how many calories should come from carbs/fat/protein?

Options
I just recently discovered the pie chart on the mobile app, and my weekly calorie breakdown is around 52% from carbs, 30% from fat, 18% from protein (it varies slightly from week to week but is always in this range). What should it ideally look like?

Replies

• Johlawrence
    Johlawrence Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I am interested in this too...
  • pzawodzinski
    pzawodzinski Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    It depends by person and what your goals are... for example, my goal is 45-30-25 (C-P-F). I am trying to lose weight while maintaining/building muscle mass.

Ideally I am trying to get to more like 50-30-20.
  • Athena98501
    Athena98501 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I just recently discovered the pie chart on the mobile app, and my weekly calorie breakdown is around 52% from carbs, 30% from fat, 18% from protein (it varies slightly from week to week but is always in this range). What should it ideally look like?

In my opinion, those percentages are fairly good if you were eating at TDEE. At a reduced calorie level, it gets you a little less protein than is ideal for maintaining your lean mass as best you can while losing weight. It would benefit you to raise your protein goal a bit, and ideally take it out of your carbs.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/911011-calculating-calorie-macronutrient-needs?page=1#posts-13821336

Basically, 1g protein per pound of lean tissue, .35g fat per pound of body weight, and either fill the rest of your calories with carbs or more fats and protein. Fat and protein are minimum values.
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    I changed my settings to put me at 40% carbs, 30% protein, and 30% fats. I've heard the MFP is notorious for setting protein goals low. And I already knew that I needed to work on getting more protein. And my doctor told me to be a bit more careful of my carbs. This setting feels very good to me. I still have to think a bit to get my proteins up and my carbs down a bit, but I like the balance a lot. I don't know if there's any 'should' about this, but it seems to be working for me.
  • rdcraner
    rdcraner Posts: 11
    Options
    Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/911011-calculating-calorie-macronutrient-needs?page=1#posts-13821336

Basically, 1g protein per pound of lean tissue, .35g fat per pound of body weight, and either fill the rest of your calories with carbs or more fats and protein. Fat and protein are minimum values.

Pretty much spot on. The key thing here on the protein is "1g protein per pound of lean tissue." Most people read this as "1g protein per pound."

In any event, I have been keeping pretty steady around 40/30/30 carb/protein/fat. I just try to make sure that my macros come from really healthy, clean foods. Turkey, chicken, avacados, nuts, fruits, and veggies. Damn, I wish I liked fish!
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    I run 40/30/30 currently...thinking of tweaking it real soon as I hit my 2nd goal weight.
  • Siver12
    Siver12 Posts: 4
    Options
    Yes I believe you should start at 40 carb 30 pro 30 fat. If you're not losing bodyfat and you're taking in the correct calories than lower the carbs 5% and raise pro 5%.
    You can also do an A and B day. One day cal lower than normally, then B day is a much high cal day.
    Example AABAABA. I use to use that I figure athletes I trained.
  • changing4life
    changing4life Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I've heard 40/30/30 is a good mix. The key is getting carbs from natural sources (if you stay away from starchy carbs and focus on getting carbs from fruits, veggies, beans and dairy). My trouble is getting enough good fats and too many saturated fats....