If you have lost 100 lbs or more- ,What's your best tips !

Options
I need to lose more than 100 lbs and it's going TOO SLOW...16 lbs 6 mths .....HELP

Replies

• kdg0189
    kdg0189 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I would love some advice as well. I too need to lose about 100 pounds and I just started.
  • 1two3four
    1two3four Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Can I chime in a 94?

My best tip is DO NOT GIVE UP. Even when things are slow, or they stop completely. I didn't lose anything for four and a half months.

What worked for me was adding more calories. I was eating 1200 calories a day for the first year and I lost sixty pounds and suddenly after seven and a half months stopped until I upped them to 1400-ish and even more when I exercised (sometimes 1800). To give you some background I'm five foot, and late twenties. I started at 287 and am now 193.

This might not be an issue for you but it was for me.
  • starfinale
    starfinale Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    same here! I have 100 more to lose!
  • dladner5
    dladner5 Posts: 7
    Options
    Interesting that increasing your calories worked for you. I lost 50 lbs. before joining MFP eating 1200 calories per day. I have stayed with that and lost another 21 lbs. but for the past 3 months I am barely losing. I am only losing 1 to 2 lbs. a month. I may try increasing my calories slightly. I have been doing walking challenges and have walked at least 50 miles per month for the last 3 months. I have lost inches but the lbs. just don't seem to be moving. Thanks for your post.
  • 1two3four
    1two3four Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Interesting that increasing your calories worked for you. I lost 50 lbs. before joining MFP eating 1200 calories per day. I have stayed with that and lost another 21 lbs. but for the past 3 months I am barely losing. I am only losing 1 to 2 lbs. a month. I may try increasing my calories slightly. I have been doing walking challenges and have walked at least 50 miles per month for the last 3 months. I have lost inches but the lbs. just don't seem to be moving. Thanks for your post.

I mean, it surely doesn't work for everyone and I know quite a few people on here that are eating a medically prescribed ultra-low calorie diet (1000 calories) and it works. But if you're not doing this under a doctors care than I would absolutely play around with more calories.
  • Celeigh12
    Celeigh12 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Patience
    Consistency
    Use a food scale
    Log daily
    Eating as much as you can while still losing (I eat 1700 cals. This helps with the mental aspect of this - it doesn't have to be punishing!)
    Make lots of friends on MFP for support
    Walk. It's great exercise.
  • kms1320
    kms1320 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Weight for me ratcheted down, it was not linear. But my tips would be:

- Be honest with yourself on what you are eating and what your activity level is.
    - Keep a journal of the times you are hungriest and make sure you eat before those times. Never stuffed, never starving.
    - Drink a TON of water.. 1-2 gallons a day MINIMUM (your skin will rebound from the weight loss, plus it fills you up)
    - It took me several years to get where I was at my highest weight, being strict and suffering through a little hunger for 1 year is a small price to pay.
    - Consistent exercise, consistent sleep.
  • cindylombardozzi
    Options
    I also have over 100 lbs to loose. I have tried everything with no success. A woman at my doctors said she lost over 100 lbs by counting calories. She didn't exercise for the first 80 lbs but is now exercising. I am desperate! I had lost weight weight when I was younger on the Nautilus Diet. It is out of print now. You started at a higher calorie count then every two weeks it slowly decreased. You did a nautilus workout and slowly added more to it. It was fantastic!
  • kms1320
    kms1320 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    One more thing..

You have to realize there are no shortcuts, there are no tricks. Calories in has to be less than calories out. It's really very very simple.
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Never stuffed, never starving.

This!!! This is probably the best piece of advice on here. Do not let yourself get too hungry, or you will set yourself up for failure. Another great tidbit of advice I was given when I first started my journey was to eat foods that are low cal, but have a lot of volume - load your plate with fresh veggies. They are high in nutrients, low in calories, and will keep you satisfied.
  • Omakitkat
    Omakitkat Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone !
  • birdgal
    birdgal Posts: 17
    Options
    1. Weigh, measure, and log your food

2. Eat cleanly and minimize processed foods.

3. No soda, including diet

4. Minimize carbs, like pasta, rice, crackers, chips. Complex carbs such as quinoa , brown rice, and sweet potatoes are good for you.
    5. Green leafy veggies. Watch fruits due to high sugar content

6. Beans, tofu are good protein sources. Beans are also a good source of fiber.

7. NF Greek yogurt with some berries is a good source of protein, calcium, and probiotics.

8 exercise, including weight training

9. Drink at least 8 glasses of water per day

10. Patience

11. These are permanent changes and involve lifestyle changes.

12. No fast food, watch your sodium

13. High protein, moderate carb meals are good.

Just a few of the things that helped me during weight loss and things that I continue to practice during maintenance . I have been maintaining a 100 pound weight loss for two years.
  • PosterGuy1
    PosterGuy1 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I haven't quite lost 100 pounds yet, but I would say eat clean for the "initial shred." That number varies, depending on your goal. I began this journey on 1/1, and I've lost 86.4 pounds.
  • stefi2107
    stefi2107 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    EXERCISE, eat lots of veggies, exercise, water, Exercise, stay away reprocessed foods and most importantly exercise....
  • Wolfe1759
    Wolfe1759 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    My keys to success (so far) have been to gradually improve my diet or exercise over time, and consistently working on my healthy eating and workout plan. For example, I started by cutting out diet Pepsi and switching to water. Then we started cooking meals at home rather than eat out. Then we started cooking balanced meals. Then we embraced portion control. Then I started keeping a food diary. Then I started reducing sodium consumption...and on and on. I took little baby steps of improvement at a time, nothing too drastic, and tried to build on things.

As for the workouts, I try and increase the challenge every few weeks, either with longer times, or more resistance, or new exercises - - it doesn't matter, as long as it is a little bit tougher than what I did previously. I started out doing 5 minutes of cardio on a recumbent bike, and now I am up to 60 minutes on an elliptical, plus 30 - 60 minutes of free weights.

Consistency has been my biggest key, though. I worked out a plan and I try to stick to it, every day. I take very few "cheat days", and I haven't missed a workout in almost a year. If you hit the days, the weeks look after themselves.

To stay motivated, I set myself multiple small goals along the way - - to hit a certain clothing size, or to hit a given weight or BMI, for example, so I am always within no more than 30 pounds or so from my next goal - - 30 pounds is doable, whereas 168 pounds (my overall target) sounds impossible.

Good luck!