Gained some weight I think...

Options
I was 231 lbs after an intensive 3 day academic conference where I did not eat or drink almost at all.

I promised myself that I will go up to 1.700 calories a day after it and I seem to have gained 2 pounds in 3 days.

In fact, I was 234 before todays workout but I was 233 after it, so that still makes it 2 pounds.

Should I go back to eating 1.300 calories? If not, why am I gaining weight?

Could it be me being dehydrated after the conference and now I soaked up some water?

I go to gym every day for 2 hours and I watch my diet extremely closely so this is freaking me out. I am scared to even think what the number will be tomorrow to be honest.

Replies

• cherilyn666
    cherilyn666 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Also, for the first time in 4 months I had some grains in last 3 days.

I baked something out of oatmeal, ground apples and stevia powder (no fats no sugars).

Could it be the damned oats?
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    You lost water weight then regained water weight
  • jdad1
    jdad1 Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    1300 calories is not enough for you. let me find the link and will answer all your questions. However a little side note is that weighing yourself to frequently can lead you to be to stressed if you can't handle the daily fluctuations that are unavoidable.

please read this, if you have any questions let me know.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/912920-in-place-of-a-road-map-3-2013

also, here is a link to calculate your numbers after you read the above link.

thefitgirls.com/tdee-calculator.aspx
  • cardonbar
    cardonbar Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Cherilyn - If you ate or drank very little over a couple of days, you are messing with your body's metabolism. 1300 calories a day is not enough if you are working out a lot. Keep your daily intake to about 1600 and make sure you are eating the right foods. Doing too much to quickly can cause failure. Work on sustainable food and exercise for the long term. It's the only way to maintain long term weight loss. Good luck. Carol
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    1) You would've had to eat an extra 2333.333 extra calories a day over your maintenance calories to actually gain 2lbs of fat.
    2) Never weight twice in a day. Your weight can fluctuate several pounds in one day.
    3) It is probably just water weight. Give it a few days to come off.
    4) Try eating at 1700 calories a day for 4-6 weeks to give it time to take affect. You probably shocked your body, when you went from very little food, to a decent amount.
    5) You probably were dehydrated if you drank very little.
    6) Maybe you shouldn't weigh in daily. From your post, I gather that it bothers you if your weight goes up a little bit. So maybe try weighing once a week or less.

Weight fluctuation is normal. From April 10th to today, my weight has looked like this:

14ukww6.jpg

7) Above all, breathe. Relax. You seem to be stressing yourself out, when you don't need to be.
  • cherilyn666
    Options
    Based on that calculator even with sedentary lifestyle I should be eating 2.700 calories

No way this could be right?
  • shadow2soul
    Options
    Based on that calculator even with sedentary lifestyle I should be eating 2.700 calories

No way this could be right?

It might be. I don't know your stats so I can't say.

My husband for example(using heybales spreadsheet):

TDEE: 3222
    BMR: 2069
    20% Deficit: 2577
    1.3lb's per week fat loss estimate (won't always show as a weight loss)

He is 6'1" and 225lbs.
  • cherilyn666
    Options
    This is making me upset a lot.

So if I am not eating even that, but gaining weight...? How is this even possible!
  • shadow2soul
    Options
    This is making me upset a lot.

So if I am not eating even that, but gaining weight...? How is this even possible!

How much sodium do you eat?
    How much water do you drink?

It could easily be that you are eating too much sodium and/or not drinking enough water. I'd also like to point out that I retain a lot of water when I eat lower then my BMR (makes my weight go up), but it's not actually fat. I've gone up 3lbs in water weight alone before and held it for several days (6 to be exact), but its just water and comes back off eventually.

Also are you taking measurements? The weight on the scale isn't the only way to judge progress.
  • jdad1
    Options
    When a person does not eat enough over a long period of time the body starts to hold on to it's energy source(fat) in an effort to make up for the fact that it is not getting enough food.

It's al in the link I sent to you. It's long but read it and it will give you a lot of useful info.
  • liesevanlingen
    liesevanlingen Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    As one poster mentioned, sodium intake is important. High sodium makes your body retain water like crazy, if you eat a lot of processed food and don't drink LOTS of water, your body will hang onto whatever water is there for all it's worth.
  • jdad1
    Options
    What everyone is saying about sodium is correct. However the weight gain from this cause id short lived. It is kinda like a fake weight gain.
  • cherilyn666
    Options
    I do eat a bit of sodium, however I don't eat any processed food at all.

In fact, all of my food is fresh and most of it is even raw.

I did read all of that link and it seems to make sense, however I am yet to understand how eating more leads to less weight.