Just to make sure I'm doing it right....1200 cals

Options
Hi there,

I'm new to all this fitness stuff and I've tried reading up on the forums and I'm worrying myself more than helping because of things like starvation mode or metabolic damage etc! So I was hoping you guys could take a look at my stats and let me know if you think I'm on the right track or not!

Female
4ft 11"
26 years old
Starting weight 8st 8.
Very sedate in terms of activity
Excerise:30 mins of Pilates 3x a week (Mari Windsor, band, circle, accelerated)

Goal weight 7st in 9 months.

MFP calories recommend : 1200.

Bonus info (not that I know what it means exactly!?!)
TDEE-1607
BMR-1339

Do you guys think this is enough calories?

Your help is much appreciated!

Replies

• HeidiHoMom
    HeidiHoMom Posts: 1,393 Member
    Options
    I would go with at least 1500 personally.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    You don't have a lot to lose, so your goal should be about 0.5lb - 1lb a week loss. I'd think you would probably need to eat closer to 1400 calories. Have you tried figuring out your BMR?
  • farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    If that is what MFP gave then that is fine, 1200 is the minimum it gives BTW

You may find you will need to be a bit more creative with meals, avoiding a lot of processed stuff due to high calories, but I am on not much more [1250] also mainly sedentary, but walk, just shops & back, not over moors or Downs

I find with plenty of fresh veg & fruit, including salads, I am mostly not hungry, sometimes I am though so perhaps a Ryvita or such like
  • Horrorphoto
    Options
    Thanks for the quick reply guys. Just added the TDEE and BMR info in the original post- does that change anything?
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

I'm new to all this fitness stuff and I've tried reading up on the forums and I'm worrying myself more than helping because of things like starvation mode or metabolic damage etc! So I was hoping you guys could take a look at my stats and let me know if you think I'm on the right track or not!

Female
    4ft 11"
    26 years old
    Starting weight 8st 8.
    Very sedate in terms of activity
    Excerise:30 mins of Pilates 3x a week (Mari Windsor, band, circle, accelerated)

Goal weight 7st in 9 months.

MFP calories recommend : 1200.

Bonus info (not that I know what it means exactly!?!)
    TDEE-1607
    BMR-1339

Do you guys think this is enough calories?

Your help is much appreciated!

What did you select as a weight loss per week goal on MFP? With so little to lose it should be .5 lbs a week, no more than 1 lb a week.
    Don't forget that MFP expects you to log those exercise calories and eat them back, which would put you over 1200 calories.

Or you can do a modest deficit off of your TDEE, subtract 10-15% which would put you just over your BMR.

ETA - what activity level did you choose for TDEE?
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    So you should try to eat around 1339, but below your TDEE of 1607. How you go about this though is completely up to you.

I eat at my BMR + exercise (1695 + exercise <-my numbers), but if you factored in your exercise into your TDEE, you could do TDEE - 10% and ignore exercise calories all together. Which for you would be around 1446 calories.
  • Horrorphoto
    Options
    [/quote]

[/quote]

The very lowest of activity levels
  • durshley
    durshley Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I put your info in here and it gives a TDEE of 1824 using light exercise
    http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html

Or I guess if you use the sedentary TDEE of 1591 you should be eating back most/all of your exercise calories.

Either way, TDEE-20% is 1429 including exercise or 1272 PLUS eating back your exercise calories. That'll still give you a decent deficit.
  • Horrorphoto
    Options
    The funny thing is. I haven't changed my diet dramatically. I eat quite well as I like to cook so I make most things from scratch had don't really consume a lot of processed food. The only thing I 've really cut out of my diet to get to 1200 is the daily bag of low fat crisps (around 99 cals), a chocolate biscuit which is 99 cals and a gin and tonic once or twice a week. So I wasn't really eating loads to start with.....
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

You are not sedentary, you exercise 3 times a week. I believe that would be the lightly active option (1-3 times a week).
  • nvpixie
    nvpixie Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I'm 38 years old, 4'11", 111 lbs and my daily calorie goal is around 1600.

I have a desk job 3 days a week and I'm not overly active at home the other 4 days (regular housecleaning, laundry, etc).

I do yoga and some strength exercises a few times a week, and I take the kids on walks or bike rides. I also do gardening. Any time I do something out of the norm, I log it as exercise and I don't always eat those calories back.

I'm losing weight eating between 1200 and 1700 a day. I zig zag my calories (not on purpose, I'm just naturally more hungry some days--alcohol is also factored in). Sometimes I even go above 1700 and it's all good.

Don't starve yourself. 1200 is probably way too low for every single day, but some days it's going to be fine if you're not hungry enough to eat more.
  • Horrorphoto
    Options

You are not sedentary, you exercise 3 times a week. I believe that would be the lightly active option (1-3 times a week).

It is Pilates so my heart rate isn't far from my at rest rate also I'm sure my partner would agree, I spend the majority of my life sat or laying down! Coincidently Pilates fits quite nicely into this!
  • Horrorphoto
    Options
    So I think most people think I should be eating more?
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
  • originalcookiemonster
    Options

That is correct. Look up the link IN PLACE OF A ROAD MAP 3.0. Its a very helpful link that will help you understand what number you need and why.

My suggestion is eat a very small deficit off your TDEE (like maybe 10%) and see how your body responds. Like a friend of mine always says, "why would you want to put the bare minimum gasoline in your car and expect the best results?" Good luck on your journey!
  • farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options

I don't, if you are happy & comfortable with what you are eating why change it to conform to a consensus?
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options

That is correct. Look up the link IN PLACE OF A ROAD MAP 3.0. Its a very helpful link that will help you understand what number you need and why.

My suggestion is eat a very small deficit off your TDEE (like maybe 10%) and see how your body responds. Like a friend of mine always says, "why would you want to put the bare minimum gasoline in your car and expect the best results?" Good luck on your journey!

IN PLACE OF A ROAD MAP 3.0 is gone. Use this.. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/974598-the-basics
  • longtimeterp
    longtimeterp Posts: 614 Member
    Options
  • TigerPawsSC
    TigerPawsSC Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Typically horrible advice given here.

Your margins are going to be exceptionally small. And you are dealing with rough estimates of your TDEE. These calculators cannot and do not account for everything though they are pretty accurate. But when someone tells you to eat within 100-200 calories of your TDEE, be very skeptical.

This is because there is significant difficulty in getting your eating right down to the calorie. And if you eat just a bit over without realizing it and your calculated TDEE Is off by a small amount, then you aren't going to lose.

Give yourself some room. Don't buy the hype about starvation mode or the like. As a small person, with a small total daily energy expenditure, you are not going to see flashing red lights if you dip below that magic 1200 number. This is not to say that you should stop eating. It's just to say that any people who tell you to eat at such close proximity to your TDEE are ignoring human and system error, and they are setting you up for failure. In a controlled environment with perfect data, they may be correct. But that is not the system in which you will operate.
  • mamosh81
    mamosh81 Posts: 409 Member
    Options

I don't, if you are happy & comfortable with what you are eating why change it to conform to a consensus?

i am with this try what works for you every person is different if you are full and happy with 1200 stick with it if you feel hungry up it in 100 cal steps to 1300 and so on and dont cut out foods that leads to gravings, use a food scale it really helps, and if you want your drink or a treat just work it off =)
    I usually eat between 1200-1500 a day sometimes 1800 (really rare) i feel fine i am not hungry and i am a lot bigger then you double the size or so and been doing it for almost 4 months you need to find something that you are able to do for the rest of your life