Gym Elliptical Calories Burned or HRM Calories Burned?

Options
I have a question. Please forgive me if it's been answered elsewhere, but i can't find it.

I am on Day 2 of having my new Polar FT7 HRM Watch and chest strap! Love it. But, i am a bit confused.

I did 30 minutes on the elliptical at the gym. I set my weight, age, into the elliptical's monitor. My heart rate was the SAME on both the gym elliptical machine and my Polar FT7 HRM at all times. HOWEVER, the elliptical said I burned 300 calories and the HRM said I burned 223 calories.

WHICH READING DO I USE?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me.

Dee

Replies

• kokalvt
    kokalvt Posts: 143
    Options
    Hi!

Always go with your HRM reading! Your heart rate was the same on your watch and on the elliptical because your HRM syncs your heart rate to the machine atuomatically! But it does not sync the calories burned. This shows you how off machines really are. Definitely trust your HRM! Hope this helped!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    HRM is more accurate than machine monitors..and from what i have read - I do not use elipictal machines - they tend to over state your burn ...
  • thatjeffsmith
    thatjeffsmith Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I take the machine calorie counter numbers with a huge grain of salt - it's just a nice number you can use to track your workouts with. I've read on their own sites that they might be off by 30% or more.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Machines are not always as inaccurate as every tends to think they are around here, it depends on the model.

My rule is I always go with the lowest number.

Both numbers are very close anyway. There is a degree of error in any estimation.
  • DeeDiddyGee
    DeeDiddyGee Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    Thank you, everyone! I will be using the HRM readings. After all, they are tailored specifically for me. Appreciate all of your input! Have a great day today!

Dee :)
  • socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    I concur with other posters.

Do not pay attention to the machine. They are not calibrated for you. Your Heart Rate Monitor is calibrated for you ( I assume you have input your weight, age, etc)

Good luck in your journey
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Most machines don't take into account sex or fitness level. The machines also don't use your heart rate to calculate the burn. They have pre-set calculations based on age, weight and RPM's. HRM is the way to go.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Weight and intensity is what determines calories burned.

HRMs require the additional data points for their formulas. It doesn't make them more accurate because of it. It's a common misconception on here.
  • vorgas
    vorgas Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Short answer is whichever one makes you happy. You are only talking about a 70 calorie difference.

The machine is an estimate based on the force required to move the pedals and an estimate about your body composition. They don't publish their formulas, and there is an incentive to make the calorie burns seem as high as possible.

Without knowing your VO2 Max (the amount of oxygen you can process) your HR monitor is going to be an estimate as well. The more effectively you can process oxygen the lower your HR will be for a given amount of work (same calories burned though).

In addition, calories burned during aerobic exercise can vary by as much as 20 calories in a 30 minute period. This is because your body is using a mix of fat combined with oxygen and glycogen (and possibly protein) to create the energy necessary.

What's more important is tracking your performance over time and total exertion. HRM are best used to track your Heart Rate. How long are you given zone of exertion (< 50%, 50 - 65%, 65 - 85%, 85% >), did you hit your max HR during the exercise, etc. They are also great analysis tools. If you are really struggling and your HR is low, then you are probably 'bonking' which generally means not enough glycogen (carbs) so you can look at your diet and adjust it for your body more accurately.

It is for this exact reason that I so strongly recommend setting MFP weight loss goal to 0 lbs a week, eating all of those calories, and not eating back exercise calories. Let deficit come from exercise.

What's really important is that you are able to increase your calorie burn over time. Whichever one you choose to use will be fine.

A side effect of using strictly the HRM is that when you try out other exercises your HRM will give you appropriately scaled calorie burns. This may make it easier to do other aerobic exercises, which ultimately is a good thing. Comparing against the numbers of the elliptical may make it tougher to get off the elliptical because you might feel like you aren't burning as much.
  • Daniele1213
    Daniele1213 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Dee, many years ago I was involved in a weight loss study at TMH. The guy who was in charge of it was a physiatrist. He had said then that machines can be as much at 50 % off. I would go with the HRM. Just my opinion. Great job!!!