HELP!!!!!!!!What do you use after workout for sore muscles?

Options
When I work out really hard which is generally everyday, I feel horribly stiff and achy the next day and the day after... Sometimes I am even sore 3-4 days later. Any advice on what to do? Thanks in advance! HELP!!!!!!!!

Replies

• Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    Stretch? Foam roller? I honestly bask in ny greatest every time I get sore and wish it would happen more often.
  • matt2442
    matt2442 Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    work out more so your muscles get used to it

also, a foam roller is your bestfriend
  • alison590
    alison590 Posts: 61
    Options
    I find that Epsom salt baths work well. You can buy nice scented ones at Wal Mart
  • fitnessfreddie
    fitnessfreddie Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Take in a lot of.protein to help rebuild the muscle. Also as soon as you're done working out you should be stretching for a good 5-10 minutes at least. Stay hydrated.
  • Justjamie0418
    Justjamie0418 Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    Increase your protein as well :)

I embrace my DOMS, I really do, If I wake up and dont have them... I am worried I didnt do enough. I know they are not indicitive as to how well you may or may not have worked out.. but I like to think I DO get them because I put forth my 100%.
  • mrydavis
    mrydavis Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Work out again! And heating pads if it's really bad. Or hot tub. Or a bubble bath :) Stretching also helps a lot.
  • craigmandu
    craigmandu Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    I use to take a tennis ball and roll it over the bad areas applying pressure....same principle as using a roller...
  • wahelga
    wahelga Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Stretch and cool down after a work out, soak in a warm bath with some epsom salts, try magnesium tablets, good massage every week if you can afford it (otherwise enrol partner in a massage course LOL)
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options
    Hot baths, bengay, stretching, light exercise.

Although I love my DOMS. It makes me feel badass.
  • throttle2009
    throttle2009 Posts: 138
    Options
    Try a BCAA supplement. You mix it with water and drink it during and after your workout. Works wonders to repair sore muscles so you can go workout again without much pain.
  • iulia_maddie
    iulia_maddie Posts: 2,780 Member
    Options
    I use a man. Massages help out with my DOMS.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    DOMS may indicate that you aren't properly warming up or cooling down and stretching. If you aren't doing those things, you could risk injury, Take the time to do it right. I rarely encounter significant soreness after my workouts, even though they are pretty strenuous. Here are a few tips.

1. Do a good dynamic warm up before you start working out. I warm up with jump roping, body weight lunges and squats, jumping jacks, and some pushups.

2. Do your workout.

3. COOL DOWN AND STRETCH. I walk 5-15 minutes at around 2.2 miles per hour after my lifting sessions, until I can feel my body relaxing. This keeps your muscles from stiffening up as much.

4. Make sure you're hydrated and proteined. Get at least 1 gm protein per lb of LBM. if you don't know what that is, google a Lean Body Mass calculator & figure that ish out.

5. Use a foam roller. Mine isn't foam, it's a four-inch PVC pipe length about three feet long and it is made out of miracles.
  • JustMajor
    JustMajor Posts: 17
    Options
    Thanks so much... I think I am not warming up... I do stretch.
  • JustMajor
    JustMajor Posts: 17
    Options
    ill try that.
  • Viva81Diva
    Viva81Diva Posts: 148
    Options
    Stretch more. Eat more protein (especially right after the workout), drink more water, and eat cherries. That's what I do, and I rarely have soreness, even when exercising again after days/weeks of being sedentary.
  • trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    wine: :p

er i mean a hot spa and stretching....
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Stretching helps. I take tylenol and ibuprofen. Also, on leg day, I usually hop on the elliptical for about 5 mins after, which seems to help soreness. I haven't figured out an equivelant for arms.
  • trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    Stretching helps. I take tylenol and ibuprofen. Also, on leg day, I usually hop on the elliptical for about 5 mins after, which seems to help soreness. I haven't figured out an equivelant for arms.

i always do arm stretches as well (netball coach, force of habiit) and i find that the netball ones work amazing for the gym because they target shoulders, biceps and triceps, so maybe try googling netball stretches?

i do find that the elliptical, lightly, or swinging my arms in circles helps post-hard arm workout though.
  • TheEffort
    TheEffort Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    Stretching after each workout helps me; you can also try supplements such as Creatine to help with the recovery.

8488541.png
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Time.

Generally sore muscles (not tendons) are sore because you had a good workout, and then they need time to repair.

Exercise tears down, it's the rest, recovery, and repair that actually allows building stronger, with proper nutrition.

If you don't allow it, you are wasting some or all of your workout basically, just burning calories.

But usually people exercise because they want to see body improvement from the exercise.

Get the most out of your time and effort from your workouts, let your body improve from them. Otherwise you'll just end up spinning your wheels.