gym with soreness

Options
So, day before yesterday I did free weights instead of machines for the first time. It absolutely kicked my butt, and I have been crazy sore since.

Today is supposed to be a gym day. I know that I shouldn't stress the same muscles again until they stop hurting, so weights are out ( it was a full body workout). Also, at 10 I'll be helping in our community garden with a job that involves heavy labor for 3 hours. Should I go to the gym and do cardio, or just count the labor as my workout? I don't want to hurt myself worse, but I also don't want to slack off!

Replies

• _Danno_
    _Danno_ Posts: 165
    Options
    I find that doing free weights with light weights to stretch out the muscles really helps with relieving muscle soreness, kept doing the free weights for a few weeks and you won't get as sore because your body gets used to it.
  • ktliu
    ktliu Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    If it hurts too bad then just do cardio, If it hurts a little, you can fight thru it. but either way, make sure you spend a lot of time afterwards to do stretching minimum of 8-12 mins. I learn yoga from youtube. It helps a lot.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Today is supposed to be a gym day. I know that I shouldn't stress the same muscles again until they stop hurting, so weights are out ( it was a full body workout).

Incorrect. As a matter of fact, hitting the gym today will help alleviate your soreness. Pain or injury are valid reasons to skip a workout/seek medical attention, soreness is not. Warm up properly and hit the gym.
  • Rockstar_JILL
    Rockstar_JILL Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Today is supposed to be a gym day. I know that I shouldn't stress the same muscles again until they stop hurting, so weights are out ( it was a full body workout).

Incorrect. As a matter of fact, hitting the gym today will help alleviate your soreness. Pain or injury are valid reasons to skip a workout/seek medical attention, soreness is not. Warm up properly and hit the gym.

Yup..this ^^^^
  • JJordon
    JJordon Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    Soreness tells you are still alive. Feels good. Is good. Zero defects!
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    My lats were really sore from a Monday work out.
    They hurt all day Tuesday but felt much better after my work out on Wednesday.
  • jsdcap
    jsdcap Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I believe in the "I have to go to work tomorrow mentality" I would rather do a light workout or rest then get hurt and loose a week
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options

Yup..this ^^^^

Just posting to agree
  • Junebugsc
    Junebugsc Posts: 34 Member
    Options

I agree! This happened to me just last week. It was my first week of weight lifting also. After the second workout most of the soreness was gone. The third workout...I can tell I had a good workout but no soreness like after the first workout! Go for it!!
  • cschiff
    cschiff Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    a little soreness = good
    real pain or an injury = bad

i say push through, you got this!!!
    p.s. stretch, stretch, stretch!!! i can always tell the day after a work out when i don't stretch sufficiently :/