Running/jogging with bad knees?

Options
I have heard many times that running is bad on your joints but I notice A LOT of runners on here. A few of my friends are also avid runners and they say once you start it can be addicting.

If someone has a bad knee, is it ill advised to try and jog or run?

I popped my knee out of joint once a couple of years back. It was awful, awful pain. I have horrible insurance so the doctor didn't order an MRI though they did X-Rays. Maybe he thought I didn't need one, I don't know. Either way, he diagnosed me with hyper-extended ligaments. Since then my knee seems to pop out randomly. At least 3-4 times a year. Last time it happened I was swimming the pool. I suppose I just kicked my leg wrong or something.

I imagine my weight may have something to do with it too. I am 250 so the stress on the joints is high, I'm sure.

But I digress, is running or jogging advisable? I'd like to eventually work my way up to Disney 5ks which have strict time limits and I don't think I'd be able to walk them. If I can't ever do it, so be it. I will admit that I am scared my knee will give while I am jogging. The doctor says surgery isn't really something I should worry about unless it is happening like once a week (omg the pain).

Has anyone experienced this? Or begun running in spite of joint issues?

Replies

• mammakat0830
    mammakat0830 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I would love to know an answer to this too. I really would love to try to become a runner but have a bad knee. I do elliptical training and even that causes some pain :( I will work through the pain if anyone thinks the pain would subside with use... I'm grasping at straws here but really would like to do this.
  • annahlotr
    annahlotr Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    It really depends on the individual and specific knee injury, but running isn't advisable until you've been cleared by a doctor and a physical therapist.

I have a completely screwed up knee. The first time I injured it, I was told that I could run if it were something I really loved, but that if I didn't truly love it running wasn't worth it, because I would tear my knee up much faster. After this last injury, there is no question. I can't run.

I've also been told that every pound of weight puts multiple pounds of stress on my knee, or something like that. I know that even weighing an extra 5lbs makes my knee function go down dramatically.

You need to get specifics about whether running is ok from a doctor, or more likely a physical therapist (a good one). Is the surgery he's talking about for dislocations a patella realignment? I've had one (the first time I injured my right knee- repeated dislocations). It was a rough surgery, and the surgeon did a good job, but the results haven't been outstanding. I swore I would never do it with my left knee, and ten years of dislocations in my left knee haven't changed my mind.

Since your knee seems to function ok most of the time, unless your doctor states otherwise you'll probably be able to run or jog eventually, but if I were you I would do a lot of walking and try to get my weight down before starting to run.
  • rdcraner
    rdcraner Posts: 11
    Options
    I used bad knees as a crutch for the longest time as a reason to not run. I'm not saying everyone does this or even lots of people. It's very important to make sure you have medical clearance before you begin any kind of regiment that will stress your body. That being said, my muscle and knee endurance has improved immensely over the past 5 months. They key is to push yourself just outside of your comfort zone, know your limits, and go just slightly beyond them and work towards your goals. If you want to be able to run a mile, start out with jog/walk intervals, work up to run/walk intervals, then run/jog intervals, and finally, run your mile. Then increase your distance!
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options
    But I digress, is running or jogging advisable? I'd like to eventually work my way up to Disney 5ks which have strict time limits and I don't think I'd be able to walk them. If I can't ever do it, so be it. I will admit that I am scared my knee will give while I am jogging. The doctor says surgery isn't really something I should worry about unless it is happening like once a week (omg the pain).

Has anyone experienced this? Or begun running in spite of joint issues?

I have patellar subluxation, which sounds similar to what you have. Essentially, my kneecaps don't sit right (I can move them around) and will sometimes dislocate on a whim. I've also had them kicked and otherwise pushed out of place to the point where each has been stuck on the side of my leg at least once. Pretty gross. They mess up everything around the knee which means crutches, immobilizers, and a lot of physical therapy every time. From what I have read and been told, with most people, a bad dislocation only happens once in their lifetime. Unfortunately I fall into the "chronic" category. Go me! But yeah, it is definitely indescribable pain, and I've had multiple physical therapists/orthopedic surgeons tell me it's one of the most painful chronic knee injuries out there.

That said, I do run, though I run verrrrrry slowly. I have learned to listen to my knees and know how and when to push myself without hurting myself. Definitely ask your doctor what he/she thinks, and if they say, "well, just be careful" then I'd invest in a stabilizer or two and give it a go. This is what I wear on both knees: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009ZD558/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true

ETA: I've had this since I was 16, so I've had a long time to sit and cry and feel sorry for myself about it, and also to learn what I can and cannot do
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Everybody is different.

When I got diagnosed with a joint disease(RA) many moons ago...my doctor told me that I wouldn't be able to run again not alone to walk without a cane since I can't take meds to combat the disease.

I am probably the most active person I know, I'm usually mistaken for near half my age. I run every day. Sometimes back to back days half marathons, I've played catcher for baseball for 5-6 years, played semi pro football for into my early thirties. Hockey every week, tennis every other day in the summer, bike ride like crazy.

I might be the exception in most cases, but all my doctors have stopped telling me that I can't & now just laugh and ask what new things I can do.

The biggest thing if you ARE able to run is to take it very slow and don't try to do what you think is normal. Repeat~take it very slow, have "PROPER" running shoes fitted for you personally, and use proper form.
  • beyondjupiter
    beyondjupiter Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    You need to get specifics about whether running is ok from a doctor, or more likely a physical therapist (a good one). Is the surgery he's talking about for dislocations a patella realignment? I've had one (the first time I injured my right knee- repeated dislocations). It was a rough surgery, and the surgeon did a good job, but the results haven't been outstanding. I swore I would never do it with my left knee, and ten years of dislocations in my left knee haven't changed my mind.

My regular doctor can't really give me much information on my knee itself. I can try to go to another orthopedic doctor and see what they say. However, I'm not sure if I could get seen with my insurance since I don't have an acute injury at this time. At this point I don't go to the doctor at all when it pops out (and by popping out I mean my knee cap seems to dislocate. I can see it move away from where it is supposed to be and move back when I straighten my leg out. However, if I bend it again shortly after injury it will dislocate again).

They surgery he suggested was going in and trimming my ligaments. Basically making a tighter fit since they are too loose. I am not sure how you tell all that by just feeling it and not doing an MRI but I suppose I didn't go to 8 years of medical school either :tongue:

Jen
  • bregalad5
    Options
    They surgery he suggested was going in and trimming my ligaments. Basically making a tighter fit since they are too loose. I am not sure how you tell all that by just feeling it and not doing an MRI but I suppose I didn't go to 8 years of medical school either :tongue:

It's based on the "injury". If I elected to go for surgery, I'd basically have a choice between that or a full knee replacement.
  • dmchiz
    dmchiz Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I started working out a year ago (several months after surgery for a torn meniscus) and I was plenty overweight and out of shape. I can also tell you that I have "Bad Knees" in that both have very little cartilage left due to a degenerative condition and an active lifestyle.... that being said. I literally had to wear support braces on both knees every day I worked out, then went home and iced them for an hour, and lived on alieve. This was with my doctor's support and he told me to keep working through the pain and he was right. As I lost weight and gained muscle, the knees got better. (due to strengthening the muscle groups that surround and hold the tendons and ligaments in place) Also the earlier post is correct - for every 1 pound of extra weight/fat you are carrying, it puts a whopping 10 pounds of pressure on your knees!!!
    All that being said, I believe you deffinately could start working out, but I think you need to get cleared by your doctor and if you have re-injured it swimming (which is generally THE exercise suggested for people with bad kneees/joints/ low impact etc) then I dont think running will be a viable goal for you without surgery to correct the problems described.... Good luck on your journey!
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    I have awful knees. I've had a degenerative form of arthritis in my knees and back since I was very young (knees starting in elementary school, spine in high school), despite being at a pretty healthy weight/only very slightly overweight until I had my kids in the last 3-4 years. More often than not, I can't even stand up out of a chair without leaning on something and pausing to catch my breath due to pain. Only cure for me is joint replacement, which I'm not willing to undergo at my age.

I've just accepted the fact that I will never be a runner. It's just not in the cards for me. There are SO many other ways to be active that are more knee-friendly. I walk, I do a trampoline aerobics class, I use the elliptical. I would bike if I had any balance, lol. I roller skate. I swim whenever I can. I strength train like crazy. I feel like I more than satisfy my exercise needs and I'm in FAR less pain than the few times I've attempted to run/jog. I know that running can be an amazing thing, but you have to put your overall health first. If you feel that the benefits of running will outweigh the potential risks, then start slow and listen to your body and give it a go. If you believe that running will hurt your body more than it can help it (compared to other forms of exercise), then find something else you love to do and do it.
  • beyondjupiter
    Options
    I have patellar subluxation, which sounds similar to what you have. Essentially, my kneecaps don't sit right (I can move them around) and will sometimes dislocate on a whim.

Yes!! This sounds exactly like mine. And oh my gosh, the pain. When it happens I immediately feel nausiated, break out in a cold sweat, get dizzy, etc. It is like my body is going into shock or something.

Thank you for the brace suggestion! Right now I have just a stretchy pull over my knee kind of brace. No straps or supports on the side. It has a hole where the patella is. I usually wear it when my knee "acts up". I don't know if you get this but sometimes my knee will randomly fill with liquid (I guess swell up) and my knee cap just feels unstable like it is going to go. So I put the knee brace on for the day as a preventative and usually by morning it is better. The one you have though looks way more stable!
    Repeat~take it very slow, have "PROPER" running shoes fitted for you personally, and use proper form.

Thank you!! I guess I need to look up proper form then. I am not really sure what it is. I have a good pair of new balance shoes that I walk in but I suppose I should save up the money for a custom pair before I delve in.
    and if you have re-injured it swimming (which is generally THE exercise suggested for people with bad kneees/joints/ low impact etc) then I dont think running will be a viable goal for you without surgery to correct the problems described.... Good luck on your journey!

Thank you! I know I was in the pool freaking the hell out. Besides the pain (which was less in water, I might add) I was just angry. I was like "this is like the lowest impact exercise ever!?! What the hell!?!" I am hoping once I take more weight off and build my muscles as you suggested. I won't have as hard of a time.

For what it is worth I don't use this as an excuse. I walk, lift weights, ride a bike, use the elliptical, etc. I'd just like to be able to at least jog, jump rope, doing jumping jacks.. etc.

Jen
  • beyondjupiter
    Options
    If you believe that running will hurt your body more than it can help it (compared to other forms of exercise), then find something else you love to do and do it.

Thank you for this. It is great advice. I am just scared. I don't want to make it worse and I don't want to go through the pain again. I think you are right though. Maybe I should just stick with what works for now and is not causing injury.

Jen
  • brendaschmitt1
    Options
    I recommended walking instead of running. It you have a history of a bad knee don't do it. Maybe once you lose a little more weight you can jog and walk. Just do what you can though. Do not overdo it. Build the muscles around your legs and knee so it prevents any ligament damage. I was a runner for many years . I got tendonitis on my knees from the pounding on the floor. Now I just do weights, swimming, elliptical, zumba, biking, walking. There are so many things you can do instead of running.
  • bregalad5
    Options
    I have patellar subluxation, which sounds similar to what you have. Essentially, my kneecaps don't sit right (I can move them around) and will sometimes dislocate on a whim.

Yes!! This sounds exactly like mine. And oh my gosh, the pain. When it happens I immediately feel nausiated, break out in a cold sweat, get dizzy, etc. It is like my body is going into shock or something.

Thank you for the brace suggestion! Right now I have just a stretchy pull over my knee kind of brace. No straps or supports on the side. It has a hole where the patella is. I usually wear it when my knee "acts up". I don't know if you get this but sometimes my knee will randomly fill with liquid (I guess swell up) and my knee cap just feels unstable like it is going to go. So I put the knee brace on for the day as a preventative and usually by morning it is better. The one you have though looks way more stable!

Mine will occasionally swell a tad, but after a major dislocation they swell with blood :sick: I totally know what you mean, though! Definitely invest in something more stable. What you DON'T want to do is wear your brace all the time. Think of it this way: you want to train your quads and hamstrings to help support your patella. If you wear your brace all the time, your brace is the thing supporting it, not your muscles - just like having your arm in a cast. Because I've been in braces so much, I have some atrophy in my quads and they function at a much lower level than they should. So, only wear your brace when working out or if you really need it! :)
  • paulperryman
    paulperryman Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    I too have bad joints in general (my knees pop making it impossible to squat or kneel for more then a minute) and my wrists give out randomly so i feel your pain, also my knees bend inwards towards the opposing knee which comes from a bad frame from birth (twisted spine and hips) and add to that years of being obese doesn't help the situation, my advice as was the advice of my doctor is to do small amounts unless it really hurts, you can tell the difference between just painfull from not being used to it and this is not good

I do short stints a few times a session. 1minute on 30seconds to 1 minute off which is enough to get the heart rate up and work the legs while not enough to cripple me for the rest of the day, but ultimately its not a good idea to persist with something if it's doing more harm then good for instance if one of your legs is shorter then the other Jogging is gonna make it worse putting more stress on your joints, hell even walking is bad in that case you may need altering footwear or surgery.

Best to see a sports physio to get a better idea of what you are dealing with. Doctor's are usually just General Practitioners and first call, they may know alot but usually it's just small amounts of everything but nothing in particular.
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Have you considered water aerobics? It is really really low impact and a pretty decent work out.
  • beyondjupiter
    Options
    Thank you all for your advice!
    Have you considered water aerobics? It is really really low impact and a pretty decent work out.

I would LOVE to do swimming as an exercise but I have no access to a pool :( I'd love to get a membership to our local gym but it's $120 for the year, which isn't bad at all, but I just don't have that much money at one time to throw at it. I could do monthly but the monthly gyms here don't have a pool. The local YMCA is like 25 miles away one way, so I don't think I can swing that either. Bleh. Maybe if I get some extra hours at work I could swing for a membership.

Jen
  • annahlotr
    Options

My regular doctor can't really give me much information on my knee itself. I can try to go to another orthopedic doctor and see what they say. However, I'm not sure if I could get seen with my insurance since I don't have an acute injury at this time. At this point I don't go to the doctor at all when it pops out (and by popping out I mean my knee cap seems to dislocate. I can see it move away from where it is supposed to be and move back when I straighten my leg out. However, if I bend it again shortly after injury it will dislocate again).

Jen

That type of surgery is a mess. It's a reconstruction, so you're probably looking at about three months initial recovery and a year to full recovery if there are no complications. There is no way I would let them do that without an MRI, and your knee doesn't sound bad enough to take the risk.

I don't go to a doctor when my knee pops out either. Some doctors call it a dislocation, some a subluxation (means not completely dislocated), but it sucks either way.

Braces can help, but they can also make your joint weaker. For example, wearing one while doing an activity that frequently causes your knee to pop out helps prevent recurring injury. Wearing one all the time weakens all the supporting muscles and makes you more likely to be injured. So it's a catch 22.

I'm not a doctor or physical therapist, and you really need to get cleared with them. That said, it sounds like you really want to run, so it might be worth the risk for you IF you train properly to do that. That starts with walking a lot to start strengthening it and taking everything very slowly. If it hurts in a bad way (I'm guessing you know what I mean- the hurt that means you're getting injured, not the soreness from exercise) you need to stop and backtrack. After you've built up to quite a bit of walking (I'm sure others can help you with the amount), start alternating jogging with walking, and eventually progressing to running. Definitely wear good shoes- go to a running store where they analyze your gait. Shoes that compensate for your weaknesses help prevent injury. And like I said earlier, you might think about working on walking now and not progressing to running untl you've lost some weight. You already have knee issues, and extra weight stresses them more. Running just compounds that. But if you do lots of walking now, you'll be in much better shape if you decide to try running once you've lost some of that weight.

Don't forget to think in the long term. If you push too hard now, you may cause an injury that causes problems for years. If you take things slowly, you're more likely to be able to do activities that help keep you strong for years to come.

And if you give it your best shot and running causes your knee to have more problems, there are many other activities and exercises that you can do instead. Bad knees don't mean you can't be active.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Broken knee, bad other knee from it as well. Bad hips, bad feet, bad ankles........ I still run 10km a day. But then my knee does not pop out like that. It just pinches.

It's only bad if you land bad. Other than that.... got for it. People always pull the "it's bad for your joints" when they are lazy & don't want to do it or anyone else to either.
  • annahlotr
    Options
    Broken knee, bad other knee from it as well. Bad hips, bad feet, bad ankles........ I still run 10km a day.

It's only bad if you land bad. Other than that.... got for it. People always pull the "it's bad for your joints" when they are lazy & don't want to do it or anyone else to either.

I really think this depends on the person and the injury.

My knee and ankle both bruise and swell when I do anything with high impact. I definitely don't take that to mean I can't be active. I'm in the gym four or five times a week (strength training, arc trainer, swimming, and classes in the pool), and do some type of exercise every day. My personal limits are that I can't run, and I can't jog. That's just the way it is.

Running isn't always bad for your joints (even injured ones), and it can be good for them. But if you have known joint issues, it is always a good idea to have a good physical therapist's input on how to build up to running. Pushing too hard too fast can cause pointless injury, and a good physical therapist can help you figure out how much you can do when. (Note the "good" physical therapist. I've had some that sucked, and I've had some that have made my life a lot easier).
  • beyondjupiter
    Options
    Thank you again for the help. I am going to continue walking for now and see if I can find some specific strength training exercises for my knee.

I looked up the pace requirements for the Disney runs and it is a 15 minute mile requirement. I have honestly never calculated how fast I can walk a mile. Maybe it is possible to power walk a 15 minute mile?

Jen