Graduate Certificates- I would love your opinion

Options
AIZZO4
AIZZO4 Posts: 404 Member
I am thinking about returning to school. I am not ready for a full Masters Degree program and I notice a lot of schools have Graduate Certificate programs. So I would like to get your opinions and answers on a few questions:

1. Do you have a Graduate Certificate? Did you like the program?

2. Do you think a Graduate Certificate is worth the time? Do you think it’s beneficial to job growth?

3. Do you think it’s better to just do a Masters Program?

4. Any other thoughts, comments, would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your help. Also, my degree is in HR and I am looking into Non-Profit leadership or HR Management.

Replies

• agirlscamaro
    agirlscamaro Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I would say look into the cost. Does the cost of the program give you a return in earnings or prestige in your job? I say look at cost because i'm one class away from a Master of Arts in Teaching & Learning but won't finish. I have to quit my job and the job market for teachers sucks around here. I'm not willing to move. When I started the degree program it didn't suck but quickly tanked.
  • AIZZO4
    Options
    Well I think at my current job it would be a plus. But I am looking for people who may have thought the same thing and had different outcomes.
  • lfergurson1
    lfergurson1 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Honestly I think its a great idea, I have a BA but I tell people that I did all my education is for personal enrichment. If you are the type of person who wants it to say they did it then you should I want my masters so bad to say I did it. Will it benefit me job wise I doubt it but I want it. If you look at it like its enriching your life then if you get a better job or promotion. BAM its a great deal on top of you are a more disciplined educated person.
  • AIZZO4
    Options
    Honestly I think its a great idea, I have a BA but I tell people that I did all my education is for personal enrichment. If you are the type of person who wants it to say they did it then you should I want my masters so bad to say I did it. Will it benefit me job wise I doubt it but I want it. If you look at it like its enriching your life then if you get a better job or promotion. BAM its a great deal on top of you are a more disciplined educated person.

I get what are you saying, but I also have to think money wise as well.
  • liz111006
    liz111006 Posts: 26
    Options
    1. Do you have a Graduate Certificate? Did you like the program?
    I'm in a program online right now, I am enjoying the program for the most part.

2. Do you think a Graduate Certificate is worth the time? Do you think it’s beneficial to job growth?
    Definitely worth the time, most programs are under a year.

3. Do you think it’s better to just do a Masters Program?
    I think it depends on the person and the field. For me, there is a constant possibility of moving, so paying a tons of money for a degree when it most likely won't be possible to stay on a job for a long period of time, isn't worth it. A national certification is.

4. Any other thoughts, comments, would be greatly appreciated.
    Just do your research, especially on how your field treats certificates.

Good Luck
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    I am working on my Masters and plan on completing my GCert first. However, it does not replace a Masters.

I think ANY additional education, certifications or such give you an edge in a tough market. I have been hiring several positions over the last few months and we definitely look at education and certs.
  • AIZZO4
    Options
    I am working on my Masters and plan on completing my GCert first. However, it does not replace a Masters.

I think ANY additional education, certifications or such give you an edge in a tough market. I have been hiring several positions over the last few months and we definitely look at education and certs.

Thanks
  • SyntonicGarden
    SyntonicGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I would suggest looking online to see what employers are looking for in your field. Work backwards, if you will. See what's relevant in your field.

Keep in mind that some certificates might only be recognized in certain countries or certain industries.
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    I would suggest looking online to see what employers are looking for in your field. Work backwards, if you will. See what's relevant in your field.

Keep in mind that some certificates might only be recognized in certain countries or certain industries.
    Definiely look to see what employers are looking for. I have a degree, but a lot of people in my job field go to school to earn a certificate....which there are 0 employers around that will even consider them without a degree, which ends up ultimately in a waste of time and money.