Starting C25K tomorrow

Options
Crap I said it now I have to do it LOL I was a kid who looked at the 440 in PE and thought "seriously?" Potentially twelve 440's is a daunting thought.

A few questions:
I really don't want to bog myself down with a lot of gear. I will have my Blackberry for the podcast and at least for now will have to hand hold it. If I hydrate before and after, can I forgo taking a water bottle with me? Not to mention, running and drinking at the same time may be the equivalent of trying to pat my head and rub my stomach.

Up until know I would do my Wii Fit work out, 2 days a week add in strength training, and have a protein shake after that. Even with C25K I plan on keeping those up but I may not be able to do it in one shot during the day. I really don't want to add in 2 protein shakes to my food plan, either. Any suggestions?

Does anyone have any experience doing C25K with a younger child? My son is 9, VERY athletic, and would like to do this with me. I have told him definitely no on the first day because I will have enough to figure out with podcasts and heart monitors oh my. Once that is figured out though, I think this is something he could do. Any thoughts?

Anyone else starting tomorrow? Want to start a club or thread or something?

If a train head 30 mph going southwest leaves Chicago at 8:30P what time will it cross a train..... Just kidding :bigsmile:

Thanks in advance,

L

Replies

• nanmosta1
    nanmosta1 Posts: 55
    Options
    You son can do it with you easily. I took my seven year old granddaughter with me. It made it easier for me because I focused on helping her be motivated which made me motivated.

I didn't/don't carry water, but a ppiece of gum was so helpfl to keep away dry throat. Gum, sunglasses, pedometer, and a tissue are the things that go with me.

I really loved the podcast and still am amazed it took me a old couch potato and made me a runner.
  • Jenks
    Jenks Posts: 349
    Options
    I'm doing C25K with a group of friends, one of them brings her 6 and 11 year old. 11 year old plays football and does fine. The 6 year old completed the first 2 weeks. My 5 year old also did 1 day of the 2nd week and did fine. Since we live in Florida we haven't let the boys move on, because it's just to hot. I would say let him try, but use your judgment.
    I typically carry a bottle of water with me, as far as patting your head and rubbing your stomach there are intervals where you walk...that's when i drink my water.
    As far as a recovery drink, I don't do the protein shake, I drink coconut water (here's a link you might want to check out: http://healthmad.com/nutrition/seven-benefits-of-coconut-water/)

And i wouldn't worry to much about the train schedule, just enjoy the ride :flowerforyou:
  • Scncartist
    Scncartist Posts: 173
    Options
    I just restarted today! (I never finished week 1 only because I was such a SLACKER!) But, I love what I have done!!!!

I don't carry water (its only 30 minutes) but I do go early in the am before it gets too toasty outside.

I use my ipod touch, wrap it in a plastic baggie and stick it down my sports bra. It might not be sexy or classy, but it saves me from having to buy and arm band! Your blackberry might be to bulky to do this with, but I thought I'd suggest it. :-)

Enjoy!
  • kelly_a
    kelly_a Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    I am starting WK8 of this awesome program! I run in my AC basement on my treadmill...watching various TV programs. I wear a HRM and my treadmill has a clock on it. This has worked fine for me. Make sure you have a good pair of shoes. I have never had to drink during the 30 or so minutes...but your throat may get dry during the jogging sections.The 0-5 min brisk walk is a good enuf warm up for me...but you might want a good stretch after wards when muscles are warm and more flexible. Don't worry or fret if you have to repeat a week or more. Go at your pace, speed can wait. When I finish WK9, I plan on restarting to focus on that. Good Luck and have fun!
  • amtrust
    amtrust Posts: 178
    Options
    I'm all for starting a thread! I want to restart this (got sick for ten days after my first week last time.....then never went back).

Let's do it!
  • MsElphaba
    MsElphaba Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Tell ya what, I'll start one tomorrow after I run.

I like the idea of the black berry in my bra LOL. I'll make sure I don't have it on vibrate :blushing:

Maybe I will let Jake come with me. We are in an apartment complex so worst case scenario he can just run home.

I thought I could do it w/o a water bottle, but I heard of others taking it.

Thanks so much. Here's to tomorrow!

L