Cycling to supplement (half) marathon training

Options
bkibbs
bkibbs Posts: 106 Member
I start training in a couple weeks for the Chicago Half Marathon in September. I have a training plan all mapped out (the RunKeeper app is a godsend), but was wondering if anyone has had experience with cycling as supplement to running as a training technique? And any recommendations for the type of bike would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Replies

• scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Cycling is good cross training for running as long as you make it a workout and cycle hard enough to get the heart rate up to train the cardiovascular system. I have done it in the past and it allows more training without the impact on the legs.

I don't think it really matters what kind of bike you use unless you want to start doing triathlons.
  • XMan714
    XMan714 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Yes, cycling will help. The varied intensity and reduced stress on the joints is great conditioning.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    there is a reason triathletes have the least amount of injuries among endurance athletes. it's because of all the cross training.

cycling can be used as a recovery exercise. you can get the cardio in while resting your calves and quads.

just be careful. you might love cycling so much you'll wonder why you're doing all that running.
  • time4changexx
    time4changexx Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Your best bet is a hybrid ($400-600) Theirs no need to spend so much for a road bike ($700+) if you dont intend to bike race and on the chance you love biking a hybrid is fine for most road races. A comfort bike ($100/200) will be ok if you dont have alot of money but its not meant for alot of miles & will wear quickly.
  • bkibbs
    bkibbs Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone!