Rockband calorie burn?

Options
I don't know how many of my MFP pals out there play Rockband but I was just thinking about something. Friday nights my friends typically come over and we rock out for several hours. By several hours I mean we start around 6pm and go until at least midnight and sometimes up to 3am. I play the drums on expert mode and am usually soaking wet with sweat by the time we are done. Even when I switch up to a guitar I'm still dancing around and keep the sweat a coming. I get very into it, probably because I am a real musician, and it's extremely fun. It is a great workout and more fun than any other convential method I've tried. My main question is, does anyone know if there is a way to try and calculate the calories I'm burning while playing?

Replies

• recipe4success
    recipe4success Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    do you have a heart rate monitor?
  • maepis
    maepis Posts: 51
    Options
    do you have a heart rate monitor?

No. Is that something that would help me know? I wouldn't even know where to get one. Possibly Wal-Mart?
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I ordered mine from Amazon, Polar F6. The ones that work best have a chest strap to take your heart rate. There are a lot of posts on here with suggestions for which ones to buy. The one I got was $80. Worth every penny though, I use it every time I work out. I even use it to track how many calories I burn shopping :D You could definitely use it for Rock Band.

Side note: Rock Band Beatles is my personal favorite. I can't do the drums very well but I'm up to Hard on the guitar and bass. I'm not allowed to sing... lollll
  • shell1205
    shell1205 Posts: 138
    Options
    Funny, I was just thinking about this today... I haven't played Rock Band in forever!! I think I will test it out with my HRM and see if I burn anything!!

I got a HRM watch at Wal-mart for about $40... It was what I could afford at the time. I want a better one (A Polar), but this one will suffice in the meantime. If you get one there, just make sure it has a calorie burn meter on it!!
  • maepis
    Options
    I ordered mine from Amazon, Polar F6. The ones that work best have a chest strap to take your heart rate. There are a lot of posts on here with suggestions for which ones to buy. The one I got was $80. Worth every penny though, I use it every time I work out. I even use it to track how many calories I burn shopping :D You could definitely use it for Rock Band.

Thanks for the info. I'll definitely look into it.
    Side note: Rock Band Beatles is my personal favorite. I can't do the drums very well but I'm up to Hard on the guitar and bass. I'm not allowed to sing... lollll

I like the Beatles Rockband too, it just gets kinda boring after a little bit. I have all the RB expansions with the exception of the new Green Day one and have wasted countless amounts of money downloading songs for it. Yes, I'm totally addicted. I love music. It's my one burning passion. If we do AC\DC then I'm forced to sing because noone else likes to try and sing it. I can't sing any better than a howling banshee but it's fun to try. LMAO. Noone else does the drums either because they say it's too hard. It just comes naturally to me.
  • maepis
    Options
    Funny, I was just thinking about this today... I haven't played Rock Band in forever!! I think I will test it out with my HRM and see if I burn anything!!

I got a HRM watch at Wal-mart for about $40... It was what I could afford at the time. I want a better one (A Polar), but this one will suffice in the meantime. If you get one there, just make sure it has a calorie burn meter on it!!

That's probably more along the lines of my budget at the moment. It would probably be good to start with for me then I can upgrade later when the money is a little better. Thanks for the information.
  • Panda86
    Panda86 Posts: 873
    Options
    There is an option for "Music playing, Drums" in the exercise database..... maybe that would be close?
  • maepis
    Options
    There is an option for "Music playing, Drums" in the exercise database..... maybe that would be close?

I didn't know that. Interesting. I wonder how many variables it takes into account. Like how many beats per minute or song length. I'll check into it. Thank you.