VEGAN -Low Calories but High Fat?

Options
zaenida1
zaenida1 Posts: 14 Member
Hello!

I'm really struggling with finding a balance in my diet. I am a "pesca-vegan", meaning I'm generally vegan and occasionally eat fish. I've recently started tracking my diet and to say I'm shocked is an understatement. Here are the facts:

I'm 5'6, 134 pounds. On average I consume about 1100 Calories ( I didn't know it was so low) but my fat consumption is really high. This week it has been between 41-71 grams a day. I eat lots of avocado's, almonds, etc in order to meet my nutritional needs. I'm trying to lose a few pounds, stay healthy and not starve myself.

How can I still get all the nutrients I need (Iron, protein, vitamins) and lose weight without consuming so much fat?

PS- I strength train at the gym 2x a week and elliptical 1x a week - but I walk everyday about 1 mile (city life).

Thanks for the help!!!

Replies

• kklemarow
    kklemarow Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    What about vegan protein shakes? I'm currently using Progressive Harmonized Vegan Protein, vanilla flavour. I blend it with strawberries or bananas. It's low fat (2gm per scoop) and if you add a banana in there, you'll get up to over 200 calories in one shake.
  • meganshort11
    meganshort11 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    beans typically are lower in fat than nuts, but they do have a lot of carbs...tofu is also another option.
    honestly, it seems that most of the protein-packed choices for vegans unfortunately do contain more calories from fat than traditional sources of protein.
    good luck to you!!!
  • zaenida1
    Options
    I haven't tried the vegan protein shakes yet, that sounds like a good alternative. Thanks for sharing the brand info :) I'm going to start trying it after I weight train.
  • zaenida1
    Options
    Thank you! I struggle eating enough beans, I need to diversify my diet. I don't eat too much tofu, I try to avoid soy. Why is eating so complicated?!
  • MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    I eat like you. My carbs are more of a problem for me though. FYI nuts, and avocados are "good" fats though.
  • laurieagain09
    laurieagain09 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Cookbook I like- "Appetite for reduction" by Isa Chandra Moskowitz. Recipes are low fat and vegan... oh and delicious!
  • zaenida1
    Options
    Game changer, just looked it up! Thanks
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    As long as you eat enough protein (ideally 1g per pound of lean body mass but 1g per kg of body weight is acceptable) being over on fat is fine. Fats and protein should be viewed as minimum values so it's fine to go over. Carbs are unnecessary so you don't have to worry about eating enough. Some people do low carb, some people find their exercise suffers if they keep carbs to low, do what works for you.

For information of setting your macro target, go here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/911011-calculating-calorie-macronutrient-needs?page=1#posts-13821336
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    at 1100 calories each day I don't know how you have energy to exercise at all. Eat more, eat other proteins like beans and grains, cut down on nuts and avocados.
  • squeakyfish
    squeakyfish Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Fat is not the enemy. Saturated fat is not healthy and not necessary because your body can manufacture it. Unsaturated fats and Omega 3's are very necessary. Because I'm very active, I tend to consume around 50 g/day of fat. That's what I aim for. It's what I feel I need when I listen to what my body tells me. When I'm less active, that number can drop to around 30. Since you are mostly vegan, your sat fat is probably pretty low unless you are eating coconut oil by the bowlful.
  • Elf_Princess1210
    Elf_Princess1210 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    the happy herbivore has lots of low fat and fat free vegan recipes that are very good.

http://www.amazon.com/Happy-Herbivore-Cookbook-Delicious-Fat-Free/dp/1935618121/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1367726123&sr=1-1&keywords=the+happy+herbivore

ETA: You still need good fats in your diet in order to digest and utilize fat soluble vitamins like A,D,E, and K
  • craigmandu
    craigmandu Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Black bean burritos are pretty damn tasty...just sayin :bigsmile:
  • Rhonda21km
    Rhonda21km Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    With avocado and nuts being "good" fats, I wouldn't worry as much as if it was other types.
    But, if you want to try to change up what you eat and lower your fat consumption there is a great website that I use
    for recipe ideas.

http://fatfreevegan.com