falls off the bone when done. A good go-with is potato salad and a salad/coleslaw (which are also pretty easy to make). I have an amazing potato salad based on a recipe I got from Russell Johnson's website (the professor from "Gilligan's Island").
    His site--> http://www.russell-johnson.com/Cookin__with_the_Prof/cookin__with_the_prof.html

Here's an easy dish. I think it traces back to a Campbell soup recipe.
    Pork and rice with veggies. I'll just post the whole thing below. Hopefully this will give you some ideas
    All the best on your quest and Bon Appetite!

---Cam's Pork Chop and Rice (With Veggies) Dish---

An incredibly easy one-pan recipe that takes only a few minutes to prepare and tastes good.

6 chops (fast-fry boneless chops)
    2 soup-cans full of water (2 2/3 cups or 600 ml)
    2/3 cup rice
    3 cups frozen veggies
    1 can cream of mushroom soup
    shake & Bake to cover top of chops (use regular/for chicken or Italian or whatever)

1. Turn on your oven and set to bake @ 400 F degrees.
    2. In a 13x9x2-inch pan, add soup, then using the same can, add 2 cans of hot water.
    3. With a fork, mush up the soup in the water so there are no big chunks
    4. Pour the rice into the pan distributing evenly (zigzag)
    5. Add the frozen veggies (again, distribute evenly)
    6. Add the chops on top, evenly spaced (they may or may not be above water. Either is ok)
    7. Sprinkle tops of chops with shake and bake mixture
    8. Bake for 45 minutes at 400 F (middle rack). That's it!
  • Junebugsc
    Junebugsc Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I hate to cook too! My suggestion is invest in an electronic steamer!! LOVE mine!! I cook everything in it from eggs, meats, veggies, sweet potatoes, rice, beans etc. I also suggest taking one day a week and cook for the whole week. I do this on Saturday. Then during the week, I come home from work and just have to fix my plate and heat it up!! Love it!! Try it!!
  • ArchangelMJ
    ArchangelMJ Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    One of easiest things I cook is a chicken breast. I actually wedge it between a piece of tin foil or stick it in a zip lock bag before pounding it out more thinly with a mallet. I then sprinkle garlic powder, seasoning salt and oregano on both sides, as well as a half a teaspoon of brown sugar on each side. I fry it up in a minimal amount of butter until both sides get a nice golden hue. It's delicious and it only takes a few minutes to took. I personally like to pan fry everything, I find it tastes better than baking and as is faster (the actual cooking) as long as the meat's been defrosting already, which doesn't take long in a container of hot water. I love the crisp golden sear you get on fish and chicken in the skillet.
  • pspetralia
    pspetralia Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Any ideas?

Get off your butt and cook anyways.

I don't like cleaning my house but I also don't want to live in a pig sty.

Not the answer you were looking for, but a good one. I hate to cook, but I'm slowly learning. I try to challenge myself to learn or try one new recipe a week. The best part of doing the cooking is that you are in total control of your own food.