For the 200 + gals(& guys)

Options
Being bigger, it is harder to notice that you are losing weight and it takes longer for other to notice that you are losing. I have lost 16 lbs in less than a month yet I can't help but get discouraged when I look in the mirror when I feel so skinny and still see the fat roll on my neck and my belly. Although they are shrinking, they are still there. With the 250's approaching I can get comfort in knowing that I have not been there in close to 4 years and the 240's, well its been at least 6-8 years and then beyond 240's, it has been over 10 years. So I know celebrations are coming in time. How do you over ride the let down in the mirror when you feel so skinny but you don't look that skinny just yet?

Replies

• mynuet
    mynuet Posts: 6
    Options
    I've been taking pictures. I can't see a difference in the mirror, but I can see a distinct difference in my hips and thighs from last month to last week in pictures. I've also got an anti-growth chart in the bathroom, measuring my hips by marking the walls as they shrink.
  • Galathea
    Galathea Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    I try to focus on the little victories, no matter how small I focuse on body parts where the weight comes of faster, like legs and arms. And I can see a difference there. The bigger parts like belly and hips just take more time. I talk with people who are honest with me and I definitely don't look too much into a mirror. LOL I know what I'm doing is good and healthy. It took time to gain the weight, so losing it has to take time as well.
  • khk2010
    khk2010 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I've lost 24 pounds to date. I'm still over 200 with 50 to go.I finally noticed when I lost over 20 pounds. Measuring has helped me a lot. At this point I have lost 8" from my waist. That is huge and I can acknowledge it even though it is still hard to see. Last week end I went through my closet and found lots of clothes are too big now. This is a good way to acknowledge that you are thinner.

(Only a few close family have noticed any weight loss at all. With the hard work of losing weight I find that frustrating.)

And wow, that is a huge loss. Way to start the plan!
  • chellehepner
    Options
    I personaly try not to look in the mirror too much! It's frustrating to know I've lost but to not really see it. On the off chance I do look in the mirror I remind my self that I Gained all this weight over the last three pregnancys so I need to give myself at least that long to loose it. That I feel better and thats whats most important is that I can feel a diffrence. And lastly that My clothes fit diffrently, and I'll eventualy get where I want to be. Good luck everyone
  • ljm0104
    ljm0104 Posts: 42
    Options
    I started out in the 200's and I had a party when I got below it! It takes a while but you can do it! Just keep at it and remember even when the scale doesn't go down it usually mean you built muscle to make those rolls go away. GOOD LUCK!
  • eriny
    eriny Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    :frown: im over 219
  • krinio
    krinio Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I concentrate on being under 200! I know it's gonna be a great feeling!
  • French140
    French140 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Wow. I definitely understand! I deal with that same thing. My goal is just to get under 200 and I'm going to have a huge celebration! I have about 18lbs to go! I just stop looking in the mirror, shopping, trying on clothes, etc. It gets pretty discouraging! But hang in there! Listen to your body and tell yourself you are skinny! Mirrors are SOOO overrated!
  • 4myheartnsoul
    Options
    I've been taking pictures. I can't see a difference in the mirror, but I can see a distinct difference in my hips and thighs from last month to last week in pictures. I've also got an anti-growth chart in the bathroom, measuring my hips by marking the walls as they shrink.

Great idea to take pictures. I think I'll pick an out fit to always have my progress pic taken in- I always hated having my pic taken- b fun to post them in my profile also.
  • 623Hernandez
    623Hernandez Posts: 458
    Options
    I have lost 16 also (but it took me 2 months) and I really can't notice a differance either. Only 2 people have asked "Have you lost weight?" and that is a little discouraging. I have gone down one pant size so I know there are results and the number on the scale is getting smaller, slowly but surely. I can't wait to get to Onderland (under 200) either. I know we will start seeing a difference soon. Like someone suggested take pics it really does show. I am proud of you! Keep up the hard work I know it will pay off!!!
  • LainMac
    LainMac Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Ah, to someday being "onederful".

I've only lost 5 in month (which is on track for me sinice I picked the 1 pound a week plan). You really cannot see any body size changes but I'm trying to focus on the other changes, like:

Most days, I'm okay with my 1600 calorie level. I thought I'd be starving.

I had "out food" during twice during this month, (chinese and pizza). The chinese was so salty that it was easy not to eat all all of it, I brought home 1/2 to my very skinny kids. I had some really nice thin crust pizza. Had two slices. Brought home 1. Did eat the 1 but several hours later. Usually I eat 3 pizza slices in a sitting. These experiments have told me that the closer to whole foods and less oil, the better it will taste. And you don't have to eat it all, you can take it home and if you're still hungry, then have it.

I am passing wind less.

I'm getting more sleep because some nights I say, "Gee if I stay up, I'll get hungry again and I don't have enough points left to combat "the hungries", so I should go to bed."
  • smalltowncutie82
    Options
    I'm there with you! It sucks! Having support really helps though and hearing that others are in the same boat makes it seem easier to stick with it and get under that 200 mark :wink:
  • 4myheartnsoul
    Options
    I lost 16 lbs in a month because I had to go gluten free and I lost a tone of water from that and I am exercising for the 1st time in forever. I expect when I taper off and am not losing so fast it'll be frustrating...but that is why I have MFP!!!!!!!!!!
  • dgroulx
    dgroulx Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    No one has noticed that I've lost weight, either. I feel so much thinner and have lots of energy. My thighs have huge saddlebags and fat rolls. I see them everytime I use the toilet. There is a huge difference and they are much smaller. The same thing with my "bubbie arms". Yes, there are rolls of fat, but I can tell they are smaller. I actually took an old shirt that my arms used to get stuck in and I could fit. The sleeves were not flowing as loosely as they should but my arms were no longer stuffed sausages.

Tape measures are good instruments. Measure your neck and waist with each weigh-in.
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    I started at 242 and it wasn't until I was down to around 210 for people to truely notice. People that new I was working out said they could see it in my face first. The best thing to do is get a tape measure and start measuring. I remember the first check in with my trainer and I had only lost 9 lbs but I had lost 10 inches. It is a great boost to see the measurements got down.