PLEASE HELP- healthy, filling foods on a tight budget?

Options
Hi everyone,
I am not new to the whole healthy eating thing, I am educated in it all, but I fell of the wagon after having my son 5 months ago.. Now I am back on it, I really need help with eating low calorie options on a REALLY tight budget. I am not used to having to penny pinch, but at the moment we are living off less than $50 a week for groceries and its HARD not to buy cheap, filling, high calorie foods. I would really appreciate any suggestions for FILLING, low calorie, cheap meals..... :ohwell:

Replies

• robinred2404
    Options
    Lentils. They are $1.00 a pound in my area, and are full of protein and fiber, and are low cal.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I love making Cuban black bean soup--I use cans, but it can be even cheaper if you buy dry beans. Buy grains and beans in bulk and yogurt in a large tub instead of singles. Buy veggies that are in season or frozen.
  • robinred2404
    Options
    Also 100% whole grain pasta can be healthy and low cal as long as you watch portion sizes. It typically runs around $1.00-$1.50 a box (which normally has seven servings). You can top it with canned pasta sauce (which is low cal just look for brands that don't add sugar) the canned type of pasta sauce is generally $1.00. Cheap protein sources are canned tuna fish, and tofu, and dry legumes. Legumes are all very high in protein and fiber. For breakfast you can buy a old fashioned oats.
  • islandlifenc
    islandlifenc Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Seriously, you can do pretty well on a budget if you just stick to whole, unprocessed foods and ditch the fast food. I agree with others, that dry beans are a great choice, bags of frozen veggies can be bought pretty cheap (even if they're not organic, it's still a good choice), bags of frozen boneless, skinless chicken breast, or buy whatever meats are on sale in bulk, then portion them out in Ziploc bags and freeze them. Stick with seasonal fruits and that'll help, too.

Eggs are also a good, cheap protein source, and a good ingredient if you want to make homemade fried rice.

Also, rolled oats, bags of rice. (I know brown rice is 'the thing', but I still prefer Jasmine rice.)

With the right ingredients, you can work magic on $50/week.
  • dorthymcconnel
    dorthymcconnel Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Www.hillbillyhousewife.com and www.heavenlyhomemakers both have great recipes that are nutritious and in most cases, inexpensive. Hillbilly housewife in particular has a recipe for taco style lentils and rice. Lots of protein and you can eat the dish as is or as a soft taco or burrito. My son, who is super picky, loves the stuff.

A rotisserie chicken is about $5 and you can get several meals out of it. Add a salad, which can be very inexpensive, especially this time of year and you've got a good meal.

Homemade veggie beef soups are good.

Breakfast for supper is always good and fairly cheap yet nutritious. And for breakfast, eggs and oatmeal are always good choices for nutrition as well as price.
  • pet1127
    pet1127 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I get a lot of my veggies of the reduced racks at farm boy what we don't eat that day I blanch and freeze the rest
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    A russet baked potato smothered in cottage cheese with a sprinkling of chives (you can grow them in a pot on your kitchen window sill). It is filling and cheap and nourishing.

Eggs are always a good option as they are pretty much a perfect protein and reasonably inexpensive.

Steel-cut oats are inexpensive, higher in protein than conventional oatmeal and are delicious.

You can go to the farmer's markets and get really good deals on vegetables. Freezing them for the winter isn't hard--all you have to do is parboil them and spread them on cookie sheets and place them in the freezer. When they are frozen, you load them into bags. You can freeze soup vegetables in bags like that and then they are always ready to make soup.

Shop the meat specials for things like stew/soup meat. Soups and stews are very filling and nutritious.

Beans and rice are a staple food in many places because the protein in the rice completes the protein in the beans. You spice them up and pop some cheddar on top and put them in the oven until the cheese gets melty. Delicious, filling and cheap.

I forgot to mention hummus. That is a staple food at our house. I don't eat wheat but my husband loads a couple of pita breads with a spinach-flavored hummus (that I make), cucumbers and peppers. One of his favorite dinners. He doesn't eat dairy but the wheat and chickpeas in combination yield a fair bit of protein. You could put in a bit of meat or cheese to boost the protein level. Hummus is VERY filling.
  • evdvelde
    evdvelde Posts: 26
    Options
    you can make a lot of things with chick peas, canned black bean etc.
  • susanjean62
    susanjean62 Posts: 200
    Options
    Brown rice,whole wheat pasta with (cheap) generic frozen vegies with any type of beans. You can buy an entire bag,very cheap. If you buy canned,make sure you rinse them,as they have quite a bit of sodium. Check your local grocery store for sales on chicken or beef. If there is a good sale,try to buy a good amount,and then cook and freeze in individual servings. Go to groupon.com for coupons. I also like low carb,high fiber tortilla's. I toast the tortilla in the skillet,with a little olive oil,mash some beans,put salsa,a little fat free cheese and it's a filling,healthy meal. I buy grapes(on sale) and put them in individual servings(15 grapes) and freeze them. It will nip your sweet tooth. Try your best to stay away from too much processed food. Don't buy anything with more than 3 ingredients listed,as it is usually all chemicals,if not. Sometimes,you have to be creative,and look for ways to eat healthy and be on a budget. Wish you the best!
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Do you live near farmers' markets? Sometimes they discount produce at the end of the day. Learn their schedules.

I am not one of those people who believes it's easy to eat well on little money. It can be done, but it requires a lot of planning and determination. Best of luck.
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    could you say what size your family is?
  • happypath101
    happypath101 Posts: 534
    Options
    Great question. My favourite go-to's:
    * Learn how to make soup. It's SO easy and cheap once you get it. You'll never waste limp veggies again.
    * Chick peas. I love them fried with a little garlic and olive oil.
    * If you can afford to get one (or ask for it for a present) get a crock pot. It will open up a world of opportunity for low-cost healthy food. And, it's a working persons' dream. You come through the door at the end of the hard day and dinner is ready. Heaven!
  • pmteet
    pmteet Posts: 69
    Options
    You just had a baby if you are breastfeeding you can not eat like you would otherwise. Your body needs more calories and in theory should be eating a more balanced diet (although that has been argued) . If not then someone mentioned thehillbillyhousewife website. Dry beans are really cheap, fill you up, and are very diverse.

How many people are in your family?
  • ashteal91
    ashteal91 Posts: 7
    Options
    Wow, thanks everyone for so many options.. I had completely forgot all about beans and legumes etc.. I know they are very filling.. Just wrote down a bunch of ideas... The only problem about buying in bulk is having the money up front to do it. For eg. bulk packs of steak are around $30 which is already over half of my budget.. I am in Australia by the way, not sure if that makes a difference.
  • 1two3four
    1two3four Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Like others have said, sticking to whole foods is your best bet.

Buy fruits and vegetables in season (strawberries are dirt cheap here at the moment).

Soup and Chili.

Beans, lentils, whole chickens, eggs.

Whole grains. Brown rice, pasta and breads.

If you and your baby make up your whole family then you should be OK with that, now if you're family is larger I can see how much tougher it can get.
  • ashteal91
    Options
    Also, I'm buying for
    Myself
    My fiance
    My 5 month old (only has rice cereal and small amounts of fruit and veg)
    & 2 dogs, 1 cat.
  • ashteal91
    Options
    Www.hillbillyhousewife.com and www.heavenlyhomemakers both have great recipes that are nutritious and in most cases, inexpensive. Hillbilly housewife in particular has a recipe for taco style lentils and rice. Lots of protein and you can eat the dish as is or as a soft taco or burrito. My son, who is super picky, loves the stuff.

A rotisserie chicken is about $5 and you can get several meals out of it. Add a salad, which can be very inexpensive, especially this time of year and you've got a good meal.

Homemade veggie beef soups are good.

Breakfast for supper is always good and fairly cheap yet nutritious. And for breakfast, eggs and oatmeal are always good choices for nutrition as well as price.

Thanks heaps for those websites, just had a glance and they are great!
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    There are fresh produce co-op all over the country, you just need to look for them. The one in my area (rocky mountains and some of the west coast) is called Bountiful Baskets.

For $16.50 this week I got:

Fruit:
    Pineapple
    3 bell peppers
    7 bananas
    1 small watermelon
    1 cantaloupe
    1 bag granny smith apples
    3 tomatoes

Veggies:
    1 head leaf lettuce
    4 artichokes
    3 yellow squash
    1 bag green beans
    3 white onions

I rarely buy produce anymore and every week the it's different... it's like christmas! See if you have something like this in your area.
  • ashteal91
    Options
    There are fresh produce co-op all over the country, you just need to look for them. The one in my area (rocky mountains and some of the west coast) is called Bountiful Baskets.

For $16.50 this week I got:

Fruit:
    Pineapple
    3 bell peppers
    7 bananas
    1 small watermelon
    1 cantaloupe
    1 bag granny smith apples
    3 tomatoes

Veggies:
    1 head leaf lettuce
    4 artichokes
    3 yellow squash
    1 bag green beans
    3 white onions

I rarely buy produce anymore and every week the it's different... it's like christmas! See if you have something like this in your area.

Wow, that is extremely cheap. I just googled and noticed that you are in America? I am going to see if they have something like this in Aust. because that would be perfect.
  • ohmscheeks
    ohmscheeks Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Love this thread, keep it going. *gets paper & pen out*