Treats...such an anti-climax!

Options
I really wish I didn't have crisps (chips) in the house, I had a pack to 'treat' myself before my run just now...they weren't even that great, you don't get many in a pack, and after not having any for weeks and weeks, what was meant to be a nice treat for me doing so well, turned into something I'm really wishing I hadn't bothered with. Not worth the fat and gave me a stitch 1mile in to my run that I couldn't shake.
On the up side, I'm guessing this has happened because of my lifestyle change, I'm just not a 'crip eater' anymore haha!

Has anyone else found this with any food they would have considered a food to 'treat' themselves with?

V x

Replies

• jbruced
    jbruced Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I liked to have a small sundae from Baskin-Robbins once in a while. The last one I had just didn't agree with me. Kind of felt a little queasy after eating it. Haven't had one since then.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I love brownies but the last one I had was disgustingly sweet to me. I only took a couple of bites and threw the rest out. I only have brownies when I bake them now.
  • hfester
    hfester Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I am losing the taste for some things. Really, though, I'm gaining such appreciation for GOOD foods (meaning foods that taste friggin amazing) that when I have my "cheat days," I'm not willing to just eat whatever crap is lying around. I am craving steaks, yummy cheeses, really great wine, etc. It's like I've gotten used to eating high quality food and when I can indulge, I only want the richest high quality food.

Also, if you want chips, you can just work that stuff right into your daily alotment. Unless it's like opening a Pandora's Box for you, then I understand. :)
  • Victorian131
    Victorian131 Posts: 130
    Options
    Yes, I am getting a taste for really good food too now like cheeses and fresh things from my local deli, the pestos and flavour infused olive oils seem more of a treat than a bag of chips. I am horrendous when it comes to putting a pack of chips down, I have never been good when it comes to portioning things myself, if a bowl/plate/bag isn't cleared I haven't finished eating haha.
  • UncleRiotous
    Options
    I think a lot of "treat" foods is programmed into us by advertising. I've had days when I've had stacks of calories left and wandered round my local supermarket looking for a treat only to find that there wasn't anything that I really wanted to burn the calories on. I've lost all the weight I need to now (a few years back I dropped from about 280 lbs to 189 lbs and in the last year I've dropped myself to about 160 lbs so I really don't need to loose anymore) and I'm doing lots of cycling so I am actually having problems hitting my calorie targets and not coming in under, I still don't want chocolates, crisps, cheap cakes, etc.

My indulgences tend to be things like aubergines roasted with loads of olive oil, really good chocolate (dark with high coco solid levels), banana and cashew nut butter on cinnamon and raisin bagels, home made cakes, etc. Even on my calorie levels I have to watch myself with cheese as I can completely overkill on that. I probably shouldn't be drinking too much wine either ;)

If you're still on a diet then my recommendation is to find something that you like and that you'll still be able to taste in 15 mins time (like strong dark chocolate).
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    I really wish I didn't have crisps (chips) in the house, I had a pack to 'treat' myself before my run just now...they weren't even that great, you don't get many in a pack, and after not having any for weeks and weeks, what was meant to be a nice treat for me doing so well, turned into something I'm really wishing I hadn't bothered with. Not worth the fat and gave me a stitch 1mile in to my run that I couldn't shake.
    On the up side, I'm guessing this has happened because of my lifestyle change, I'm just not a 'crip eater' anymore haha!

Has anyone else found this with any food they would have considered a food to 'treat' themselves with?

V x

yah that has happened to me a lot, but i think its a good thing. it does show your attitude to food has changed, and ive found it helpful as sometimes I go on a bit of a bender and eat chocolate/junk, but after a day of that im like ew, this is gross, and it makes you feel gross if you have been eating well.

i didnt eat any cookies or chocolate or chrisps for 4 months, and when i ate a toffee pop (chocolate toffee biscuit) i felt really sick. i used to eat whole packs of them. with crisps/potato chips i could taste the oil and how processed they are.

i eat junky snacks these days, but i do feel disappointed as it wasn't as good as i imagined or it made me feel crap. usually i try to choose good quality chocolate, i never really eat sweets anymore cause thats just *kitten*.

so yah your not alone. once you know that its nutritionally devoid and your palette changes, it kind makes you look at it and think "naa".

ill walk down the confectionary/chips eile at the supermarket and not even think to pick any of it up cause its all just salt+ sat trans fat or sugar+sat /trans fat - id rather have home made chocolate icecream made from frozen banans, coconut cream, low fat berry yogurt and if its post workout a scoop of protein powder.

the food industry is based on economy not health. they want to sell you cheap crap, not quality products. dont let them.

FIGHT THE POWER!
  • alicecee92
    alicecee92 Posts: 16
    Options
    I totally hear you. I've found it really odd how in a month, stuff like pizza and crisps gives me terribly tummy pains and make me feel really gross for quite some time afterwards. I just do not enjoy them anymore.

Best advice I can give you is to make the things you crave at home yourself and portion them out. Sweet potato crisps are far yummier than potato artificially flavoured crisps anyhow, and they're so easy to make! :smile:

Popcorn, flavoured rice cakes (Kallo do vanilla and blueberry ricecakes at only 33kcals - Umm, YUM!!!), and crackers are a good substitute for crisps too.

:flowerforyou:
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    That's why I prefer wine, it's almost always worth it :P
  • lizstyles2013
    lizstyles2013 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I hadn't had mcdonalds for about 2 months and thought I would treat myself for a change. Well I soon regretted that after I ate the disgusting cold chips and greasy burger I ended up very bloated and felt terrible. Not eating that again!!
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I find that, even when I allow myself to overindulge in food, it doesn't produce the same sense of satisfaction that it used to, it just feels uncomfortable. So, overeating doesn't even really appeal to me anymore.
  • Victorian131
    Victorian131 Posts: 130
    Options
    Yeah I used to love that overly full feeling after I had binged on starchy, stodgy foods, but now I hate it, it makes me feel ill rather than satisfied like it used to.
    I love the NSV of knowing my pallete is changing as a result of the hard work I have put in :)
    I'm loving fighing the power :D
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    I have the opposite - that treat food seems MORE satisfying! I only have it occasionally, but when I do, I feel great. I know a lot of people have difficulty tolerating junk food if they don't eat it for a while. Sadly, that hasn't happened to me!
  • babydiego87
    babydiego87 Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    i usually find cheat meals a let down. they're usually not as great as i think they are and id actually prefer to eat my "non-cheat" meals. my once vice is crunchie bars and they are NEVER let downs :laugh:
  • WendyBlendy
    WendyBlendy Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Yep.....I look forward to it all day and it's actually pretty overrated. I don't do very many treats anymore.
  • Poprocket_2012
    Options
    I have the opposite - that treat food seems MORE satisfying! I only have it occasionally, but when I do, I feel great. I know a lot of people have difficulty tolerating junk food if they don't eat it for a while. Sadly, that hasn't happened to me!

Same here
  • Athena53
    Athena53 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I've had days when I've had stacks of calories left and wandered round my local supermarket looking for a treat only to find that there wasn't anything that I really wanted to burn the calories on.

Yes, I've gotten that way, too. I know that this item will have a chemical aftertaste, or that item will leave a greasy film in my mouth, or another item is "engineered" for maximum eye appeal, which doesn't always translate to maximum taste (e.g., supermarket bakery items). I think it's one of the reasons I've kept the weight off- it's so easy to pass up junk. When I do indulge in something that has no nutritional value, I make sure it's something I genuinely enjoy.
  • phieaglefan
    phieaglefan Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    My thing has always been fast food. I ate it all the time, like I was addicted! Since I got serious in mid-February, I've had about 5 restaurant meals, but NO fast food. So last week, DH and I were out running errands and we were both starving. We stopped at Wendy's and I had a grilled chicken sandwich, no sauce and a side salad. I was worried I'd become obsessed again. NOPE! I didn't get sick or anything, it just didn't have much appeal. HOORAY!!!
  • dorthymcconnel
    dorthymcconnel Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Pepsi and sweet tea. I drink water all the time now so I don't crave tea anymore. Pepsi most of the time I can just look at the can and not want any. Of either, I'll just take a few sips and set them down. Even real ice cream didn't seem as satisfying to me anymore.On to better and healthier things, right? :happy:
  • Ramberta
    Ramberta Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    When I was on my last period, I woke up feeling cranky and with a huge craving for sugar. I indulged it by making my breakfast several cookies and some trail mix with dark chocolate (I picked out a lot of the dark chocolate bits, lol). It was satisfying to the taste, but a couple hours later I was even MORE cranky because of the sugar crash :'(

I just can't enjoy bingeing on sweets like I used to. But this is a good thing!
  • 13suzie
    13suzie Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Totally! I love your thread title! Same here. Any treat that I have looked forward to ended up being a total let down. No amount would have been enough...it's like I wanted to eat it until I was puking (which would have also been yucky)--whatever "it" was...