Clothes--or the lack of..

Options
MIM49
MIM49 Posts: 255 Member
My closet is empty. I put all my "BIG" clothes in 10 large black plastic bags and put them in a clothes recycle box by the side of the road. I kept 3 old pants but 2 fell off when I put them on so I had to throw them out. Now I have 1 with a drawstring waist that keeps them up and a few old but huge t-type shirts to wear around the house. I bought 2 stretchy Capris, 2 t-type shirts that fit now, and 1 print shirt for "dress up" for under $100 to wear when I go out. I have a couple ofold long "house" dresses/robes that I use a paper clip to close up the neck opening so they don't fall off. That is all. I am not buying more until I reach goal weight. Hopefully it will see me through. I just don't have the money to spend on clothes I will wear (hopefully) for such a short time. My closet is full of empty hangers. I am not sure if this is a success story.

Replies

• nc805397
    nc805397 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    of course this is a success story!! Congrats on getting rid of your old clothes :D
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    Looks like a wicked NSV to me! Congrats! :)
  • SairahRose
    SairahRose Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Congrats to have come this far :D

Have you thought of ebay, charity shops/thrift stores... or borrow from friends, maybe?
  • Julie10830
    Julie10830 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Try thrift store shopping for the in-between sizes... It's actually kind of fun and when you can no longer wear them, just donate :)
  • angelcurry130
    angelcurry130 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    that is a FANTASTIC success story! way to go! maybe, if you are still having wardrobe issues, you could check local thrift stores for bargain days to get some good deals on cheap clothes to tide you over.
  • BikerGirlElaine
    BikerGirlElaine Posts: 1,631 Member
    Options
    Thrift stores! I have a blazer that I wear all the time at work that I paid $4 for, it looks great, it still had the tags on when I bought it.
  • nayeliscastellanos
    nayeliscastellanos Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Thrift stores! My favorite place to shop especially now that I am losing weight. With only 20 dollars I have been able to find great outfits for work.
  • khall86790
    khall86790 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Totally a success story! It's frustrating but it's also a frustration worth having :)
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Thrift stores!!!! If I didn't buy clothes when I was inbetween sizes, I would have had to go naked most of the time and would have been arrested.

Congrats - that is a tremendous victory!!! You should be darn proud of yourself.
  • JayStu
    JayStu Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Congrats!!
    I agree with others that thrift stores are the best for clothes during your weight loss. I got a 60$ dress shirt for 7$.
  • BigBrunette
    BigBrunette Posts: 1,543 Member
    Options
    This is definitely a success story! Congrats on your weight loss and your nearly empty closet! :)
  • mfleeg
    mfleeg Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I'd also recommend thrift stores! It's the best for when you're losing weight and need to buy clothes that fit. :)

My thrift store tips are:

1.) know your measurements. At the cheapest thrift stores, you can't try things on which is a bummer! but if you take your measurements and then take your measuring tape with you to the store, you can usually figure out what will fit and what wont! :) Same with knowing your size in certain brands you like, etc.

2.) Keep going. You might not find anything good one day, but it might be a gold mine the next week! :) there are some that i hit up once or twice a week as a quick stop on the way home :)

3.) If you go on certain days, there are usually sales :) like family days where everything is 50% off. :)
  • 1two3four
    1two3four Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    My closet is empty. I put all my "BIG" clothes in 10 large black plastic bags and put them in a clothes recycle box by the side of the road. I kept 3 old pants but 2 fell off when I put them on so I had to throw them out. Now I have 1 with a drawstring waist that keeps them up and a few old but huge t-type shirts to wear around the house. I bought 2 stretchy Capris, 2 t-type shirts that fit now, and 1 print shirt for "dress up" for under $100 to wear when I go out. I have a couple ofold long "house" dresses/robes that I use a paper clip to close up the neck opening so they don't fall off. That is all. I am not buying more until I reach goal weight. Hopefully it will see me through. I just don't have the money to spend on clothes I will wear (hopefully) for such a short time. My closet is full of empty hangers. I am not sure if this is a success story.

Congratulations! On your huge SUCCESS!!

I recently had to do the same. I was just thinking how I won't have to buy jeans again until next fall. The current ones I have are already a size too big but I'll belt them through summer.

If you have thrift stores that's a great place to get things cheap. I've also heard good things about consignment shops but have never used one. I recently got six tops and a pair of jean shorts for $12.93 before tax. I've spent under $65 on clothes since I started my weight loss in Oct 2011.
  • MusicLover5712
    Options
    It sure is a success story!
    As everyone already said thrift shops are the best
  • Tutumiller
    Tutumiller Posts: 11
    Options
    Yours is indeed a success story. Think of your health improvement. I lost 15 lbs last year and a have gained them all back. Now I'm on the wagon again. You have kept it off. Hurray for you. Tutu
  • tooliebell
    tooliebell Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    It is a great day when nothing you have fits you because it is too big, that is for sure a success. But I also understand how it feels to have nothing to wear. Right now all the pants I wear to work are 1 size too big, which isn't that big of deal, but they are starting to really look too big. I have very few shirts. I have been putting off buying new stuff because I don't want to spend a lot of money to have it go to the back of the closet after a few months. Plus I have three daughters and always feel like the money should be spent on them rather than me.

I have had several people tell me about good thrift stores to try but I haven't had the time to drive to them. Our rural thrift stores aren't that fantastic.

But at the end of the day, I'd rather wear too baggy than too tight.
  • MIM49
    MIM49 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    It is a great day when nothing you have fits you because it is too big, that is for sure a success. But I also understand how it feels to have nothing to wear. Right now all the pants I wear to work are 1 size too big, which isn't that big of deal, but they are starting to really look too big. I have very few shirts. I have been putting off buying new stuff because I don't want to spend a lot of money to have it go to the back of the closet after a few months. Plus I have three daughters and always feel like the money should be spent on them rather than me.

I have had several people tell me about good thrift stores to try but I haven't had the time to drive to them. Our rural thrift stores aren't that fantastic.

But at the end of the day, I'd rather wear too baggy than too tight.

This is very similar to me. Thrift stores would be a great idea but all there is here is a Goodwill (we are very rural) and I have checked--very poor pickings. Also money is so tight. Fixed income--Social Security--doesn't leave much. In some ways the big clothes were an indication of my progress: Look everyone, I have lost so much weight my clothes are too big. But finally they just started to look silly and it became the opposite. They actually made me look bigger because they hid my smaller size. I can't wait to hit goal weight when I will feel justified buying a new wardrobe. I am already saving. Thanks, everybody, for the nice replies.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!