Hey cyclist!!! HELP

Ok, anyone having problems with head aches? I'm drinking tons of water....???

Also, my hands and feet have been falling asleep while riding....

HELP!!!

Replies

• familybugs
    familybugs Posts: 129 Member
    Ok, anyone having problems with head aches? I'm drinking tons of water....???

Also, my hands and feet have been falling asleep while riding....

HELP!!!
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Didn't you say it was really hot there? Might have something to do with it.

I don't get headaches but I do have problems with feet going to sleep, just my right foot though. I'm working on the cause and think it might be pedal posture related. I bought gloves that have alleviated the hand problems I was starting to have now that I'm doing longer rides.
  • jpketz
    jpketz Posts: 73
    The headaches do sound like hydration. Of course other causes come to mind like allergies, polluted air, etc. but if you're not drinking app. 1 bottle of water for every hour of cycling, at least, try more water, or a performance drink like Accelerade, which is actually a better hydrating agent than water.

Numbness in the extremities also may have a few possible causes but the obvious ones are ulnar nerve pressure (hands) which can usually be helped with a new pair of gloves with gel padding, more frequent changing of your riding position, even adjusting your overall "fit", (done by a competent person at a bike shop).

Foot numbness, especially one sided numbness, is really common. I get it in warm weather on rides over 40 miles and have tried EVERYTHING and though it's not bad enough to ruin my rides, I haven't gotten rid of it completely. Again, proper bike fit can help, so can pedals with a larger platform, wider cycling shoes, lighter weight socks. Some riders swear by insoles to absorb some of the pressure.

Hope any of that helps.
  • ohthatbambi
    ohthatbambi Posts: 1,098 Member
    Shock absorbing gloves. Bought some and used them for the first time today....HUGE difference! Go get some!!!
  • cecreech
    cecreech Posts: 119 Member
    Hi Familybugs, I totally agree with jpketz. I would also say that padding and proper fit is the answer. I don't know if you are using padded shorts, but those will help with the circulation a good bit. Still, every now and again I just have to stand up. This especially happened to me when I was building endurance. (I still am actually) Training is not all about the muscles, its about everything. The venus return to the legs is different in ladies than it is in men. (ever wonder why older ladies get swollen legs and few men do?) My best guess is that you need to spend a little quality time at the bike shop looking at seats and shorts that are women specific. Something in your seating or stance may be impeding your blood's return to your heart. This can cause headaches and sleep in the extremities and all sorts of stuff. As your body changes with weight loss the parts of your hips that "hit the seat" change too. A good bike shop will have a way (no kidding) to measure the distance between your hip bones. It is a special seat that adjusts to your hips.That will naturally determine the seat size. The good news is that you have lost enough for things to be changing and change is good. I am confident that this problem can be solved. You go girl! :smile: If you are hydrating as well as you should then its pressure.
  • familybugs
    familybugs Posts: 129 Member
    Thank you all so much!!! This does help. I had a new pair of gloves,.. the gel ones you were talking about and they were a pain in the a- s to get on, they were a large... and i'm like why are they so hard to put on, thinking they were supose to be this way... well rode today with my old gloves... big difference!!! So I hope the bike shop will exchange them for me!!

I've been drinking Smart water instead of gatorade type drinks.. i don't want to drink my calories. Smart water is good right?

I think a trip to the chiropractor will help me too!

Have padded shorts!:bigsmile:

Husband is an expert rider, went to the championships with the 24 hours of adrenalin, use to own a bike shop and knows all about fitting. I will have him check my positioning again... things change from 4-5 yrs ago after having kids!! lol Sometimes hubby may take my complaints as complaining... :laugh: so its easier to ask you fine folks sometimes!

Thank you all so much!!