Problems with late night cravings

Options
I started MFP 10 days ago and have done fairly well staying below my targets. However, the last few days I have had severe cravings late at night, and am wondering how do deal with these. I tend to leave about 200 or so calories open for these cravings, but always end up eating salty fatty foods, totaly throwing my day off. Does anybody know how to avoid these, or the best way to handle them?

Replies

• succeedin2
    succeedin2 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Almost every night I have non fat and sugar free yogurt ice cream or orange sherbert the small cups they sell in the 8 or 10 pack. If your snacks are low in fat or calories that should be ok I think also drink a few glasses a water and try someone with a lot of substance like a large green or red apple that should fill you up.
  • Flippy44
    Flippy44 Posts: 77
    Options
    To be honest - I give in to them. But I try to do it in VERY small doses. (i.e. ONE double stuff Oreo - not a whole row. Or a few tootsie rolls - not the whole bag) Then I chase it with a full glass of water.
  • caldwellchris
    Options
    I budget my calories and nutrients for a spoonful of peanut butter before I go to bed. This satisfies my late night cravings and prevents me from getting up out of bed and snacking! :blushing:

Good luck!
  • JensLogin
    JensLogin Posts: 74
    Options
    I can completely relate to this. I try to do about the same thing that the other posters noted. Save a few calories to have a snack, eat a 60 calorie pudding for a sweeter treat, or an apple with lowfat carmel. I still struggle to want to stop eating. I think I've come up with the fact I need to find a hobby to occupy my mind, so I'm not thinking about food. Watching TV does NOT help me get my mind off eating, so I have to do something else.

I'm looking forward to other posts!
  • whalertly
    whalertly Posts: 65
    Options
    Almost every night I have non fat and sugar free yogurt ice cream or orange sherbert the small cups they sell in the 8 or 10 pack. If your snacks are low in fat or calories that should be ok I think also drink a few glasses a water and try someone with a lot of substance like a large green or red apple that should fill you up.

The biggest problem is probably that i have salads for dinner, which destroys any long-term hunger-quencher
    what companies sell those things (never heard of em), i will try them out myself. As for water and fruit, good idea, but that never satasfies
  • whalertly
    Options
    I can completely relate to this. I try to do about the same thing that the other posters noted. Save a few calories to have a snack, eat a 60 calorie pudding for a sweeter treat, or an apple with lowfat carmel. I still struggle to want to stop eating. I think I've come up with the fact I need to find a hobby to occupy my mind, so I'm not thinking about food. Watching TV does NOT help me get my mind off eating, so I have to do something else.

I'm looking forward to other posts!

that could be one of my problems, gaming or tv only makes me hungrier (with lots of taco bell ads)
  • whalertly
    Options
    I budget my calories and nutrients for a spoonful of peanut butter before I go to bed. This satisfies my late night cravings and prevents me from getting up out of bed and snacking! :blushing:

Good luck!

PB sounds like a great idea, hits the savory, fatty node perfectly
    maybe a PB apple
  • rna2007
    rna2007 Posts: 9
    Options

Good luck!

maybe a PB apple

Yumm...a PB apple. Sounds like a great plan. I have a problem with staying up until 2 and 3 in the morning, and around midnight or so, I get late night cravings really bad. I try my best not to eat before I go to bed, so this just leaves me a bit hungary. I always try to set limits, like "I wont eat anything after 8 or 9*, however it never really seems to work.
  • labreemike
    labreemike Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    nothing good ever happens attwo or three in the morning thats why i go to bed after a sucessful day but tonight i cant sleep
  • sbear867
    sbear867 Posts: 249 Member
    Options

Good luck!

maybe a PB apple

Yumm...a PB apple. Sounds like a great plan. I have a problem with staying up until 2 and 3 in the morning, and around midnight or so, I get late night cravings really bad. I try my best not to eat before I go to bed, so this just leaves me a bit hungary. I always try to set limits, like "I wont eat anything after 8 or 9*, however it never really seems to work.

GO with the PB apple when a craving hits...it doesnt get any better!
  • labreemike
    Options
    i walk the dog then have a sugar free jello right before bed seems to be working
  • rna2007
    rna2007 Posts: 9
    Options
    nothing good ever happens attwo or three in the morning thats why i go to bed after a sucessful day but tonight i cant sleep

Yes, I do know this too well. I am a major insomniac, seems as though I never sleep when I should be sleeping. At one point it got better and then, about a week ago, it resurfaced again.
  • abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Normally I sleep like a stone. Tonight, however, I'm watching the time tick by. I've still got 500 calories from the day, but no protein, no sodium, no A or C, and I'm over on sugars, fiber and protein.... which leaves me with very little that I can eat to fill the void. Plus, I really am not losing weight, so I don't want to add calories to today.

Crabby, crabby, petulant face.
  • labreemike
    Options
    drink some water
  • abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    drink some water

Well, the chuckles have replaced the petulant face. I think the major uptick in water consumption is why I'm still up....More water can't hurt, since I'm making the trek anyway...

Thank you..... and it'll get better, I'm pretty sure...
  • whalertly
    Options
    I have the biggest problems going to sleep too, which might contribute to it