Poor Self Image

Options
For a majority of my life I've been at a healthy 130-140lbs. and since moving away from home I've been bouncing upwards, now at 174 (one year investment). I exercise like crazy doing weights, cardio, you name it. But it's been the most difficult thing to learn how to eat right (consistently) and just understand that my body is not like the girl next to me who can eat all the carbs and sweets she wants. I used to be able to have my junk food and work it off and still be at the same weight, and it's taking some getting used to that it's just not the case anymore. What is even more difficult, is trying not to look back at what I had and stay focused on what I want!

Simply frustrated, a little depressed, and really scared that I'm going to keep gaining... am just wondering if anyone has experienced such a sudden change in the way their body responds.
How do you stay consistent? How do you control your portion and stay away from junk food? How do you balance the social outings?

Replies

• deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    You most likely have been eating more than you think. Have you been logging food consistently to know? Have you had a checkup with your doctor to make sure there isn't anything else wrong that would prevent weight loss?
  • kaylindeschanel
    kaylindeschanel Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    i know it seems like it's an impossible obstacle right now, but trust me - the less you eat sweets the less you crave them.

it took me three months to learn this type of self-control. there are cookies, pasta dishes, casseroles, potato chips, scrumptious muffins, and a vanilla cake sitting in my kitchen right now. and i can honestly say that 6 months ago, i would've eaten it all up. but now, i have no inclination to stuff my face with excessive sugars.

it takes self-control.
    but with time and with discipline, you can accomplish it.

feel free to friend me for more advice/support. :)
  • jezebeldandy
    jezebeldandy Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Have you had a checkup with your doctor to make sure there isn't anything else wrong that would prevent weight loss?

i spoke to a doctor before i started this journey as i had a torn hip cartilage and was borderline morbidly obese. It turned out that I was on the wrong type of contraceptive pill for my needs so I had a contraceptive implant put in, and the weight has come off (with some very hard work) because my hormone levels have stabilized. This change in your body could be a sign of an underlying issue that you need to get sorted out. good luck!
  • silenthunder
    silenthunder Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    you know YOU the best.

BUT I would say to make sure you log your food. I only say this because there were some things I would forget to log. Also make sure that you log your exercise.

If you are worried that something might be wrong - speak to your doctor - especially if its been a while since your last visit.

You are the same person you were when you were a bit lighter. Remember that. You are the same amazing person you always have been - you just have a problem to work on. Don't let yourself beat up on yourself.

A couple things that affect weight gain outside of just the number of calories (I include these because I made mistakes with these that affected my weight)
    -WHAT you eat (regardless of if it fits in calorie wise - you need a balanced diet for your body to work properly)
    -WHEN you eat (I used to eat late at night - I don't anymore - and saw a difference in how I felt and how I rested)
    -WATER - I dunno exactly why water helps you lose weight but it does (its technically an essential part of burning fat)
    -Vitamins? (if you don't get enough of certain vitamins your body won't efficiently dispose of calories - it may even think its getting starved)

You're a unique person - and I want you to remember that the next time you get down about your weight. You're still you - and you're still awesome!!
  • Austinetc
    Austinetc Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I realize I'm on the wrong side of this group for both sex and age, but I'd like to contribute advice. Don't cheat and don't give up!

Logging your foods isn't just about measuring weight loss. It's about discovering what you eat, and then why. For example, I'd routinely have a soda and candy in the afternoon. I eventually realized that the reason was to avoid work! It had nothing to do with self esteem or appetite. I still have the urge, but now I know why and can try to fight the specific cause (i.e., avoid work in some other ways :) ). Log everything, even if it puts your daily count on the wrong side. Learn from it.

It's an oft repeated comment but quick weight loss programs just don't work for the long term. It's a self defeating fantasy. Weight loss is a full time effort, but visible progress requires the long view. The science of weight loss isn't wrong. It just takes time.

Lastly, and emphasizing silentthunder's closing, I've always thought the poem Desiderata was particularly nice for renewing self image.
  • readysetgo33
    readysetgo33 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    that is very possible but i try to be as accurate as possible and over estimate rather than under estimate- haven't been consistent with my cals. I know diet is my issue though! thanks for the suggestion
  • readysetgo33
    readysetgo33 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    oops ^^ thought I was replying just to deksgrl

Everyone thank you so much. I appreciate the kind words and advice!! Definitely what I needed. I will check in with my doctor (but been on the same birth control for a few years), who knows.

There are several reasons I know I have gained weight
    -coming out of college and not being as active and occupied
    -becoming a little depressed which led to eating and then gaining weight and repeat the cycle
    -not being consistent with my diet!!! trying fad diets, not eating one day, completely shot my metabolism.

you are right, the same person is under there somewhere! it's tough seeing all the cute clothes I have and not getting to wear them :/ but again, you make a valid point. it's a life commitment of making the right decisions of giving my body what it needs, and hopefully one day fit into them.

Eating as procrastination is a big one! Now that it's nice out maybe I'll substitute my brownie for a quick walk.

Thank you for your messages! Will try things a little differently and take it meal by meal, day by day and try to be PATIENT!!!
  • 13tea
    13tea Posts: 55
    Options
    Silenthunder, what a sweet and insightful response. All things I'm learning plus when the sweets call register them as poison to your system.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    For portion control, and to know for sure what you're doing, you have to weigh and measure food and log EVERYTHING. If you don't, you're only deluding yourself. As to motivation ( applied to social outings too); I don't want to undermine my progress, which has cost me so much in time. I don't want to go over my calorie goal, fall off the wagon, have binge days or cheat days, whatever euphemism you care to use. I don't want to go to all this trouble and then blow it for the temporary pleasure of sticking food in my face. And anybody who knows me will attest that I'm not at all good at doing things I don't want to do.
  • YolieCreator
    YolieCreator Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Be more mindful of what you're bringing home from the store. My husband needs to gain weight and I need to lose more than 100. I'm the cook, so we are all eating healthy. I just make sure the choices I'm making are the best for everyone. I know from experience when there's sweets in the house unless I am really hard on myself I'm going to give in. So I do my best to not give in or go harder at the gym so I can reward myself