i feel depressed when i take a rest day

Options
i take 2-3 rest days a month, today was one of those days
my calves are achey from running and all id be doing today is cardio anyway so i took a rest day
but i feel empty inside today. like my day is not complete.
does anyone feel that emptiness too? youd think i would enjoy the day off and relax. i cant wait for tomorrow morning

Replies

• djc315
    djc315 Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    What if you made your rest day a walk day, instead?
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    You'd be even more depressed if you injured yourself from lack of rest days and couldn't work out for quite some time.
  • th3lastunicorn
    Options
    I took a rest day today because of just a bunch of crazy stuff going on and I feel so empty inside. I completely understand.
  • ChaseAlder
    ChaseAlder Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    Make it an active rest day. Go for a walk.
  • Byrdsong1920
    Byrdsong1920 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Ur body needs it. It's as important as eating healthy and working out. Maybe those are the days you walk or take leisurely swim. Even adding yoga once a week. Low impact, but great for increased blood flow, stretching, flexibility, posture. Etc. met a hot 72- yr old lady, full of life and rockin high heels .... at an airport that convinced me yoga was her secret!she also taught belly dancing for Carnival cruise line! Lol
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I feel that way too. I'm nothing without my morning dose of endorphins.

but....
    You'd be even more depressed if you injured yourself from lack of rest days and couldn't work out for quite some time.

^^^THIS
  • cschiff
    cschiff Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    What if you made your rest day a walk day, instead?

TOTALLY agree. Go for a nice walk with a friend or relative maybe... always helps me :)
  • bookworm_847
    bookworm_847 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    When I take a rest day but still feel like I want to be doing something, I'll go for a walk or my husband and I will have some sort of tournament on the Wii. It's nothing strenuous, but I still feel like I'm up and moving around. It's definitely important that people take rest days even though it's tough sometimes!

The yoga and swimming suggestions are great too!
  • idagaines
    idagaines Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I get that way too. I try to rest once a week but I feel horrible when I do. I get really depressed and I feel so sick and light headed. But I also feel very guilty, like I don't deserve to eat that day. I normally have a banana every morning but that's its until I jog. I love to jog so when I skip a day its torture. And I get those aches on my legs really bad too. I'm so glad I'm not the only one that suffers some kind of withdraws when I cant jog. Jogging every day is the one thing I do have control over and I have to do it. Ive cut back on my speed and distance since I don't like that day off just so I can continue. People tell me all the time that I'm going to burn myself out and that its bad for my body. So I have changed it up

On my rest day I ride my stationary bike. Its easy on the joints and I get a great workout
  • matt2442
    matt2442 Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    I can relate but it just means the next day you can go extra hard cause youre all rested up..we got this..

WslVAhk.gif
  • silverlining84
    silverlining84 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I used to feel that way but I tell myself my body needs a chance to recover. I'll usually spend my rest day pampering myself because I deserve it! lol
  • meggyshae
    meggyshae Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I feel that way too. I'm nothing without my morning dose of endorphins.

but....

^^^THIS

Tottttally agree!!!!