Black Women Avoiding Exercise To Maintain Hairstyles: Study

Options
12346»

Replies

• xRay85Rayx
    xRay85Rayx Posts: 369
    Options
    Health over a hairstyle!

I wear my hair natural now and haven't regretted it. It works for me when i workout and easier to maintain.
  • verzanie
    verzanie Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I don't have this problem and I tend to sweat a lot in my hair/scalp. I will admit that I've stopped straightening my hair, partially due to exercise, but I never really had that much of a concern with hair in the past. However, I will also admit that I have heard this complaint before, but it wasn't just from Black women, although they were included. I've heard it from Hispanic and White women as well. Vanity crosses all color lines!

I'm white and about halfway through Insanity last spring I went to my hair stylist and asked her to teach me how to fix it curly. I used to straighten my hair, and while it took 30+ min. to do, I could make it last 2-3 days, so it was worth it. If I worked out, I could generally dry it and keep it somewhat straight. Insanity put an end to that! I called it my "Insanity cut." LOL

This..I'm white european with very curly hair. Always used to straighten it but with Insanity it's just not going to happen..I'm drenched by the time I get to first stretch..Now I just keep it up!
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    My hair is totally natural now, having spent three years growing it out to this point, but before I was part of the don't work out because of my hair crowd. crowd. I wasn't about to waste the 200 dollars it takes in tracks and stylist fees with sweat or chlorine or other such nonsense. I imagine that, had I not decided my money was better spent on shoes and clothes, clothes I'd still be that person. I spend about three hours every three days caring for my hair and its a pain, honestly, but the money I save win out.

It's just a different culture/mentality in some black communities where natural hair is still considered "nappy" and "ugly" (my mother hates my hair and often makes it known she wishes I'd relax it o get a weave again) and you'll do whatever it takes to keep your style smooth, silky, and pristine.
  • CannibalisticVegetarian
    CannibalisticVegetarian Posts: 1,255 Member
    Options
    I heard about this same study, though I can;t remember where originally. Tis a pity indeed that someone would put hair before health ya know?

Personally, I've gone to the natural side and taken up dreds. This means very little care (besides washing, spraying, and the occasional re-twist) and it's much cheaper than having to shell out for the fake stuff. I'm not knocking the fake hair also, ladies. Been there, done that. When and if I want to change up my style, I'll wear a wig over my natural hair. It still costs less, holds longer, and I don't have to worry about sweating that bad boy out.
  • rivergirl5
    rivergirl5 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    103 people is such a small sample size, add in the fact that these women are going to a dermatologist, there may be other concerns at play. If I had problems with my skin I would be more concerned about the effect of sweat on my skin than sweat on my hair. While I'm not saying that this study doesn't raise a valid point, I will say that I question the statistical validity of the study.
  • BellaGettinFit
    BellaGettinFit Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    i had this problem too and i just decided that i'd rather be healthy and i'll worry about trying to get cute later. now, i'm nappy all the time and i'm down 12 lbs. lol