Someone else's NSV & the bad news for the pharmacy...

Options
SNOflake888
SNOflake888 Posts: 71 Member
Every LOVES success stories, and while I'm not finished with mine, I thought I'd share someone's big moment that I personally got be apart of. I've worked in a pharmacy ever since I was 18, and when I got the job, I was told that you deal with people who are not necessarily at their best. They might be sick (physically or mentally), taking care of someone who is sick, they might be in pain, or they have a condition that needs to be treated daily (high blood pressure, diabetes, high cholesterol, etc...) At the time, I was working at one of the bigger chain pharmacies as a cashier, and I was waiting on one of our regular customers.

He'd been coming to the pharmacy for MONTHS, and was on the "automatic refill" for his daily medications to treat high cholesterol, high blood pressure, and pre-diabetes. Month after month he'd get his regular prescriptions, spending over $50 every visit. One month I noticed that he had lost some weight, but didn't say anything. The next month and the months to follow, he'd be happier, energetic, and noticeably thinner with every visit. Eventually we'd laugh and talk about how much weight he'd lost, and how healthy he was, and how out of place he was being in the pharmacy. So his yearly doctor visit came up, they did the usual blood work and check-up, and the doctor happily reported that his 70 pound weight-loss and new exercise habits had completely REVERSED all three conditions and he no longer needed any medications whatsoever.

His auto-filled prescriptions were waiting on him at the pharmacy when he came in after his doctor visit. He walked right up to me at the counter and told me the good news. He was ELATED to tell me to take him off of the auto-refills. You could see how relieved, excited, and genuinely HAPPY he was to tell me he was off all of his medications because of the hard work and dedication he put into changing his lifestyle. The doctor had told him that he had added YEARS to his life.

Of course I was happy for him, I was happy to listen to him tell me his story, and I'm happy to tell it now. The only one NOT happy about all of this was the pharmacy chain! He would call every once in awhile wondering why he kept getting calls and junk mail about "coming back to the pharmacy" and how much they "missed his business." Everyone knows all they really care about is money, but if you're going to lose a customer, I think that is the absolute best way. :smile:

Replies

• annanderson77985
    annanderson77985 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    We need a 'like' button.. Consider this a 'like'.. :D
  • lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    YEA....Where's the LIKE or thumbs up button.
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    Fantastic:)
  • Annerk1
    Annerk1 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Great story!!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Very nice story.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options

Seconded.
  • Saunz5
    Saunz5 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    LOVE IT!!! :o)
  • ReinasWrath
    ReinasWrath Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Awww that is great :)
  • ashleen7
    ashleen7 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Really great story :-)
  • red8424
    red8424 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing. I feel all warm and fuzzy now. :flowerforyou:
  • Athena53
    Athena53 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Thanks for a wonderful story with a happy ending! I know there are some conditions that can't be fixed with changes in diet, weight loss or exercise, but it's great to see someone improve to the point that they don't need medications.
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Bravo. :smile:
  • drvvork
    drvvork Posts: 1,162
    Options
    I'm so surprised a large pharmacy doesn't revel in his success and just send him a birthday card instead of the 'reminder' cards. Geez... LOL... if we all could do that the pharmacies would all go out of business. Great Story - thank you for sharing!!
  • mattschwartz01
    mattschwartz01 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing that. We need a way to vote this one up!
  • SNOflake888
    SNOflake888 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Thanks for a wonderful story with a happy ending! I know there are some conditions that can't be fixed with changes in diet, weight loss or exercise, but it's great to see someone improve to the point that they don't need medications.

You're right, there are lots of times where diet and exercise may not reverse the condition completely. Sometimes it's hereditary, or possibly something you're just born with. Anyway, I think the important thing is, he made sure he had the "ALL-CLEAR" from his Dr before stopping his medications. This guy definitely did things the RIGHT way! On top of that, he saves his money from his co-pays!! That's always a victory too!! :drinker:
  • pandabear7486
    pandabear7486 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    *Super Like* That is awesome!
  • lanzaroteblue
    lanzaroteblue Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    What a great story to share - thanks for posting xxx
  • LuvMyBoys2
    LuvMyBoys2 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    What a motivational story. Thanks for sharing!
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Great story :flowerforyou:
  • KimberlyDCZ
    KimberlyDCZ Posts: 525 Member
    Options

THIS! 2 thumbs up!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!