For those who ''eat clean''

Options
For those who have had good results with clean eating, can you share what a typical day looks like for you as far as meals go? I am really trying to clean up my diet and want to see what the rest of you are consuming.

Replies

• BroceryShopping
    Options
    I eat instant oatmeal with splenda for breakfast
    A couple of chicken nuggets for lunch with some sweet potato casserole
    For dinner I eat spaghetti with garlic bread

Oats, Chicken, Sweet Potatoes all in my diet

It's easy to eat clean
  • ggxx100
    ggxx100 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Clean eating means many different things to people, you'll probably find. For me, clean eating is avoiding anything out of a box, and I do most of my shopping around the perimeter of the grocery store, with fresh organic produce, free range eggs and wild fish. I also avoid all fat free, low fat, and sugar free products. I'd send you to my diary but I don't log my food any longer, pretty much know my macros and cals for the day. Today's day:

Meal 1: 3 organic eggs w/ mixed spring greens on the side
    1 tbs coconut oil
    1/2 cup of oatmeal w/ chia seeds and almonds
    fruit salad (1 apple, banana, mango, strawberries, and blueberries)

Meal 2: Green Protein smoothie: 2 scoops sunwarrior protein or whey, 5 cups spinach (yes, I love my greens), homemade almond milk, almond butter, flaxseed oil, cocoa powder

Meal 3: Mixed green salad (spinach, kale, peppers, sprouts, seaweed) w/ half avocado, 7 oz of broiled salmon, and quinoa

Meal 4: Other half of avocado with a hardboiled egg.

Meal 5: Miso soup, Tuna sashimi, and brown rice w/ tons of edamame and cucumber

Dessert: my daily dose of 85% dark chocolate and strawberries
  • mommylifter
    mommylifter Posts: 123
    Options
    Clean eating means many different things to people, you'll probably find. For me, clean eating is avoiding anything out of a box, and I do most of my shopping around the perimeter of the grocery store, with fresh organic produce, free range eggs and wild fish. I also avoid all fat free, low fat, and sugar free products. I'd send you to my diary but I don't log my food any longer, pretty much know my macros and cals for the day. Today's day:

Meal 1: 3 organic eggs w/ mixed spring greens on the side
    1 tbs coconut oil
    1/2 cup of oatmeal w/ chia seeds and almonds
    fruit salad (1 apple, banana, mango, strawberries, and blueberries)

Meal 2: Green Protein smoothie: 2 scoops sunwarrior protein or whey, 5 cups spinach (yes, I love my greens), homemade almond milk, almond butter, flaxseed oil, cocoa powder

Meal 3: Mixed green salad (spinach, kale, peppers, sprouts, seaweed) w/ half avocado, 7 oz of broiled salmon, and quinoa

Meal 4: Other half of avocado with a hardboiled egg.

Meal 5: Miso soup, Tuna sashimi, and brown rice w/ tons of edamame and cucumber

Dessert: my daily dose of 85% dark chocolate and strawberries

Awesome. Wanted to see a meal plan example. Thanks!
  • PosterGuy1
    PosterGuy1 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    For those who have had good results with clean eating, can you share what a typical day looks like for you as far as meals go? I am really trying to clean up my diet and want to see what the rest of you are consuming.

Feel free to look at my diary, I think its pretty clean.
  • johnknappcc
    johnknappcc Posts: 28
    Options
    I eat instant oatmeal with splenda for breakfast

I'm pretty certain that Splenda doesn't fall under clean-eating. But like gsarah1 said, perimeter shopping, preferably organic, and healthy meats. Meat that isn't fed a bunch of GMO corn or antibiotics.

Free range, AB free chicken is a good bet, and stay away from pretty much anything that has too many ingredients.

It's pricey and time-consuming, but worth it, especially with the amount of garbage floating around in super markets these days. I'm guessing I'm around 90%+ clean eating-wise, and my diary is public, so feel free to check it out.
  • greenmonstergirl
    greenmonstergirl Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    8 am - shakeology
    10 am - 1 egg with cheddar cheese
    noon - 3 oz steak/chicken/pork steak
    2pm - 8 oz naked juice (varies which flavor but I like the green machine and blue machine)
    4pm snack - 24 almonds
    6pm - 3 oz steak/chicken/pork steak

the meat will be seasoned with garlic/sal/pepper but no sauces
  • TLWallperson
    TLWallperson Posts: 125
    Options
    I have been trying to eat clean as well. Not always perfect but getting there.

For breakfast I either eat whole grain oatmeal or multigrain hot cereal with half a grapefruit, sometimes with 1 tbsp almond sprinkled on my cereal. Or I have an omlet with tons of veggies and half a grapefruit.

For lunch it't usually stir fry with either chicken or tofu and tons of veggies. This is the one time I use oil when I cook and it's always coconut oil.

Snack time is usually a protein shake with ground flax seed and whey protein powder.

Dinner I like to eat fish or chicken or tofu again with lots of veggies including avocado.

This is just an example because I like to try to get in a least one more piece of fruit somewhere and I also eat Kashi granola bars for the extra calories.

Good luck trying to eat clean. It's difficult in the beginning but it gets easier. Plus read all the nutrients of any boxed, processed food. A lot od them are low cal, but the sodium content is outrageous.
  • dfonte
    dfonte Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I keep things simple because I don't have the motivation to cook anything elaborate for myself. There are some good recipes out there if you have the time, but here's what I'm doing today...about 6 meals because I'm just being lazy today.

Oats & protein powder

Egg whites & broccoli

Protein powder, almond milk, & bananas

Cauliflower & olive oil

Egg whites, asparagus, & peppers
  • yasminara
    yasminara Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Good question! I'm reading this too!
  • meganfoster12
    meganfoster12 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Breakfast: Protein shake (whey protein, orange juice, blueberries blended with ice)
    Lunch: Green veggies and chicken breast
    Supper: Sweet potatoe, chicken OR haddock OR ground turkey and green veggies
  • greenmonstergirl
    Options
    Breakfast: Protein shake (whey protein, orange juice, blueberries blended with ice)

I like your menu! THAT is CLEAN!
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options

Except the protein shake, pretty sure that is counted as processed food and therefore not clean. I find the clean eating trend amusing because most clean eaters seem to classify a lot of supps as clean even though they are the furthest thing from natrual
  • ggxx100
    Options

Except the protein shake, pretty sure that is counted as processed food and therefore not clean. I find the clean eating trend amusing because most clean eaters seem to classify a lot of supps as clean even though they are the furthest thing from natrual

You're right, clean is a relative term. Even raw vegan protein powder isn't "clean", but sometimes meeting macros is worth sacrificing that.

Pasteurized orange juice, naked juice are also very far from clean. However, I think OP was going for an overall approach to food, rather than strict avoiders of anything touched and processed by mankind. Which, would be impossible to avoid unless you grew your own fruits and vegetables and nurtured your own livestock.

No one can really be true clean eaters unless to resort to that, but they can still eat generally clean in relation to the rest of the population.
  • tlocke26
    tlocke26 Posts: 1
    Options
    Check out Jamie Eason's Livefit trainer. I will give you a detailed eating plan and workout plan for 12 weeks
  • ChasingKatie
    ChasingKatie Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Pretty much everyday for me:

Breakfast - eggs with homemade turkey sausage
    Lunch - huge salad with grilled chicken and avocado
    Dinner - Roasted veggies, some type of protein
    Snack - apple with almond butter
  • greenmonstergirl
    Options
    Naked Juice - After reading the ingredients and considering it MUST be refriderated and has a very short experation date...why would it not be considered clean? Just curious as everything in it could be bought and juiced together to produce the same thing. I'll never have time to juice myself so I figured Naked Juice was the closest thing to it. I only drink the Green Machine or Blue Machine so haven't looked at the ingredients of the other ones.

Shakes - I guess they are processed, true. I drink Shakeology as I feel that's the best one out there with the most nutrients...It's not really a weight loss shake per say or a protein shake per say, just a good-for-you shake.

I guess if we are getting down to it, unless you grow your own garden and raise your own meat and never go to the store, then you aren't eating clean. LOL! I think there must be different levels of eating clean. I mean oatmeal is processed and most clean eaters swear by it as clean.
  • brainzap
    brainzap Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Breakfast: Strawberries & cream
    Lunch: Cherry tomatoes, broccoli, carrots, and cucumbers, with a container of Siggi's skyr on the side
    Dinner: Salad with chicken breast, avocado, tomatoes, and cucumber. Dressed in olive oil & balsamic.
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options

I've cut bread, pasta, junk food, and sugar. My cravings for sugar have disappeared. I've lost 13 pounds in 5 weeks and am rarely hungry.

A typical day for me would be:

Breakfast:
    steel cut oats cooked with a diced apple (instead of sugar) and/or a tbsp of cinnamon
    coffee, no milk/cream, no sugar

Lunch:
    Brown rice
    Lentils
    Steamed veggies (butternut squash, kale, carrots, cabbage slices, onions, tomatoes, 1/2 an avocado, really anything, sometimes 2 veggies, sometimes 4 or 5)
    Once in a while I have fish.

Dinner:
    Repeat the lunch, but vary the veggies and the beans, or soup with veggies

Snacks:
    An apple or a boiled egg

Water:
    I fill a 32 oz. sport bottle with water and several slices of lemon and drink 2 bottles a day.

Seasoning:
    Sea salt, pepper, Tamari, toasted sesame seeds, a little cinnamon on oatmeal.
  • ggxx100
    Options
    Naked Juice - After reading the ingredients and considering it MUST be refriderated and has a very short experation date...why would it not be considered clean? Just curious as everything in it could be bought and juiced together to produce the same thing. I'll never have time to juice myself so I figured Naked Juice was the closest thing to it. I only drink the Green Machine or Blue Machine so haven't looked at the ingredients of the other ones.

Shakes - I guess they are processed, true. I drink Shakeology as I feel that's the best one out there with the most nutrients...It's not really a weight loss shake per say or a protein shake per say, just a good-for-you shake.

I guess if we are getting down to it, unless you grow your own garden and raise your own meat and never go to the store, then you aren't eating clean. LOL! I think there must be different levels of eating clean. I mean oatmeal is processed and most clean eaters swear by it as clean.

Naked Juice Green Machine is definitely delicious, that's for sure. However, Naked Juice was dealing with a lawsuit in terms of it's claims. Here's a little excerpt:

1) Labeling its products as “Non-GMO” when, in fact, it knowingly used genetically-modified ingredients in its products.

2) False and misleading labeling of its products as “100% Juice”, “100% Fruit” and “All Natural” when the products contained many different synthetic ingredients and synthetic fibers such as:

* Fibersol-2 — a proprietary synthetic digestion-resistant fiber produced by Archer Daniels Midland and developed by a Japanese chemical company.

* Fructooligosaccharides — a synthetic fiber and sweetener.

* Inulin — an artificial and invisible fiber added to foods to artificially increase fiber content with the typical fiber mouth-feel.

3) Intentionally misleading customers.

I couldn't tell you for sure, but apparently the case was dismissed. However, there have been two following suits held against Naked juice, again specifically targeting the "natural" claims the brand makes.

Regardless, it tastes good and it won't kill ya. That's all that matters, no?
  • _rozamu
    _rozamu Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    My diary's open feel free to have a look :)