MorgueBabe
MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
What's the difference?

Is there one?

Replies

• JoeyTajzai
    JoeyTajzai Posts: 1,198 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine told me that low weight and high reps is built for stamina and is usually what a lot of soccer/swimmers do when they work out. High weights and low reps helps you build muscle

edit: dont quote me though! this is just what i heard
  • jaygreen55
    jaygreen55 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    This is a link to an article from the NY times on exactly that question

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/04/05/ask-well-more-repetitions-vs-more-weight/

It is not the answer most on this site would give but it is backed by research. There are also many thoughtful opinions in the comment section below the article
  • Frank_Just_Frank
    Frank_Just_Frank Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Low reps @ high weight is more for building strength whereas the opposite helps more at building muscle.
  • Fleshgodful
    Options
    Muscle is made up of muscle fibers and the sarcoplasm.

High weight, low reps (usually 1 to 5 reps) is for myofibrillar hypertrophy. This means an increase in the amount of muscle fibers, which results in stronger, but smaller muscle. You still gain some sarcoplasmic hypertrophy this way.

Low weight, high reps (usually 8 to 12 reps) is for sarcoplasmic hypertrophy. This means an increase in the size of the sarcoplasm, which makes your muscles look bigger. You still gain some myofibrillar hypertrophy this way.
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    From what i know - High weight - low reps like 5x5 will be more efficient at building strength.

"Lower weight" - higher reps are more efficient for fat loss.....

Now you will notice the inverted commas - I still go pretty heavy - as much as I can lift / push for 12 to 15 reps.

My bench presses are 90lbs for 12 -15 reps...(4 sets)

Also I keep my rest very short - so higher intensity most probably than 5x5 ( which I have never done - so I might be totally off on this )

An extract from this article.......

http://www.charlespoliquin.com/ArticlesMultimedia/Articles/Article/854/Lose_Weight_For_Summer_Top_Five_Training_Tips_For_.aspx

Tip #1: Train A High Volume, Short Rest Periods & Moderate Loads
    Strength train with a high volume of work, short rest periods, and moderate to heavy loads using multi-joint exercises. Squats, deadlifts, chin-ups, bench press, lunges, and rows should make up the core of your training. A hypertrophy-type program that generally includes 8 to 12 reps of more than 3 sets is ideal, but can be manipulated for a greater muscle building effect. More sets will accelerate results, but the 8 to 12 rep, 3 set scheme is a good place to start training for fat loss.

Use weights in the 70 to 85 percent of maximum range with short rest periods of 60 seconds or shorter. This will provide a significant anabolic response by elevating testosterone and growth hormone (more on this below). High reps and short rest intervals will make your body a high-powered energy burning machine.

Circuit training and super set schemes are ideal, as are descending sets in which you finish with very high reps (25 reps of squats or 2 minutes of leg presses, for example) for an extra fat burning burst. Supersets with 10 seconds rest when switching from the agonist to the antagonist exercise and 60 seconds between sets is one option. Or a “death circuit” of heavy, high volume deadlifts followed by split squats followed by lighter high volume squats with 10 seconds rest between exercises is another.
  • GODfidence
    GODfidence Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Low reps @ high weight is more for building strength whereas the opposite helps more at building muscle.

How would you build strength without building muscle?
  • FitForLaw
    FitForLaw Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I think its a misconception that low weight, high reps is just about stamina. It also builds strength, maybe not as fast as high weight low reps.

At age 61, I emphasize more the low weight, high reps, and still build strength. Over time, I can still lift more.

But probably need to define what I mean. High weight, low rep, I think of as a weight heavy enough so I can only do up to 10 - 12 reps. Some would say only 6 to 10 reps. Whereas low weight, high rep, I think of as a weight heavy enough that I can do 15 to 20 reps. If I can do more than 20 reps, I increase the weight.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    High weight (~65%+ 1RM) and low reps (1-7) builds strength

Medium weight (~40-60% 1RM) and medium reps (8-12) builds muscle (it's more complex when we get into progressive overload, but this is the general weight/reps needed)

Low weight (<40% 1RM) and high reps (15+) is pretty much pointless. You'll gain some muscle endurance but that's it. You'll still be DYEL and look DYEL. You might as well not even lift.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options

How would you build strength without building muscle?

Muscle build in a strength-oriented approach is generally more compact than muscle mass packed on in a hypertrophic (eg- bodybuilding) program. What he's trying to say (I hope) is that the lower (actually moderate) weight with higher reps is for hypertrophy, aka bulk/mass.
  • FitForLaw
    Options
    This study below shows that low weight/high reps (16 reps) and high weight/low reps (8 reps) were pretty similar in building strength in a study of post-menopausal women.
    http://general.utpb.edu/FAC/eldridge_j/KINE6362/ancillaryfiles/trainingandpostmenopausal.pdf
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    This study below shows that low weight/high reps (16 reps) and high weight/low reps (8 reps) were pretty similar in building strength in a study of post-menopausal women.
    http://general.utpb.edu/FAC/eldridge_j/KINE6362/ancillaryfiles/trainingandpostmenopausal.pdf

From the study:
    HL showed greater improvements in upper body strength (HL 25%, HR 16%).
  • goldstargeek
    goldstargeek Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Im currently reading New Rules of Lifting for Women...its enlightening and I would encourage reading that over me trying to explain it. :) LOL
  • angserino
    angserino Posts: 59
    Options
    Bump to read later
  • FitForLaw
    Options
    Well true that high weight, low reps does seem to build more strength faster. But still build strength at 15 - 20 reps from personal experience. I tend to get injured more easily with the higher weights, so its a trade off. Part of getting older I guess.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    Well true that high weight, low reps does seem to build more strength faster. But still build strength at 15 - 20 reps from personal experience. I tend to get injured more easily with the higher weights, so its a trade off. Part of getting older I guess.
    If you're getting injured then your form is incorrect. Which lifts cause you to injure yourself?
  • Frank_Just_Frank
    Options
    It's not all or none. But low weight at high reps will build muscle more than it will build strength.
  • Frank_Just_Frank
    Options
    Yes that's what I meant, but you said it much better :)
  • FitForLaw
    Options
    No particular exercises cause injury, I just notice it more on the heavy ones. I have had a personal trainer off and on for the last 5 years, so my form is pretty good. I'm not one of these who uses bad form to try to get a heavy weight up. If I can't lift it correctly, I use a lighter weight. If I move up to a heavier weight too fast, I am more likely to get a sore joint.
  • mrdexter1
    mrdexter1 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Heavy load (less reps) will will fire fast twitch fibres earlier stimulating growth..

lighter load lifted and more repetitions on fatigued muscles will induce more growth (pump) through a differing body mechanism ..
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    That's directed at a group of people with a certain condition and doesn't address general population.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition