Protein bars?

Options
jodie_t
jodie_t Posts: 287 Member
Hi guys, I'm getting bored with my breakfast & wonder if anyone can recommend some protein bars?? I'm in the UK but hopefully most brands will be available here. Also hopefully something that doesn't taste like a mix of sawdust & cat's piss .. protein powder I bought last year & got the prize for being the worse thing I ever put in my mouth! :noway:

Cheers!

Replies

• ChloeRoseLejeune
    Options
    Quest bars
  • Imanido
    Imanido Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Just a sugestion if you are a bit handy in the kitchen, how about making your own, there are nice recipes around and you can try, and change quantities, ingredients to suit what you like.
  • xampx
    xampx Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I like power bar protein plus vanilla, but they are at least £1.50 each and not that filling.
    I suggest making your own. Have a look at www.proteinpow.com

My favourite ones are chocolate peanut protein bars, and I tend to make them up as I go along now, I put in a couple of scoops of flavoured protein powder, some cocoa, some peanut butter, some pea protein powder, some flaxseeds, cacao nibs, chopped nuts, whatever I have lying around, and then I mix with a little milk, shape into bars, and coat with melted 80% chocolate. They work out around 160 cals and upwards of 13g protein per serving. I use the MFP recipe maker to work it out.

Also, unflavoured protein powders do taste vile. I put pea protein in this, in small amounts, because then I can't taste it. But I wont be buying it again when the flavoured stuff is so nice.

Plus have you considered a protein smoothie for breakfast? I have them most days 26g protein and about 300 cals
  • luan999
    luan999 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    i am in the UK too..i have tried quite a few....hubby likes the supreme protein bars as they taste like chocolate bars!....i have just bought some quest bars this week from amazon (thought i would give them a go after recommendations on mfp!)-tried the chocolate peanut butter and the coconut cashew and very chewy...i prefer them after quick nuke in microwave to soften them...they are not chalky tho like some protein bars and made from natural ingredients.
    have tried the pro plex ones (toffee, choco crunch, coconut/pineapple, yoghurt....liked the coconut/pineapple best!) :wink:
  • Katrinadionne1808
    Options
    What are you having for breakfast? And why are you getting bored, do you vary it up?

I find I have to have a decent breakfast and I just don't think a protein bar would cut it for me.

Recently I've started having poached eggs in wholemeal toast, shred wheat with dried fruit, egg white omelet's, this morning I had a protein pancake with blueberries (there are different recipes that don't rely on protein powder, but if you have some left over and it's in date you could always use it up). All very quick and easy to make. To make the omelette even quicker you can buy Two Chicks Egg white so all the hard work is done, they even have an omelet mix. Can be found in Sainsbury's, Tesco and Waitrose / Ocado I think. I used to think I don't have time other than to pour out cereals, but these are surprisingly quick to make and I have two kids to get ready also

In regards to protein bars - not particular a breakfast thing but I love Pulsin Goji Berry Bars, not the cheapest but I bought when on offer on Amazon. I also have some Herbalife Choc Peanut Bars which are lovely and I now have them as my 'treat' as opposed to other chocolate.

But I've found the best thing for my diet is to look up healthy food bloggers for inspiration. Some of these include

http://nicsnutrition.com/recipe/oat-blueberry-pancake-recipe/ (this is a link to the pancake recipe)
    http://www.themodelfoodie.com/

There's a variety out there but these are my favourite two right now.

Hope that helps!
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    PhD, CNP, Bulk Powders all have good bars.

What protein powder did you buy? Remember there are different types of powders - whey, egg, brown rice, soya, pea and hemp. I would say avoid soya, hemp, pea and brown rice as they taste like vomit. Stick with whey or egg. Not only are they better tasting and generally cheaper but they are much better quality in terms of amino acid profile. Protein is determined by two markers, the Biological Value (BV) and the protein-digestibility amino acid score (PCDAAS). Whey and egg score higher than all other forms:

protein-quality.png

Most of the ones flavoured with chocolate are very tasty and am very surprised you said this.
  • voyagewithme
    Options
    Quest bars! Lemon cream pie is amazing! i hated cinnamon though. Strawberry cheesecake is pretty amazing too!
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Or you can make your own - Eat Like An Athlete - Homemade protein bars (these are in the database!)

5 servings
    8 scoops chocolate whey protein
    1 cup porridge oats
    1/2 cup almond or any other milk
    3 tablespoons flaxseeds or sliced almonds
    3 tablespoons smooth peanut butter (crunchy is too hard to mix evenly)
    3 tablespoons honey
    Mix everything together, if it's too dry add more milk or water. Get a baking tray and either coat it with butter or spray with non-stick cooking spray. Set the mixture into the dish and put it into the fridge overnight at (or an hour at the very least)

Nutrition facts: 300 calories, 40 grams protein, 18 grams carbs, 8 grams fat (without nutella)

Friend of mine has a video on his own version too: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O07paIjbfNA
  • Rssblade
    Rssblade Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Hi Jodie,
    I tend to steer clear of Protein bars, although I am going to check out ,"Make your own bar", can I recommend Protein shake USN GF-1 in Chocolate or Strawberry, it is very tasty, although having said that, my previous diet of Curry/Chips/Beer/Tacos/Chili /whisky in any combination or all ,have probably wiped any taste buds I had..
  • jodie_t
    jodie_t Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    ooo ok I am going to try some of your suggestions. I did try to make my own but it didn't turn out well, I think I prolly used the original terrible protein powder, thought if I added lots of other stuff I could disguise it, but it was still cats doo, just tarted up, it even ruined fruit smoothies. I often have eggs, cheese, nuts later on in the day, so don't want them for brekkie as well, and smoothies don't work for me either, too slurpy for first thing, bit like building on swamp. Going to order some of those protein bars tho..maybe if I find some i like I can use the ingredients list to try & make my own but with different protein powder.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Just a sugestion if you are a bit handy in the kitchen, how about making your own, there are nice recipes around and you can try, and change quantities, ingredients to suit what you like.
    ^This!

I did precisely that a couple weeks ago, they're amazing.

What I made was something like:
    500gr ground dates
    300 gr whey protein powder
    100 gr peanut butter
    120 gr chopped nuts
    120 gr dried fruit

Mixed well, added some vanilla extract and a little water until they pound into a good mix. Chilled and then portioned out to 55gr portions, rolled them in coconut flakes, and good to go. They're delicious.
  • amandabama22
    amandabama22 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I don't have much time in the morning, I wake up at 4:45 as it is and I'm not going to wake up any earlier so I eat a
    protein Bar every morning. But I just Started last Sunday.... :smile:

At Walmart I buy the box of 5 or 6 (Supreme Protein Caramel Nut Chocolate 15g) (Pure Protein S'mores 19g)