how do I calculate this?

Options
avatrx
avatrx Posts: 52
I made ham salad. I used homemade mayo concoction of 1/3 c each - mayo (my own) - 1/3 cup greek yogurt - 1/3 cup Daisy sour cream (light). 3-4 stalks of celery - 17 oz of leftover ham from a Cook's shank ham. If I added up everything right I come up with about 1800 calories for the entire amount. That would last me DAYS! I use about 1/2 C per sandwich, but how do I calculate how many calories would be in 1/2 c. since some of the measurements are in ounces and some in cups. nothing is consistent.

Do I really have to measure out the whole batch with a measuring cup? and then divide or is there an easier way?

this is the problem with calorie counting when you make alot of things from scratch.....................

I calculate my mayo to be about 1900 for the entire amount.
1 large egg
1 T Dijon
! T lemon juice
1 C Olive OIl - Sam's club brand ( Member's Mark).
17 oz of chopped ham (in food processor).

maybe I goofed. the entire batch of mayo is around 2000 due to the olive oil, but I only used 1/3 C.
Mad in food processor so it ends up being more than 1 cup.

I used 1/3 C. mixed with the sour cream (approx 120 calories) and the yogurt (Greek Yogurt approx 60 calories)

the celery is pretty much a freebie.

maybe I goofed. the entire batch of mayo is around 2000 due to the olive oil, but I only used 1/3 C. I'm experiencing a brain cramp. can someone help me out here? my math inclined brain is on vacation today.

Counting calories is easy when you eat packaged products, but not when you make your own stuff :smile:

Replies

• budgirl9
    budgirl9 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Yup, you pretty much have to measure everything, add it up, and then divide it by the number of servings. Good thing though is that once you do that, you can store it in your "meals" or "recipes" and you'll have the info for the next time if you make it the same way. The first time is a little time consuming but handy later on.
  • tabfjo
    tabfjo Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    You can add all the ingredients into the "My Recipes" section on here and it will tell you how many calories per serving. Plus, you can save the recipe and use it again when you need too.

I'm more familiar with how to get there on the mobile app, than online webpage.

The mobile app:
    Under the Down Arrow button (top right hand corner of app main screen)
    Go to "Edit Foods & Exercises"
    Then to "My Recipes"
    At bottom of page there should be a "New Recipe" button
    Create a name, how many it serves, and add ingredients!
  • tabfjo
    tabfjo Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Found it on the webpage....

Go to the "Food" tab
    Go to the secondary tab "Recipes"
    Then on the far right hand side of the page there's an "Add New Recipe" Button
  • SelenaBou
    SelenaBou Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I would do it as two recipes. One being your mayo as it's own recipe and one for the ham salad. Then you can use the mayo recipe later for other things and you have the ham recipe when you make it. I do that with all of the things I make and eat regularly to make it so much quicker to log things when I'm busy and on the mobile app.
  • avatrx
    avatrx Posts: 52
    Options
    I would do it as two recipes. One being your mayo as it's own recipe and one for the ham salad. Then you can use the mayo recipe later for other things and you have the ham recipe when you make it. I do that with all of the things I make and eat regularly to make it so much quicker to log things when I'm busy and on the mobile app.

That's what I ended up doing. Since I use this may0/yogurt/sourcream recipe for lots of things. I just add different seasoning. I just have to measure how much mayo my recipe makes.

I guessed at the ham salad at 223 per cup. If I use 1/2 cup per sandwich, which is about right - then I guess it's not quite as 'loaded' as I thought it was. I'd rather estimate high as opposed to low.