Anyone meet their goals without 'planned' workouts?

Options
I'm a person who really, really does not enjoy the idea of exercise. I don't lead a totally sedentary lifestyle; I manage to spend a good part of my day up on my feet, doing things around the house and going on the occasional walk.

While I don't mind all of that, I cannot, for the life of me, motivate myself to plan a workout and go through with it. I actually feel de-motivated after a workout, when it happens, that is... I'm wondering if anyone out there managed to slim down simply by eating 'clean' (fruits, veggies, no processed crap)?

I'm looking to lose at least a good 35 pounds... perhaps a few more, if I can do it. I'm only about 25 pounds away from the highest healthy weight for my age and height.

Replies

• mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    I met my goals without planned exercise, but now I'm planning exercise for my new goals.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Honestly, MFP is set up for people to lose weight on diet alone. As long as you eat under your calorie goal, you should lose weight.

Problem with this approach is, you are also going to lose a lot of muscle.. which is going to make keeping the weight off harder. You may also wind up looking flabby because even though your weight is low, the body fat is still high. Also as you lose, the smaller your calorie goal is going to get, which is going to make it hard to stay under.

Personally, I think you need to find something you enjoy. Be it running, walking, lifting weights, zumba, spin, what have you. I know I wouldn't look half as good as I do, if I didn't exercise while losing.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    can you lose weight without working out? yes.

will you get the results you want? probably not.
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    Most people that lose weight without exercise are still not happy with their bodies afterwards because they aren't toned... so you can actually lose less weight but be firmer and be happier if you are including exercise.

But, that doesn't mean you have to be a marathon runner.... you could just walk at a fast pace and throw in some weight/resistance training for good measure.

Good luck!
  • nvpixie
    nvpixie Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I don't exercise regularly, and I meet my weight loss goals. I consider my fitness goals separate.
  • amaranthine1018
    Options
    I do short calisthenic workouts every day. It's only about 10-15 minutes a day.
  • Jaxter888
    Jaxter888 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Losing or gaining 'weight' is 100% to do with diet... where that weight comes from (water, fat or muscle) can be influenced by both diet and exercise.

If you simply want to lose 25lbs.... yes diet alone can do it... but you should have certain minimums for protein and fat intake.

If you can happily eat at a deficit without exercise, fine.

But obviously, exercise is a good thing regardless.

Also, there is no such thing as 'clean/good' foods or 'dirty/bad' foods... unless you are referencing to its un/washed state!

There are only good/bad HABITS!... you can eat whatever you want.... I have KFC, beers, icecream, burgerking etc all the time and always still on a deficit....

In the end... what trumps is all is calorie deficit... whether you do it with less intake, or create it with more activity is upto you......
  • JenniCali1000
    JenniCali1000 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I rarely "plan" a workout, but I do plan to be as active as possible each day. Sometimes that means I go for a long afternoon walk, other times it means I pop in an exercise DVD. With two kids and a million things to worry about and tend to, I've learned that it's really difficult to plan things! Lol ;)
    As for you feeling less motivated after working out, maybe you just haven't found what you enjoy. What are your workouts like? Do you walk, run, go to the gym on the elliptical, lift weights? Maybe try downloading various workouts on YouTube to see if you feel better after doing some of those. Or maybe try learning a sport or activity that you think you might enjoy. With physical activity, it's super important to find something you truly enjoy and can see yourself doing years from now. Otherwise, boredom sets in, or you don't feel motivated (as in your case.)
    Good luck to you!!!
  • kirstyfairhead
    kirstyfairhead Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I'm 4' 11" and currently at 139 so our stats are similar. My BMR (doing nothing) is around 1370 so if I eat 1200 every day without fail I can create a deficit of 170cals per day. This means that technically if my body does everything it should and I don't cheat on the food intake I would lose 1lb in 3weeks. At that rate 35lbs would take close to 2 years to get rid of.

Now you are that 1" taller and you are younger than me so your BMR will be higher, you also get some extra burn through just moving around but I think you probably get the point that trying to do this without exercise is really tough for us little people. Our bodies just don't need that much fuel in the first place so creating deficits is not easy.

I would recommend you try to find something fun, maybe see if there is a Zumba class in your area. It is a really good laugh and a good workout. Also see if you can get a friend to come and workout with you, its much less of a drag that way.

You can always stick to the just food route but be prepared for a long haul!!!
  • lisamarie1780
    lisamarie1780 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I would stop thinking about how much you hate exercise and just do it. You might learn to love it if you keep at it. Exercise is actually really addictive and the boost in mood you get from a proper workout is amazing. Yeah, it's hard at first if it's something you're not used to but do it regularly for a few weeks and see the difference in the way you feel and look.
    yes you can lose weight without it but it will be hard to keep it off especially as you get older and have children etc. You are better off starting to create good lifestyle habits now while you're young and healthy.... and count yourself lucky that you're able to coz there are plenty of men and women who are unable to run, move, dance.... if you really want to be healthy and the best you can be show your body some respect by moving it!
  • khall86790
    khall86790 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Plenty of people do this just through changing their diet.
    However as for exercising, have you tried lots of different kinds? It could be the styles of exercising you are doing are not for you?
    For example, some people can not stand intense cardio or running, but enjoy swimming and yoga?
    Maybe you need to find what's right for you? Not just for your weight loss but for your general wellbeing.
  • MirandaDeCrane
    MirandaDeCrane Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I just gave birth to my baby, but before I got pregnant, I lost 60 lbs in about a year using nothing but WW/MFP. I did ww for 2 months and got started, then a friend of mine suggested MFP. I've been doing MFP for about 1 1/2 months and am already down 12 lbs :) It can be done! I detest exercise...I wish I loved it. I ran track in high school, and would like to get back to it again now that i'm older and my metabolism isn't what it used to be lol
  • sexymuffintop
    sexymuffintop Posts: 636
    Options
    Could you not just start by chucking in a few body weight exercises daily? Just starting with small goals like a few sit ups and press ups a day and add more on as you improve? Anything is better than nothing, believe me you will be so glad you did. Not enjoying something is just a mind set. You think you will hate it without even trying it, try it, see how you feel. The results might just be enough to make you love it?
  • marcvandenberg
    marcvandenberg Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I manage to spend a good part of my day up on my feet, doing things around the house and going on the occasional walk.

That's a workout.

I do a little dayly walk.
    And some houshold work.

So it's possible
  • Kalere
    Kalere Posts: 19
    Options
    Wow, I didn't think I'd get all of these responses! Thanks, everyone! As for the types of exercises I've tried, it's been mostly strength training without weights (push ups, attempted pull ups, planks, etc.) and other exercises one might do for back pain (I have scoliosis). I do find them boring, and I can't do too many at a time. That's probably why I don't enjoy them much... I do enjoy walking and house work, believe it or not. I think I may want to take up running too, now that the weather is warming up.
  • craigmandu
    craigmandu Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    You can absolutely lose the 35 pounds you want through diet alone. Plenty of people here have done much more than 35 pounds that way. And there is absolutely nothing wrong with doing that.

You do however need to realize that a drop of 35 pounds will not make you "trim". Unless your normal activity includes enough strenuous activities to help avoid muscle loss, you will most likely be happy at the weight loss, and then bewildered as to why you won't look "nice and tight"...

Exercise/Activity is what tells the body not to consume the "excess" muscle you have in every muscle group of your body.